Vulgarity doesn't pay

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Vulgarity doesn't pay

Post by oneh2obabe »

Hydro One is firing a Sunshine List employee involved in a vulgar incident with a CityNews reporter at Sunday’s Toronto FC game.

“Regarding the incident at the Toronto FC game between a (CityNews) reporter and fans, Hydro One is taking steps to terminate the employee involved for violating our Code of Conduct,” said Daffyd Roderick, director, corporate affairs for Hydro One.

“Respect for all people is engrained in the Code of Conduct and in our Core Values and we are committed to a work environment where discrimination or harassment of any type is met with zero tolerance.”

Roderick identified the employee as Shawn Simoes, an assistant network management engineer who made $106,510.50 a year.

Earlier today, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment said the Toronto FC fans involved in the incident will be banned for “at least” a year.

Video and balance of article
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/05 ... olice.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Vulgarity doesn't pay

Post by Bsuds »

Good for them!

Some people are just too stupid to realize that Karma will get you.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Wonder if his mom is finding it funny yet.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

This crap needs to be confronted and stopped it is totally unacceptable, good to see at least one of there employers did want needed to be done (hopefully the other does as well).
Totally agree Bsuds, may it bite many more in the *bleep*.
If my Mom heard something like that come out of my mouth, I could only imagine my outcome (not going there).
Last edited by GordonH on May 16th, 2015, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Great news. Both have been identified and one, The little shiiit with the really big mouth has been fired from his job with Ontario Hydro (I think that was it).

The second guys company has issued a statement saying that they will "deal" with it.

Man, I hope their HR VP is a woman.

I wonder if mom is laughing?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Last month people were all up in arms about an Alberta town that wanted to ban swearing in this sort of way, and now people are all up in arms because someone swore like this. He deserved to be fired.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Glacier wrote:Last month people were all up in arms about an Alberta town that wanted to ban swearing in this sort of way, and now people are all up in arms because someone swore like this. He deserved to be fired.

There is a time and place and that was the wrong pick for those two.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

While I certainly don't condone their actions, the question is, while what they did was objectionable, was it illegal and if it wasn't illegal should they be fired when they were not at work and there was no indication in the video of where they worked? Is freedom of speech something that only protects speech that we agree with? If what they said was illegal, then it's a different story.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

No, it's not illegal to make and absolute *bleep* of yourself in public. Which for many is a god send.

However, acting out like that tends to show you up for who you really are and seriously, who TF needs an assshatt like that guy working for them?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

goatboy wrote:While I certainly don't condone their actions, the question is, while what they did was objectionable, was it illegal and if it wasn't illegal should they be fired when they were not at work and there was no indication in the video of where they worked? Is freedom of speech something that only protects speech that we agree with? If what they said was illegal, then it's a different story.

Hydro One employees have a Code of Conduct that applies to all employees from the CEO to the custodian. You can bet the company lawyers have crossed every t and dotted every i before showing him the door.

Charges could be laid if the reporter wants to file a report.

While the “FHRITP” trend is vulgar, it could also be illegal.

“So far none of the reporters want charges laid,” said Const. Victor Kwong of the Toronto police. “Bottom line is, if the reporters did want to file a report with us, they absolutely can.”

In Calgary, police have issued a statement to broadcasters that the activity constitutes grounds for a charge and arrest.

“We haven’t taken it as far as what Calgary has done because in Calgary apparently it was quite rampant and quite common,” Kwong said.

Kingston police said in a tweet on Tuesday morning, “Our media partners should not have to deal with #FHRITP. Cause Disturbance seems to apply.”

Causing disturbance is a Criminal Code offence which includes “fighting, screaming, shouting, swearing, singing or using insulting or obscene language,” in a public place.

goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

oneh2obabe wrote:Hydro One employees have a Code of Conduct that applies to all employees from the CEO to the custodian. You can bet the company lawyers have crossed every t and dotted every i before showing him the door.

Charges could be laid if the reporter wants to file a report.

While the “FHRITP” trend is vulgar, it could also be illegal.

“So far none of the reporters want charges laid,” said Const. Victor Kwong of the Toronto police. “Bottom line is, if the reporters did want to file a report with us, they absolutely can.”

In Calgary, police have issued a statement to broadcasters that the activity constitutes grounds for a charge and arrest.

“We haven’t taken it as far as what Calgary has done because in Calgary apparently it was quite rampant and quite common,” Kwong said.

Kingston police said in a tweet on Tuesday morning, “Our media partners should not have to deal with #FHRITP. Cause Disturbance seems to apply.”

Causing disturbance is a Criminal Code offence which includes “fighting, screaming, shouting, swearing, singing or using insulting or obscene language,” in a public place.

What charge would the reporter be able to lay?

Again, these guys are idiots, but is that illegal and should you lose your job for it? If it happened at work, absolutely, no question, but should anyone charged with cause disturbance or drunk in public on their own time lose their job? If so there will be at least a dozen people out of work this long weekend in Kelowna. I understand a code of conduct for an employee, especially if you are on work time or if you are identified and associated to the company (ie, wearing a company uniform, at a company function etc) but in the big scheme of things, causing a disturbance is a pretty minor thing.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^^My guess is you are not a woman!!
Chill
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

goatboy wrote:What charge would the reporter be able to lay?

Again, these guys are idiots, but is that illegal and should you lose your job for it? If it happened at work, absolutely, no question, but should anyone charged with cause disturbance or drunk in public on their own time lose their job? If so there will be at least a dozen people out of work this long weekend in Kelowna. I understand a code of conduct for an employee, especially if you are on work time or if you are identified and associated to the company (ie, wearing a company uniform, at a company function etc) but in the big scheme of things, causing a disturbance is a pretty minor thing.

The reporter wouldn't be able to lay a charge - they file a report and the police take it from there.

Most code of conduct agreements cover both the workplace and public places. Was talking with a friend about this earlier today and this is what he said ...

He was disrespectful at a work place - HERS! He can be fired because of this.

It is now legislated. I had to do a respectful workplace seminar earlier this year and all of that was covered. If you post stuff on Facebook that a coworker sees and finds offensive can be cause for dismissal.

It really is all about respect.

goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

flamingfingers wrote:^^My guess is you are not a woman!!

Ha ha, no you're right I'm not and I recognize this is coming from a male perspective, although I'd like to think a more enlightened one then these idiots. But I think it's valid to question the merit of this firing, not just because what they did is morally offensive. Do we want to fire anyone who ends up in the drunk tank for causing a disturbance? Is everything we do in our personal life subject to the approval of our employer? What if the morals and beliefs of our employer do not match up to ours?

these guys are jack *bleep* that should be banned form attending any soccer games and should be shamed on social media. Make them social pariah's but I question whether your employer has domain over actions like this on your own free time.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

oneh2obabe wrote:The reporter wouldn't be able to lay a charge - they file a report and the police take it from there.

Most code of conduct agreements cover both the workplace and public places. Was talking with a friend about this earlier today and this is what he said ...

He was disrespectful at a work place - HERS! He can be fired because of this.

It is now legislated. I had to do a respectful workplace seminar earlier this year and all of that was covered. If you post stuff on Facebook that a coworker sees and finds offensive can be cause for dismissal.

It really is all about respect.

So, if you're sitting in McDonalds on your day off and tell an mildly offensive joke to your table mate and a McDonalds employee over hears this joke and is offended then you should be fired form your job because of it?

I absolutely agree it's about respect and these guys should face shame and humiliation from all but lose your job because of it? If it isn't about the act being illegal then the degree of the offensiveness shouldn't matter. Better not swear at a cop, get angry at an airline employee for a missed flight or complain vigorously about your meal being cold at a restaurant, if someone finds your attitude threatening that would cost you your job.

Return to “Social Concerns”