Vulgarity doesn't pay

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Vulgarity doesn't pay

Post by LANDM »

Apparently the deciding factor was his "extensive efforts" (see below), which is actually fair enough. If he would have had the jackass responses of some of his supporters, I don't think it would have ended up this way. But it is good that all ended well and I don't think he will be doing this again.

“The arbitrator properly took into account the extensive efforts by Mr. Simoes to make amends for his conduct including apologies to Shauna Hunt and Hydro One, voluntarily attending sensitivity training at his own expense, and making a donation to the White Ribbon Campaign,” reads the statement from the Society of Energy Professionals."
You and 71 others Like this post
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'd do all that to get my $100,000 buck job back.
Heck, would never have done what he did in the first place.
But to re-gain that huge salary?
Of course!

I'll bet this experience changed him in more ways than one.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I bet his Momma chapped his hide...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

thhe union got his job back
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

I think people have the right to "make things right". Who really knows if he's sincere or not? I'm not in a position to decide this.

But I support anyone to admit they've been wrong and to be proactive in taking steps to admit guilt and to make positive changes towards "acting right".

This is the best of situations really: He was exposed, a dialogue ensued. Apologies were made. Education happened. Lesson learned (hopefully).

I call this a win/win.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

yea i agree
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

He was rehired but in what capacity and at what salary? And what happens to his job when Hydro One is sold and new management is in place?
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

maryjane48 wrote:thhe union got his job back

Awesome, its ridiculous he was fired. Amazing a union actually did something for the workers though.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Osoyoos_Familyof4 wrote:I think people have the right to "make things right". Who really knows if he's sincere or not? I'm not in a position to decide this.

But I support anyone to admit they've been wrong and to be proactive in taking steps to admit guilt and to make positive changes towards "acting right".

This is the best of situations really: He was exposed, a dialogue ensued. Apologies were made. Education happened. Lesson learned (hopefully).

I call this a win/win.

He didn't do anything wrong, he gave his opinion. He found something funny that others find offensive there's nothing wrong with that. He shouldn't have to apologize or made to feel guilty for having a difference of opinion.
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

so much ado about nothing. Young guy (pumped up from event, maybe even drinking) made light of something that was said by someone else that was rude and offensive. Immature, poor judgment, insensitive? Sure. But losing his job? Ridiculous. He was not speaking for, identified himself as an employee of Hydro 1. Nor does he even a sensitive position with his employer. He has probably learned a lesson in all of this though
If we ask the right questions we can change the world with the right answers
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

He didn't do anything wrong, he gave his opinion. He found something funny that others find offensive there's nothing wrong with that. He shouldn't have to apologize or made to feel guilty for having a difference of opinion.

He didn't do anything wrong and just gave his opinion? He is/was a public employee, on camera, endorsing random vulgarity that is designed for no other purpose than to humiliate and disrespect women. If you think that he sharing his viewpoint that "this is hilarious" on camera, to a woman who is doing her job and having to deal with shit-heads like the guy who yells FHITP is innocent because "he was just giving his opinion" then I really think you're incorrect.

Corporations decide what they're willing to tolerate from their employees both public and private (but especially public). It shows a gross and egregious lack of respect for this bozo to have acted like such a boor on camera. If the assumption is that an employee on their own time has the freedom to do what they want...well fine. But if that employee ends up on the news acting like a *bleep*, well then the employer does have the right to make some decisions about his judgement on and off the job.

Ultimately the guy made amends, and I support his endeavour to be more enlightened.

Return to “Social Concerns”