Wait wait wait a major social issue.

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Wait wait wait a major social issue.

Post by I Think »

A friend is on the waiting list for a knee replacement in Vernon. She can hardly walk and has a "bone on bone" condition, which is debilitatingly painful.
Her surgeon has a waiting list of 500 patients, but he is only allowed to perform 3 operations per week, for a maximum of 150 per year. This means that it will take him 3 and a third years to clear his wait list, as long as he has no new patients.
Meanwhile in the brand new taxpayer funded wing at the Vernon hospital, two brand new shiny operating theaters have no scheduled operations, and remain unused.
The interior health Authority is negligent in its duty of care for Vernon citizens.
We're lost but we're making good time.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Re: Wait wait wait a major social issue.

Post by JayByrd »

It's not limited to IHA...it's province-, and perhaps nationwide. My father was in the same boat for a hip replacement (Vancouver Island Health Authority). His surgeon was only doing one a week. He finally bit the bullet and went with a private clinic. $20K later he's good to go. This isn't an option for many people though, especially ones who haven't drawn a paycheque in 20 years.

I don't know how much money would have to be thrown at this problem to make it better. But my Dad would have been in a wheelchair by the time he got his surgery if he'd waited, and he would have ended up costing the health care system a lot more in the long run. Even if all the BC government cares about is money, it makes sense to fix this problem. And if (God forbid) they decide that they care about the health and well being of people, then the reasons start piling up. But all we get are more cuts and promises that "we are committed to blah blah blah..."
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

If you want "free" (msp paid) then there is a lineup. You can get it done next week if you do it privately. How much would our taxes rise if every procedure was able to be done in a quick and timely manner where everyone is satisfied.

....said the person who isn't waiting uncomfortably for a knee operation, but who doesn't want to pay more taxes.
You and 71 others Like this post
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Allowing long wait times to happen is not a cost saving measure. The increased costs of looking after those whose condition is debilitating adds to the cost burden on the system, while doing nothing to resolve the issue.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

My mom got a hip replaced just a few weeks after it being diagnosed that she needed one. If it's urgent, surgeries are done quickly. But of course, everyone thinks they're a priority.
Boda
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Boda »

Nibs wrote:Allowing long wait times to happen is not a cost saving measure. The increased costs of looking after those whose condition is debilitating adds to the cost burden on the system, while doing nothing to resolve the issue.

I agree Nibs.
I believe these inefficiencies stem from poor management skills.
Popular political mantra will claim that our medical system is inefficient because hospital staff make too much money, but when as you say we have grandiose operating theaters being built for display without budget or forethought to secure sufficient financing to staff said operating theaters me thinks there may have been some poor decisions made in the offices above the nurses station.

On the other side of the coin, my mother came to KGH from out of town last month for a medical issue and received corrective surgery before going home. So I also agree with Jonrox that when there's an emergency the system usually delivers in time, and I thank the professionalism of staff for accomplishing that with the facilities available.
Seems to me that funds have been misappropriated when those multi million dollar facilities sit vacant while elderly patients sit in the hall in a wheel chair or as in moms case in an interview room with a cot for 18 hours dressed in a surgical gown because the medical affliction in abled her sit up.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Everybody wants things right away, but as soon as MSP premiums or taxes are raised everybody complains.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Boda
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Boda »

Captain Awesome wrote:Everybody wants things right away, but as soon as MSP premiums or taxes are raised everybody complains.

Not everybody Captain, I would gladly pay higher MSP premiums and/or higher tax rates for delivery of efficient medical services.
But not before a management team charged with goals of "improving medical services" with their current budget versus being charged with "see what you can cut no matter what affect if has on services provided" is put in place.
I know it's all part in parcel but I do believe that the root of the problem is the current managerial staff imposed by right wing government with the attitude that those dumb grunts on the floor make too much money.

I surely do not claim to know how to run a hospital but from a very limited insight garnered from having family work for IHA I see decisions being made that I can only attribute to an "us versus them" stand point by management.

An example is the reluctance to hire full time nurses. It seems the policy is to fill positions with multiple part time employees in an effort to limit benefits they may be eligible for with a full time job status. The result being difficulty in scheduling staff, and the result of that being increased costs due to unwarranted OT all for vindictive reasons.

I think an effort to accept the fact that medical services providers are a valuable commodity that should be well paid instead of an attitude of I'm going to hire two nurses at .6 versus one full time nurse will result in overall savings even if the full time employee does reap a couple grand in benefits that they managed to "save".
Puddlejumper40
Board Meister

Post by Puddlejumper40 »

You can also be put on a waiting list in case there is cancelled surgery. I had over a two year wait for my knee surgery but I was put on the wait list and I had it done within six months!
Yours truly,

JollyJumper40 :)
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

How many highly paid no brainer managers does the health system need.
Why do we allow duplication of very expensive management for Interior and Island health agencies.
Doctors and nurses will tell you that one management center should be sufficient for the 3.5 million inhabitants of BC
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ Exactly Nibs, every Health Authority in BC needs to reduce the amount of administrators (which are very well paid).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Husband was put on a list in Jan, he'll be in this month for his surgery. My Dad was put on a list around the same time, for the same surgery. He's still waiting. Dad is retired, and in a smaller community.
I haven't failed until I quit.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

oldtrucker wrote:I used to live in Scotland and I visit quite often as I have family there.One of my family members recently twisted her knee-nothing serious and was in for a MRI within 48 hours.While visiting my father's doctor one time, the hospital staff served me a great cup of coffee-concerned if there was enough cream in it.It comes at a cost-20% off of everyone's paycheck and it is well worth it.That healthcare system, as well as other European countries systems, make us look like stone age capitalist cavemen.We could have so much better if it were managed properly.

And yet you choose to live amongst the Stone Age capitalist cavemen.

Odd. You do have a choice as to where to live. You don't just have to visit the clearly superior place.
You and 71 others Like this post
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

In the mid 90's I was on a wait list for surgery, (about 3 months) my doctor told me that if the condition got too bad, during the wait, just to go into the Emergency Entrance and fall down. He said the treatment would be the same, but that I could jump the line.
I stuck it out for the 3 months, but Vernons multi year waits are outrageous and a clear sign of weak/incompetent managers.
Boda
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Boda »

LANDM wrote:And yet you choose to live amongst the Stone Age capitalist cavemen.

Odd. You do have a choice as to where to live. You don't just have to visit the clearly superior place.

LANDM,

I wonder if you might be neglecting to consider other variables that the poster HAS considered before making his choice of residency?
It may not be that odd a decision.

It would be very interesting to know which healthcare systems provide the best bang for the amount of dollars spent.
I thought I had read years ago that some Scandinavian government healthcare systems were rated highly and that the Japanese model was next to none?

The current federal Canadian dictatorship Dear Leader and provincial puppet leader Premier are so hell bent on
breaking unions and redistribution of wealth that healthcare dollars invested are not providing adequate return for British Columbians or Canadians in general.

Return to “Social Concerns”