Australia takes a stand. (Vaccinations)

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Australia takes a stand. (Vaccinations)

Post by I Think »

Australia To Stop Payments To Families Who Refuse Child Vaccinations
April 12, 2015 • Prime Minister Tony Abbott says that starting in 2016, welfare payments and child care rebates will be cut off to families that take a "conscientious objector" exemption to avoid immunizations.
We're lost but we're making good time.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Australia takes a stand.

Post by oneh2obabe »

Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

While I support strong consequences for those who put others at risk by not vaccinating I'm not sure that is the way to handle it. It is not the child's fault the parents is a selfish idiot and the money not coming into the home is not going to fill the fridge or put a roof over their heads either. I prefer not allowing them to attend schools, doctors, day cares, camps and that sort of thing without proof of vaccination. This discourages them from interacting with smaller children who most at risk of harm while not potentially making the child homeless.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

not 1 vaccine is 100% effective, what about a person that had there shots but still ends up catching whatever and then spreads it to someone that did not get there shots then what.were does it end
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

the truth wrote:not 1 vaccine is 100% effective, what about a person that had there shots but still ends up catching whatever and then spreads it to someone that did not get there shots then what.were does it end

It's about herd immunity. If you don't wish to participate, leave the herd.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Jenny, isnt it wonderful to read about a government that has the testes to take a hard line stand on any issue?
We're lost but we're making good time.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

the truth wrote:not 1 vaccine is 100% effective, what about a person that had there shots but still ends up catching whatever and then spreads it to someone that did not get there shots then what.were does it end

98% is way better than 2%.

I like you but please don't be the one to stand up for stupidity.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Australia seems to have the strength and conviction to stand up for themselves despite opposition.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

98% i am a fan of most off your posts but this one is far from the true ,65% at best they are
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

If that were the case, there would be people on this forum with Polio.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

mexicalidreamer wrote:Australia seems to have the strength and conviction to stand up for themselves despite opposition.

*removed* i will agree with you there
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Apr 20th, 2015, 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Interesting bit on Marketplace over the weekend about the Canadian homeopathic community spreading false information about traditional vaccination and offering largely ineffective alternatives.

This is not to say that alternative medicine is without merit of any kind, but since it is by lightly regulated it is wide open to people who either don't know what they're doing or people looking to lighten your wallet with little or nothing in return. The same sort of scams abound in the field of supplements and miracle cures.

It's like just about anything these days, you need to do your homework. The more important the decision the more homework you should be doing.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

I wonder if this decision will decrease disease rates. Or is that what it's intended to do?
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

JayByrd wrote:I wonder if this decision will decrease disease rates. Or is that what it's intended to do?

I wonder about that. If there has been any significant increase in disease rates since anti-vaccination became more common then it might just show a decrease, but maybe this is just an effort to forestall any widespread public move against vaccinating in general.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

I suppose the government could compel people to do (or not do) all kinds of things if they withheld services from those who don't comply.

I'm definitely not in the "they're out to get us and take away our freedom" camp but I don't like the government strong-arming people into doing stuff like this. I'm not an anti-vaccine type either.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.

Return to “Social Concerns”