Weird things from the 1970s

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Weird things from the 1970s

Post by Dizzy1 »

Thinktank wrote:pay over $500 - $1,000 for amp, tuner, tape deck, turntable, speakers.

That's weird behavior.

People spending their money on what makes them happy and their life more enjoyable is considered "weird" behavior?

Telling people that they're "weird' by enjoying their life as they deem fit - now that is weird behavior.
Thinktank wrote:We thought we had to.

No, we did because we wanted to.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Thinktank wrote:Few years ago I threw a bunch out. The volume controls go bad on all that Japanese crap
we thought we needed, and I didn't want to start repairing the stuff. So it went to the dump.
And some went to the recycle.

So by your own personal choice, you alone were the reason your purchases ended up in the dump.

Now that is some seriously weird behavior.

So instead of repairing it and getting many more years of enjoyment out of it, you opted to just say "meh" and throw it out ...

... weird!
Last edited by Dizzy1 on Apr 24th, 2015, 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Have you ever wondered why big companies spend $millions on advertising.

because advertising makes us do things they want us to do.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Thinktank wrote:Have you ever wondered why big companies spend $millions on advertising.

because advertising makes us do things they want us to do.

No, it makes us informed of their product - and if we're in the market of said product it made us aware that they have a product that we can compare with similar products from other companies.

Some ads put a grin on our face because they are so well done, while others make us change the channel ... even if we have no interest in the product what so ever - doesn't mean that the majority of people simply go out and buy something just because they saw it on TV - people are a lot smarter than you try and portray them to be.
WhenWhatWho
Banned

Post by WhenWhatWho »

Thinktank (I always get a chuckle out of your name), I assume you were born in the 70's? It's the only thing that would make sense out of the title.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Dizzy1 wrote: people are a lot smarter than you try and portray them to be.

rich people can do whatever they want.

I know some people who are under stress because of financial problems, but over they years
they must have spend $thousands on crap that's in the garbage right now. Weird things from the 1970s.
And 1980s. And 1990s.

that doesn't sound too smart to me.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Stereo systems were around in the '50's - can't be weird if everyone's doing it.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Thinktank wrote:
I know some people who are under stress because of financial problems, but over they years
they must have spend $thousands on crap that's in the garbage right now. Weird things from the 1970s.
And 1980s. And 1990s.

So shouldn't your focus be on their personal choices and lack of financial discipline instead of simply pointing the finger in every which way other than the actual problem?

Now, you want to talk weird? Lack of personal responsibility - blame everyone else for the problems they've created in their own lives - now that is some real weird behavior.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Weird things from the 1970's:

How come nobody mentioned guys wearing platform shoes and blown-dried "feathered" hair? Who the hell told them that looked good?
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

Thinktank wrote:
rich people can do whatever they want.

And 1980s. And 1990s.

Please dont ever stop leaving your gold in these forums! Youre one of my top 3 here in this little petri dish called Castanet.

Awsome!

- What are your thoughts on Bass? Those *bleep* over at Bose and Dolby have had me hooked for years - and now that you mention it, i have no idea if its really all about the bass or im just another mindless drone to their campaigns??
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

What about pet rocks? Everybody could afford one and feeding it didn't break the bank.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

oneh2obabe wrote:What about pet rocks? Everybody could afford one and feeding it didn't break the bank.

Mine died and it still makes me sad when I think about it! :(
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."