Who is lying, men or women?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Who is lying, men or women?

Post by Glacier »

The numbers between men and women don't even come close to lining up. This means that either men are exaggerating big time or women or under-exaggerating big time. Which is it? http://www.slate.com/articles/life/mone ... ge_or.html
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Re: Who is lying, men or women?

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

Women are lying to protect themselves.
Society sees it as perfectly acceptable for a male to have had double digit partner numbers.
Where as a woman not so much.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

Tell us how many people you’ve slept with. Our calculator will tell you if that’s a lot.

I didn't know how to answer the question. Some of my sexual partners never included actually intercourse. Does that count? Maybe part of it is that for women things aren't as black and white and this might scue how they report.
Last edited by WeatherWoman on Jun 18th, 2015, 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

True, WW how would you define it, what is "slept together"???
Does it mean penetration only? if so what if you're homosexual or bi? What's the definition then?
If it's about orgasm only then still the numbers could be skewed.... heck I know some people who still haven't "slept together" with anyone yet :D
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

WeatherWoman wrote:I didn't know how to answer the question. Some of sexual partners never included actually intercourse. Does that count? Maybe part of it is that for women things aren't as black and white and this might scue how they report.

That's exactly what the Mrs. said. Men probably consider heavy petting and *bleep* sex, while women don't.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
zoo
Übergod

Post by zoo »

I dont believe the question or issue with this is who is lying. Its clear that a study like this cannot ever be completed with accurate honest results. Based on people answering such a survey as to how it benefits, acknowledges, owns your own findings.
When these findings/surveys are released to the public they hold a certain amount of control, acknowledgment and benefits.
So maybe any survey that will show a division between people, race, sex etc. will have false results based on people answering them in a way that makes them look better. Some studies will yield a certain amount of advancement and or power as well.
So how can all these studies and surveys be better done to ensure actual truth from the people involved?
crybabycry

Post by crybabycry »

Another question might be, who really cares, and why?

Why are "stats" like these important or even interesting to us?
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Nom_de_Plume wrote:Women are lying to protect themselves.
Society sees it as perfectly acceptable for a male to have had double digit partner numbers.
Where as a woman not so much.

Double digits for a man thats nothing, I had friends in triple digits when they were in their mid 20's
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

The only way this thread can work is if it remains serious and if members are mindful of the obvious need to be circumspect here.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Glacier wrote:The numbers between men and women don't even come close to lining up. This means that either men are exaggerating big time or women or under-exaggerating big time. Which is it?

It's both.

Men exaggerate because of competition-like mindset and hunter instincts.

Women under-exaggerate because don't want to be labeled as somebody who gives away the whole pudding to every stranger they meet.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

that's about it. case closed
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Sat Tyre

Post by Sat Tyre »

crybabycry wrote:Another question might be, who really cares, and why?

Why are "stats" like these important or even interesting to us?

Because we don't live in the Leave it to Beaver 1950s anymore, and we are brainwashed by the Americian Religious Right. No one is lying. Men tell it like it is while us women who have been around the block a few times refuse to answer the question because we have been shamed by Religion into thinking it's wrong to dwell on past flings.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

I don't think it's is fully a religious thing. I think it's a society thing.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Sat Tyre wrote:Because we don't live in the Leave it to Beaver 1950s anymore, and we are brainwashed by the Americian Religious Right. No one is lying. Men tell it like it is while us women who have been around the block a few times refuse to answer the question because we have been shamed by Religion into thinking it's wrong to dwell on past flings.

Your comment seems to contradict itself. You say, " we don't live in the Leave it to Beaver 1950s anymore" and yet you also say "we are brainwashed by the Americian Religious Right" Then you say that no one is lying but women are not answering the question truthfully because they've been shamed. Who bothers to think about what anyone thinks of them personally when answering questions for a poll anyways?

Even in high school, girls are brutal to each other and love to spread stories about other girls being sluts and it has nothing to do with religion. From what I've seen, most of the shaming in general comes from their own gender.

I also suspect that the true stats would probably show something closer to the opposite of what these ones do but that's just a hunch, I don't have any proof.

"Men tell it like it is," is that so? LOL! Men can be full of crap on a number of topics but none more than on this one.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."

Return to “Social Concerns”