So you think you're rich.

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: So you think you're rich.

Postby Atomoa » Feb 13th, 2017, 5:16 pm

Many people who win the lottery end up committing suicide.

It's a sick thing - we have homelessness, poverty, and poor quality jobs throughout our society but we give a metric ton of money to people who have absolutely no idea what to do with it. Then what happens is the 40+ years of consumerist propaganda kicks in and they come to believe this "money" will make them "happy". They buy the cars, the clothes and the houses but all they find is emptiness.

None of their friends can relate to the lottery winner and they become "former" friends. Everyone is working and you're suddenly not at work and have free time - and nobody can travel with you because they are all poor like the rest of us. People feel alienated from you. Family members ask for money or expect it and huge problems occur. You end up alone and miserable.

Also, people who are used to being in the lower classes find themselves depressed and emotionally worn out when their new rich friends teach them about classism. Suddenly they realize that "those people/the help" that the upper classes scoff and poke fun at was actually them at one point in time.

It's a insane thing we do to ourselves and our society.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller

GoStumpy likes this post.
Atomoa
Guru

Liked in: 2683 posts

Postby Queen K » Feb 13th, 2017, 5:52 pm

All of that makes sense Atomoa.
Here I thought there was nothing lower than a snakes belly in a rut in a ditch. I was wrong.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 13988 posts

Postby GoStumpy » Feb 13th, 2017, 5:56 pm

Queen K wrote:http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/britains-youngest-euromillions-winner-planning-to-sue-lottery-bosses-for-ruining-her-life/ar-AAmSXwb?li=AAggNb9

Okay, her is a young woman who WON millions, but it ruined her perfect life before she bought the winning ticket and NOW she is suing the lottery for ruining her life.

She is saying that she was so uneducated that she could not understand the investment advisor assigned to her.
She is saying that consuming never added to her life, that the ease of buying things has made her miserable.
Therefore the lottery wankers need to be held accountable.

Then she should pull her head out of her... :admin: and put all the money into long-term invesetments for her children's education, etc...

What a concept... you don't need to spend the money you have!!! OMG!
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.

youhavegottobekidding likes this post.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 462 posts

Postby Queen K » Feb 13th, 2017, 5:59 pm

Did you read the link?

She said she had a advisor talking to her about investment vehicles she didn't understand.

Well, could she not have learned then at that time? Or taken a business course?
My complaint with her is that she didn't think of charities or maybe the money could have been used to develop herself via education.

Why sue the lottery people over that?
Here I thought there was nothing lower than a snakes belly in a rut in a ditch. I was wrong.

Lady tehMa likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby GoStumpy » Feb 13th, 2017, 6:06 pm

I read the link, and once I got to the point where she is saying she wish she didn't have the money... I thought of a hundred ways for her to 'solve her problem'....

Perhaps donate to financial literacy? Take financial literacy courses? Help families in need in her community?

And shall we ask what SUING the lottery corp will do? Get more money?
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.

Queen K likes this post.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 462 posts

Postby Queen K » Feb 13th, 2017, 6:08 pm

Ya, really. How about donating to animal shelters, or zoos which are cash starved, or supporting endangered species organizations?

I was so ticked off, seriously ticked off. :cuss:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby lesliepaul » Feb 13th, 2017, 6:37 pm

This person was just too dumb to comprehend...........at the lowest level. Winning a million when you have very little or owe a lot at a young age equals in most cases..........GONE. A million when you have no debt even at a younger age can change your life to being quite comfortable. If you think you can invest it into 10 million, you better be SMART.

Depending how much you have to invest...........the more you have, the better your return. In extremely SAFE investments (low risk or no risk) 1 million will get you X amount, 2 million will get you X amount +, 3 million will get you X amount ++. Bottom line the more you have the better you are treated by financial institutions.
lesliepaul
Übergod

Liked in: 1088 posts

Postby Queen K » Feb 13th, 2017, 6:40 pm

Agreed, but shes saying it "ruined her life."

:200: I'm like, seriously?

youhavegottobekidding likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby Even Steven » Feb 13th, 2017, 11:18 pm

So, she's upset she was given all the money that ruined her life and now she wants to sue them for more money?

Seems counter-productive.

GoStumpy likes this post.
Even Steven
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2138 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Feb 15th, 2017, 7:07 am

SHe could have created a full time job for herself, choosing charities and donating big bucks to them. She could have given some to Charitable Foundations, so she doesn't have to pick and choose amongst all the possibilities.If she did it right, the donations would generate tax breaks and she would not have to pay tax on the income her investments generated. So no excuse. It might be advisable though for the Lottery organizations to have a mini-education session for people to warn them of the downsides, or suggest various options. Nothing wrong with the investment idea either, and then you have big bucks every year you could donate to charities for the rest of your life. The gift that keeps on giving. There is no rule that says you have to make yourself miserable by selfishly spending it all on yourself.

Lady tehMa likes this post.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Liked in: 2147 posts

Postby Lady tehMa » Feb 15th, 2017, 7:51 am

I know exactly what I'd do with the money. Give some to family, set up joint accounts with them. Give some to charities of my choice. I'd like to see about creating a self-sustaining charitable society that teaches life skills people no longer seem to have. How to cook, how to sew. How to change a tire. How to do taxes, how to budget. How to grow and preserve food. If I won 60 mil I'd like to see about creating more low-income housing, too.

And I'd spend it on myself as well; I'd build a house that is solid - the kind that would last a hundred years. It would be set up on an acreage, I'd have my own cows and chickens and goats, and maybe a horse or two. And I'd hire someone to look after it for me since I'm allergic to dust and hay and have no clue how to care for animals properly. I would have SUCH a library, and stained glass all over the house. A garden with a greenhouse, and a solarium in the main house. And then I would travel a bit, see the world. And maybe help some more.

But if I don't win? I'm not going to waste away - I'm just doing that (except for the animals and greenhouse) small scale already. I have a wall of books, I have made stained glass and will again one day. I have a garden and am preserving the food from it. The sustainable charity is just an idea that I'm growing for now, I'd like to see it come to fruition one day. The traveling will wait until I can manage. As for the house? We have one, we just need to renovate (constantly, I have a list as long as my arm of things that need doing).
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4116 posts

Postby JayByrd » Feb 15th, 2017, 11:55 am

Coming into a large sum of money can really torpedo your life, if you don't already have your act together. We see it with actors, musicians, even professional athletes...a ton of money, not a ton of responsibility, and a fair number of them go off the rails into substance abuse and toxic relationships. A large sum of money can tend to amplify whatever emotional issues a person already has.

Lottery winners who win massive sums of money, can end up with what I call "*bleep* money"...because *bleep* can be their response to anything asked of them. It's easy to become someone with no values in that scenario. I know of a prominent local person who did not win the lottery, but sold a business he co-founded for a huge sum. His share of the sale was in the tens of millions of dollars. I know that he and his wife spent a lot of time and energy mapping out how their life was going to be. They started a number of charitable endeavours, and while their home and vehicles etc are top of the line, I know their day to day life is relatively simple and humble, as they try to avoid the pitfalls of being rich folks who can buy their way into, and out of, anything.

I don't think this lottery lawsuit has any merit, but it does open an interesting discussion. Does a lottery corporation have an obligation to at least offer support to their winners, as they transition to a new life? Financial literacy, financial management, managing one's personal affairs, would all be helpful to people.
My fervent hope is that you and your tax dollars will be reunited in the afterlife.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1464 posts

Postby Queen K » Feb 15th, 2017, 12:06 pm

She talks about their financial advisor talking to her about investment vehicles she did not understand. But it also sounds like she refused an opportunity to understand them and other potential advice.

I often joke about winning big. Seriously joke about it.

But would it further enhance or amplify my problems? Likely. At 52, would I know just what to do?
I'd like to think so.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby Even Steven » Feb 15th, 2017, 12:49 pm

JayByrd wrote:Does a lottery corporation have an obligation to at least offer support to their winners, as they transition to a new life? Financial literacy, financial management, managing one's personal affairs, would all be helpful to people.

They do offer it, and little dumbo broad was offered it too.

A spokesperson for Camelot told The Independent: "Camelot takes its duty of care to winners very seriously and all major winners are offered support and advice for as long as they wish. That support is tailored to each winner's situation and circumstances – and for younger winners, their age will obviously be an important factor in the advice and support offered.

“Following her win, Jane received extensive support from Camelot. A dedicated winners’ adviser visited Jane at home to pay out her prize, arrange private banking and support her through the publicity when she chose to share news of her win. An independent financial and legal panel was set up shortly after her win and we put Jane in touch with another winner who won at the same age, to share their experience and help Jane adjust to the win.

"We keep in contact with all major winners for as long as they wish and have been in touch with Jane from time to time since her win to offer ongoing support. Of course, it is always up to the winners themselves as to whether they want to take us up that ongoing support and advice – but the door is always open and we will continue to support Jane in any way we can if that is what decides she wants."

She sounds like a spoiled child who was given free ice cream, ate it too fast even though was told not to hurry, got a brain freeze, and now wants more ice cream. Good god.

Silverstarqueen likes this post.
Even Steven
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2138 posts

Postby youhavegottobekidding » Feb 15th, 2017, 3:49 pm

WOW, getting money out of the blue is NOT such a bad thing is it? When I was 52 my wife and I were both working when we inherited $1.75 million dollars. We didn't panic about this at all. We both quit our jobs and decided to what we like best. GOLF.

We checked into these so-called financial advisers with a BIG bank and did not go that route as these guys wanted a % of your money PER year to look after YOUR money. I looked at over a 30 years period they would at minimal TAKE over $500,000.00 out of our initial $1.75 million. Who in their right mind would let a financial adviser near your money. That is insane. We did our own investment in a very safe place and have been doing just fine, thank you very much. Some of these people are just leeches. SO BEWARE.....
youhavegottobekidding
Fledgling

Liked in: 96 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns