Abortion Pill

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Re: Abortion Pill

Post by whatwhat »

I think its awesome that this pill has finally been approved by Health Canada. Women being able to just take a pill to terminate a pregnancy (up to 49 days) instead of having to endure such a traumatizing procedure is great. And it will be able to bring safe abortion services to remote areas of Canada where they may not have hospitals or clinics that offer abortions.

Its 2015, and there are many different religions, beliefs, and opinions in our country. I wish anti-abortionists would stop feeling the need to push their beliefs into law. Abortion is a horrible choice for anyone who has to make it. But sometimes it is the right choice. When was the last time you adopted, or fostered a child? Why aren't you fighting for more social supports for low income families, single parents, drug addicts, people in abusive relationships, fighting to end rape? People are fighting so much to keep the unborn baby alive, but as soon as the baby is born no one is fighting to help the family support it. People just don't have abortions because they think its cool. Choosing to have an abortion is a horrific decision to make, but there are so many different life situations that may lead someone to have to make that choice.

If you don't want to have an abortion, then choose not too. Simple as that.
hail Satan y'all
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

WeatherWoman wrote: ... Smarter education that steers women away from using abortions as birth control.

This a what I think a very important key - EDUCATION.

I feel that as a society we are failing our children and young people by not providing the access to proper personal health and life skills education. Frank and informative classes should be taught in our schools right from the start of our children entering public and private school system to when they leave. Age appropriate of course. Personal Health Care and Life Skills education should include topics such as what is a proper diet, how to properly choose and prepare food, personal hygiene (DETAILED), recognizing basic illnesses or abnormalities and how to treat them, FIRST AIDE (including CPR), PRACTICAL human reproduction, contraception VS abstinence , FRANK planned parenthood discussions, PARENTING SKILLS - like how to change a diaper and feed a baby, FINANCIAL Responsibility topics like how a bank account works and what it means to have a credit card and mortgage or loan. We teach our children a LOT at home and they get a pretty good education at school but I think we are really failing our young people by not teaching them some really important life skills that most kids are missing.

I find it shocking at times the number of young adults I meet who know nothing about how a bank account works or how to cook a meal for themselves. How we got here I don't know. Or maybe I come from a skewed background cause most of this stuff I learned from my parents and if they didn't or couldn't teach my siblings and I something they made sure we got the lessons from someone who could teach us. The general belief is that much of these things should be taught at home by ones parents...and yes most of it should. However, I don't know too many people who could talk to a young person about all the contraception options are out there today - how each of them works, how to use them, all the pros and all the cons. In my experiences working with children many parents are not teaching their children many of these life skills at home. I am sure there are many reasons why but the point is...many of our young people are not entering the World today fully prepared for it. What they face today is a far different World than what many of us entered life as. Sure, most of our kids can work a computer with their eyes closed and can get information in a FLASH...but how many of them know the responsibilities of having a credit card or what to do if one of their friends has an allergic reaction?

Now it's my turn to apologize for MY rant and for going off topic...lol

I think this new Abortion Pill alternative is a good one and I'm glad its now an option here in Canada. I do though think that at the very heart of all of this is as Weather Woman has stated...education and knowledge is key.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Anyone who has researched the abortion issue in earlier years knows to what lengths a woman will go to in order to avoid an unwanted pregnancy. Self-abortion, back alley abortionists, overdosing, mental breakdown - some women often had children already and could not stand the pressure of another pregnancy - either because their husbands 'blamed them' for becoming pregnant or the pressure of ONE more child was too much for them to bear. They committed suicide, leaving their present children motherless.

I view Dr. Henry Morgentaler as a compassionate physician who saw the effects of septic abortions and was singular in his drive to provide safe, medical and surgical options for women in an untenable position.

In this hugely overpopulated world, with countries who still forbid birth control or abortions, education in methods of contraception are curbed by governments beset with ideology. Fortunately we in women in Canada have won may battles on this front and we must be ever aware of any attempt by government to reduce our choices.

I applaud the acceptance of RU-486 as another alternative to surgical termination as it provides a woman with a more private and secure method of making her choice.

I guess I have trampled over the anti-abortionists' ideological dream of a newborn infant in a frilly little blanket, being taken home by a happy and loving mommy and daddy and being raised in a setting not unlike the Beaver family, eh?
Chill
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Well said Flamingfingers.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
zoo
Übergod

maybe there was another solution

Post by zoo »

Maybe we should have allowed the male birth control pill. Just maybe this would have helped enormously to lower the amount of unwanted pregnancies.Maybe both taking a birth control pill would have created another situation. One in which there would be no need for most abortions because most pregnancies would then be actually planned.
This would seem to have been the best design.
Seems we are interested more in a "band-aid solution" than one that would have proven to be very successful.
According to this scientist, the male pill was developed but, crushed due to political and personnel control.
So instead of a society where both parties could (in most cases), make a mutual, discussed, decisive decision, about having a child, we now chose to have a controversial solution. To bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JymN5yu-K_o
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

I'm sure we are all well aware of why the male birth control pill was never popular...lol

Good point to bring THAT one up, Zoo.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

There must be preventative measures to compensate for the absence of self control.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by binky11 »

gman313 wrote:I definitely support. anyone who doesn't is a selfish a hole

And then a few posts later you tell a person they don't have the right to judge? Unbelievable!
Monsterdriver
Fledgling

Post by Monsterdriver »

I have been waiting fifty years, for the retroactive abortion pill.
Stupid or Ugly; you need to decide, you can't be both
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Monsterdriver wrote:I have been waiting fifty years, for the retroactive abortion pill.

WOW, Holy patience, Monster Driver!

Brings a whole new meaning to the sage words...

All things come to those that are patience.
- Unknown

Return to “Social Concerns”