Oil

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Oil

Post by I Think »

It is clear that electric cars are the way of the future, and we can grow bio diesel for trucks, given a warm climate and water.
Why are we squandering millions to support an oil industry which is on the way out?
We're lost but we're making good time.
logicalview
Guru

Re: Oil

Post by logicalview »

Nibs wrote:It is clear that electric cars are the way of the future, and we can grow bio diesel for trucks, given a warm climate and water.
Why are we squandering millions to support an oil industry which is on the way out?

How do those electric cars get built again?

And who is "we" exactly that is "squandering millions" - what a ridiculous comment.
Not afraid to say "It".
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

a guy who drives a motor home that causes more problems that any car. the ocean gives 0f ten times the carbon then all the humans in the world. vegetation rotting id forests is a big contributor, nibs why do you not say anything about that.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Nibs wrote:It is clear that electric cars are the way of the future, and we can grow bio diesel for trucks, given a warm climate and water.

The oil industry thrives on our addiction to both fossil fuels and convenience. There's really nothing keeping you from buying an nice e-bike. Or walking to the grocery store.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

the future should be more trains. Europe has a lot, I've heard.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

You know what would be a real fantastic future?

If electric cars were used in the absolute richest cities, where people all earn $100,000
or more, can you imagine how great it would be to live in those cities? So clean. Fresh air. Healthy.
Walk anywhere and no exhaust fumes.

And in places where people earn $2.00/day we could dump all our toxic stuff, they could burn coal,
take all our twenty year old vehicles with exhaust problems, and produce food for us for practically for free.
That would be an awesome future.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Thinktank wrote:
If electric cars were used in the absolute richest cities, where people all earn $100,000

You must make so very little to think $100k is "rich". I can tell you that it's not. I can also tell you that while some people who are " rich" drive electric vehicles, most of us have better places to spend our money.

Gasoline produces the greatest return on energy for processing costs. It's more readily available. Just because I'm "rich" doesn't mean I want to have less convenience for more money.

Oh, and don't forget that hydroelectric power is less common in North America than hydrocarbon fired electrical plants. That electricity isn't as green as you think it is.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Gasoline produces the greatest return on energy for processing costs. It's more readily available.

It is also very hard on the environment and heavily subsidized. Also there are several recent developments in batteries that are very promising. Already the batteries available today are sufficient, and prices for car battery packs are much lower than just a few years ago. It is a rapidly developing field.

don't forget that hydroelectric power is less common in North America than hydrocarbon fired electrical plants. That electricity isn't as green as you think it is.

An electric car running on coal fired electricity emits 80% less pollution per mile than a gasoline powered car.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Take a look to see what is being done with electric cars today.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/14/84089 ... ace-photos

Return to “Social Concerns”