Another missed opportunity

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
mexi cali
Guru

Another missed opportunity

Post by mexi cali »

Castanet reports that a Penticton man received 15 months in jail and two years probation for fondling his teenaged baby sitter.

On more than one occasion, he picked her up from her home and took her to his where she was told that she would be house cleaning instead. He drank while she worked and then he asked her for a massage which she obliged and then he massaged her. Then it accelerated.

The defense actually suggested that it likely started innocently enough and then got out of hand.

He then went on to say that had the defendant not been drinking, it likely wouldn't have happened at all.

He was a family friend.

15 months. Sexual abuse of a minor (I'm guessing here because they are not clear on her age except to say that she is/was a teenager).

He already has one conviction to his credit. He has to register as sex offender.

Not near enough. 15 months. And some woman was wailing as he was led out of the courtroom. A woman actually cares for this man. Unless she was upset that she missed out on castrating him, I don't get it.

15 months. Should have been five years. No time served. No early parole and general population.

What will it take?
Last edited by mexi cali on Feb 16th, 2015, 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
gman313
Lord of the Board

Re: Another missed opportunity

Post by gman313 »

mexicalidreamer wrote:Castanet reports that a Penticton man received 15 months in jail and two years probation for fondling his teenaged baby sitter.

On more than one occasion, he picked her up from her home and took her to his where she was told that she would be house cleaning instead. He drank while she worked and then he asked her for a massage which she obliged and then he massaged her. Then it accelerated.

The judge actually suggested that it likely started innocently enough and then got out of hand.

He then went on to say that had the defendant not been drinking, it likely wouldn't have happened at all.

He was a family friend.

15 months. Sexual abuse of a minor (I'm guessing here because they are not clear on her age except to say that she is/was a teenager).

He already has one conviction to his credit. He has to register as sex offender.

Not near enough. 15 months. And some woman was wailing as he was led out of the courtroom. A woman actually cares for this man. Unless she was upset that she missed out on castrating him, I don't get it.

15 months. Should have been five years. No time served. No early parole and general population.

What will it take?

the judge said none of this - the defence did
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Slip of the keys. Thanks for the heads up.

Really doesn't matter though. It's still disgusting that anyone would attempt to marginalize this kind of behavior.
mysideofthings
Board Meister

Post by mysideofthings »

It happens A LOT. It rarely ever gets reported. The fact that it was a teenager and not a child might partly be why the sentence was so light, at least that is my assumption. And probably the fact it wasn't (to someone anyway) 'bad enough' to warrant a harsher sentence.

I have gone through several types of this kind of thing in childhood, attempted assault as a teenager, and other situations as an adult. All were vastly different situations. For various reasons, people were not charged. As far as childhood events, I was told that I must not have remembered right. And the things that happened as an adult, I was basically blamed for it.

The damage lasts forever. I don't think many people seem to consider that. It ruins lives no matter how innocent something starts out as.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Too many whiners out in the public.

Too much PC rhetoric going on with social media and word of mouth.

Too many money hungry lawyers trying to "get the best defense" for their clients.

Not enough funding for prisons, which puts pressure on the courts to keep sentences light.

All of this results in hard core criminals getting light sentences.

Time for the public to stop being such sissies and time for the "justice" system to stop being about money.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Maybe what the guy really needs is help with his drinking problem as well as jail.
We keep punishing but not trying to solve the real problems like drugs and alcohol.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Bsuds wrote:Maybe what the guy really needs is help with his drinking problem as well as jail.
We keep punishing but not trying to solve the real problems like drugs and alcohol.

I disagree, it seems to me that we keep looking for excuses to explain peoples behaviors and actions instead of actually dealing out justifiable punishments.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

Dizzy1 wrote:I disagree, it seems to me that we keep looking for excuses to explain peoples behaviors and actions instead of actually dealing out justifiable punishments.

I couldn't agree more.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Bsuds wrote:Maybe what the guy really needs is help with his drinking problem as well as jail.
Dizzy1 wrote:I disagree, it seems to me that we keep looking for excuses to explain peoples behaviors and actions instead of actually dealing out justifiable punishments.

I didn't say no punishment.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I would say that going dry in jail would help his drinking problem.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Guess you haven't heard.......... lots of drugs and alcohol in the clink.
We're lost but we're making good time.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

mexicalidreamer wrote:I would say that going dry in jail would help his drinking problem.

Until he gets out.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Until he gets out.

I think that without treatment , it would exacerbate the problem...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Nibs wrote:Guess you haven't heard.......... lots of drugs and alcohol in the clink.

I think "lots" is probably an overstatement but yes, there is a brand of prison hooch available through local entrepreneurs.

It is a prized commodity though and not available to everyone.

And apparently it tastes like crap.

Return to “Social Concerns”