I'm a single mom

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
V-Rated
Guru

I'm a single mom

Post by V-Rated »

Not a day goes by I don't hear that... I'm a single mom - Who cares???
I am so tired of hearing that. It is like an excuse for their problems. Pull up your panties and deal with it. Are your children such a burden on you? There are many single dads out there as well, so you really aren't special in any way.

Everyone has their sob story, so what is the big deal that you are a single mom? My neighbor is a single mom, she also is losing her hearing and sight. Never does she complain, she is probably one of the most positive people I know! I admire her. Her daughter is entering the wonderful/trying teen years and only a deadbeat for a father. Does she ever start or finish any sentence with... I'm a single mom - No! she never has.

Just tired of the whining from women that think they have it so rough.
(by the way... I AM a single mom and take full credit in raising my boys into the wonderful men they are today!)

~V~
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~
Kelowner
Fledgling

Re: I'm a Single Mom...

Post by Kelowner »

I'd like to add to this! (Not directed at you!) - Just because you can have children, doesn't mean you should.
Having a kid isn't a massive achievement, dogs give birth too.

Having children without planning for it is a sure sign the parents are unfit to raise their kids, especially in this day and age.

Unfortunately the problem is that the smart people that know how to live within their means are having less children, while the government rewards low income/poverty line families for popping out more factory workers.

Gene pool could use a little chlorine.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Kelowner wrote:I'd like to add to this! (Not directed at you!) - Just because you can have children, doesn't mean you should.

Having children without planning for it is a sure sign the parents are unfit to raise their kids, especially in this day and age.

Unfortunately the problem is that the smart people that know how to live within their means are having less children, while the government rewards low income/poverty line families for popping out more factory workers.

That's pretty damn judgmental of you. Who knows what life brings that leads to single parenthood? I was raised by a single Mom, she was a young widow. I have seen friends who were with what seemed like a dream guy and as soon as the baby came they flaked off. I have a guy friend who's partner turned into a drug addict and he is now raising the children. She was perfectly healthy and then turned. Either way, single parenthood is not ans easy thing to do and I admire those who do it with their head held high.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
ValB58
Banned

Post by ValB58 »

V-Rated wrote:Not a day goes by I don't hear that... I'm a single mom - Who cares???
I am so tired of hearing that. It is like an excuse for their problems. Pull up your panties and deal with it. Are your children such a burden on you? There are many single dads out there as well, so you really aren't special in any way.

Everyone has their sob story, so what is the big deal that you are a single mom? My neighbor is a single mom, she also is losing her hearing and sight. Never does she complain, she is probably one of the most positive people I know! I admire her. Her daughter is entering the wonderful/trying teen years and only a deadbeat for a father. Does she ever start or finish any sentence with... I'm a single mom - No! she never has.

(by the way... I AM a single mom and take full credit in raising my boys into the wonderful men they are today!)

~V~

WAY TO GO!! On behalf of your sons..........THANKS MOM!

ON MY behalf........The world NEEDS MANY MORE.....Just like you. GOOD JOB.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Not a day goes by I don't hear that... I'm a single mom - Who cares???

I know right ?..... I was a single Dad for a while and no one gave a *bleep*.......
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

When I was just single nobody gave a damn either.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

V-Rated wrote:Not a day goes by I don't hear that... I'm a single mom - Who cares???

~V~

i agree with you 10000%, when my mother kicked out my deadbeat father out of the house all use kids were still underaged
she worked 6 days a week at 3 jobs to make ends meet-never took or got help from anyone.never ever did she pull the i am a single mother card, so once in a while when i hear the i am a single mother with one kid card ,i just shake my head .and just
walk away,
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

I am (was) a single parent as well. I met my wife when my boys were 11 and 12 years old. Their dad was, and still is, an alcoholic. I did what I had to do including raising my kids without any help from their father. Honestly, in some ways it was easier in that I could raise them MY way and not have to consider anyone else's preferences.

I was so happy to have my kids, and I didn't complain about being a "single" parent. In all honesty, I was so glad to be rid of him........ :D

As a side note, my youngest son's wife cheated on him after 6 months of marriage. He left and now they're both single parents. SHE is exactly who you're talking about. My boy? He loves being a dad and is a great one, despite having a bad role model in his dad.
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
V-Rated
Guru

Post by V-Rated »

Everyone has different circumstances why they became a single parent. My Mom was widowed when I was still young.
I was married, then he went through the mid-life crisis and left me and my boys. This isn't a new thing.
Either way, these are the cards we were dealt. My Mom never ever complained, if anything she was so grateful to have me, as I am with my boys.
The way one became a single parent for most was not a choice, but it is reality. I think what put me over the edge was reading an ad today stating "Single Mom looking for Rental"... Like is that supposed to make me feel bad for you? There are many successful single mom's looking for rent. What does your marital status have to do with that?
I am proud I am a single Mom, along with many other things I am proud of... but I do not have the need to advertise it. There is no need to classify yourself and use it as an excuse or look for pity.

When women feel the need to say they are single Moms in situations, to me it screams... Hey! I'm needy.

~V~

Side note: I really am not trying to offend single moms. I have seen some regulars post the *single mom* pity party here, but I guess I just want people to know that many are proud of your accomplishments in raising a child on your own. Be proud, and stop using it as an excuse, sympathy, or handouts.
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Kelowner wrote:I'd like to add to this! (Not directed at you!) - Just because you can have children, doesn't mean you should.

This is just about the stupidest comment I have read.
I planned my children, and raising them properly is a massive achievement. I realize many people do that, but it still is a very important job.
I am a smart person, and I live within my means, so I am not sure what your point is.
If the chlorine cleans out the ignorant types who have no clue what single parenthood entails, that would be a good thing.
My husband has passed away, that doesn't make our family second class citizens, or fodder for your ignorant judgements on our family.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

To plays Devil's Advocate, I think Kelowner is directing his/her comments at those who continue to have children regardless of how ill prepared they are too raise them (financially, emotionally, etc.).

I think everyone here fully realizes their are situations you can't plan for. The death of a spouse or one that walks out on their family isn't something one typically factors into their parenting plans. Things happen and plenty of single parents deal with it very admirably. Hell, there are single parents out there who do a better job than some two parent households.
JonyDarko
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by JonyDarko »

Start with your pool.
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

Always Sunny wrote:To plays Devil's Advocate, I think Kelowner is directing his/her comments at those who continue to have children regardless of how ill prepared they are too raise them (financially, emotionally, etc.).

Heh heh, then I guess they were directed at me. I was absolutely one of those girls who had no job, no money, and no life brains. I was with this guy long enough to get pregnant twice, like an idiot. I left when I was 6 months pregnant with my second son.

I guess the difference is that's when I grew up.
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
Kelowner
Fledgling

Post by Kelowner »

Always Sunny wrote:To plays Devil's Advocate, I think Kelowner is directing his/her comments at those who continue to have children regardless of how ill prepared they are too raise them (financially, emotionally, etc.).

I think everyone here fully realizes their are situations you can't plan for. The death of a spouse or one that walks out on their family isn't something one typically factors into their parenting plans. Things happen and plenty of single parents deal with it very admirably. Hell, there are single parents out there who do a better job than some two parent households.

Hit the nail on the head. Obviously some things you can never prepare for, and I commend the single parents that work through those situations. But if you're living in your parents basement and have a baby with your boyfriend/girlfriend of 7 months I have zero sympathy for you. Also getting knocked up during a one night stand is another situation that doesn't get sympathy, only person to blame is yourself. I know too many people with "surprise" children who act like they've accomplished something.

@JonyDarko: Don't worry, I don't plan on having kids. I want to afford a pool. :)
TJ05
Fledgling

Post by TJ05 »

~V~
-

Please tell me how you equate someone saying that they are a single parent to their children being a burden? As a single mom I would think that you would realize that everyone has a different story and how everyone struggles differently. What was fine for you, may be a real struggle for another. When someone says they are a single parent, they are just saying that they are raising their child alone. Oh and by the way, I too am a single parent to a special needs child and by no means is my child a burden! I put myself through school, have a good job and a paid for house. Yes I am a single mom and damn proud of the fact of what I have achieved in life but I do not feel like I am somehow better than others that may need help along the way.

Return to “Social Concerns”