Dr Suess - books teach children lesson about life

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Sige
Übergod

Re: Dr Suess - books teach children lesson about life

Post by Sige »

I loved his books, my kids loved his books and now my grandmaiden loves his books. That's good enough for me.
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Sige wrote:I loved his books, my kids loved his books and now my grandmaiden loves his books. That's good enough for me.

Now I see a bit more about the guy - Geisel - and why I don't think his books aren't any good for kids.

Geisel lent his creative talents to far more explicit, adult-focused wartime propaganda when he joined the New York daily newspaper PM as a political cartoonist. Dr. Seuss Goes to War: The World War II Editorial Cartoons of Theodor Seuss Geisel

Dr. Seuss (1904-1991) may be best-remembered for his irreverent rhymes and ...and the auteur of a naughty book for adults.

http://www.brainpickings.org/2012/08/10 ... -cartoons/
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

He may have been the world's biggest *bleep* but...

Sige wrote:I loved his books, my kids loved his books and now my grandmaiden loves his books. That's good enough for me.
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Wow!! At 7 I never questioned why Captain Crunch was on the lower shelves at grocery stores.
A lifetime of cynicism must suck.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

^ That is logic. A five year old kid understands what logic is. Build a house out of straw - it gets blown down.

^ That is NOT logic. It's a crime to inflict Dr Seuss illogical ramblings on any child. The same way Cap'n Crunch rots a kids teeth, Seuss garbage words damages kids brains.

Even his own name is not logical. The logical way to spell it would be SUEss instead of SEUss.

I also happen to think his face is not logical. Probably scares kids and gives them nightmares.

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thinktank wrote:[b]Now I see a bit more about the guy - Geisel -

Should have seen it in the bio link I posted.

http://www.thenorthwindonline.com/exhib ... anitarian/

In May 1954, Life magazine published a report on illiteracy among school children, which concluded that children were not learning to read because their books were boring. Accordingly, William Ellsworth Spaulding, the director of the education division at Houghton Mifflin who later became its chairman, compiled a list of 348 words he felt were important for first-graders to recognize and asked Geisel to cut the list to 250 words and write a book using only those words.[46] Spaulding challenged Geisel to "bring back a book children can't put down."[47] Nine months later, Geisel, using 236 of the words given to him, completed The Cat in the Hat. It retained the drawing style, verse rhythms, and all the imaginative power of Geisel's earlier works, but because of its simplified vocabulary, it could be read by beginning readers. The Cat in the Hat and subsequent books written for young children achieved significant international success and they remain very popular today. In 2009, Green Eggs and Ham sold 540,366 copies, The Cat in the Hat sold 452,258 copies, and One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish (1960) sold 409,068 copies—outselling the majority of newly published children's books.[48]

Wikipedia

The man was awesome.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Fancy wrote:
The man was awesome.

a marketing genius.

First - produce books that are not logical - making kids kind of dumb.

Then - his marketing department telling the parents how awesome his books are - so they think they got a real deal.

That is awesome.

Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

^ I read the book once - then it went in the garbage.

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

What a waste - another child would have loved to read it - sharing is good.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

the bargain bin. cheap stuff - not much good. that's dr seuss books.

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Those are movies - not relevant but I did notice How the Grinch Stole Christmas isn't visible there.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thinktank wrote:First - produce books that are not logical - making kids kind of dumb.

Not accurate as he produced books children WANTED to read - improving the children's ability to read.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Fancy wrote:Not accurate as he produced books children WANTED to read - improving the children's ability to read.

Not really. His markeing department made you and thousands of others believe that.

^ quality. never get tired of quality.

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thinktank wrote:Not really. His markeing department made you and thousands of others believe that.

That doesn't seem to be the case in the excerpt I posted. Children weren't reading well and his books promoted literacy.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Book BOOKS? What kid needs books...

Just do what all parents I see do...give them you Ipad/Iphone...Sit them infront of netflix.

I KNow im keeping my Encyclopedias from my parents and when I have kids (which its not soon, every parent I look at look tired and worn out but thats another topic) Ill teach them how to use a book...both encyclopedia and thesaurus and Dictionary. without the damn internet.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.

Return to “Social Concerns”