Phone in to complain about smart meters.

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Phone in to complain about smart meters.

Post by I Think »

Finally the time we have been waiting for, we now have our smart meter.
The installer told me that they do not turn on the self reading function for idiots,
Ours is turned on.
We're lost but we're making good time.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

Science overwhelmingly supports the premise that the effect radio-waves emitted by the transmitters have on life is negligible at certain amplitudes like the ones needed for these devices - ours specifically. This discussion has happened over and over on this board and many others. The argument that these are dangerous falls flat on it's face every single time. Shoddy installation and cheap manufacturing aside, you need not fear your smart meter.

If you want to be afraid of radiowaves I don't blame you. Just because you can't see them doesn't mean they're not dangerous, but the sheer fact that this argument continues to happen says a lot about some people's willingness to understand what they're even discussing. This is especially a problem on this board. I hope you wear sunscreen, that's all I can say.

If you wish to enlighten yourself further on the topic my first recommendation would be to gain context on what all of this means. Why is 100 milliwatts effectively no different from a watt of power? How much signal does a smart meter emit? How much signal do other common devices emit?

You really want to spook yourself? Hook up a wireless interference antenna to your phone like a wi-pry (https://www.oscium.com/spectrum-analyzers/wipry-pro), turn on your microwave and enjoy the show. Point being that without context a lot of what people say about radiowave's can be drastically misunderstood.
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

The only thing I'd phone in to complain about is a higher bill.
I've noticed my last two bills have been higher than expected. My folks have noticed the same thing. kinda a pain, that.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

just wait for time of day billing (the real reason for smart meters) then your bill will really go up
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Looking forward to time of day billing, as long as it makes sense. Solar power and battery storage provide a lot of our power now.
BC hydro sells its power really cheaply at night,
Elon Musk is gearing up to provide power storage at so you can buy your power when it is cheapest.
We're lost but we're making good time.

Return to “Social Concerns”