Rights for everyone?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
jamapple
Übergod

Rights for everyone?

Post by jamapple »

"One of the reasons society is failing is all the individual human rights we are achieving. No society can survive hen everyone is fighting for their individual rights on so many levels. It has a tendency to cause selfishness takes away from the community good. one place I really see this is following the laws of the country. In many cases this"I have rights is getting sickening". Many of rights achieved, in some way take away from someone else's rights."

This is a quote from a poster on another thread that I totally agree with, and would like to further add to.
I am a Canadian. I was born here. I have grown up to be tolerent, but I'm having a hard time with my country, the country that I still love.
You see, all countries of the world have their histories, good and bad. They also have their heritage. Our country did alot of stupid things to alot of people in the past.
people have fought and died for our freedoms. I don't think they went off to war to fight for the right of a sihk to wear a turben, or carry around a ceremonial daggar. Our RCMP were in red, with stetsons, and the yellow stripe down the sides of their trousers. No one can go to another country and dictate the way many countries have came to this land and dictated to us.
We are supposed to be a country, well, we are, just not with any distinguishing charectoristics. We used to be RCMP, bacon, poutine, maple syrup, and yes, tolerence. But I feel we are being stripped of our very existance, and are being replaced with a nation of people who accept everyone for who they are, and are willing to give up our own identity to do it.
I'm sorry for the stepping on toes, if you feel I am. I welcome everyone to this great nation, but wish when they come, they can come for a new start, new beginning, not to come here to escape a nation you wanted to leave, and make this nation what you left.
FreeRights
Guru

Re: Rights for everyone?

Post by FreeRights »

jamapple wrote:"One of the reasons society is failing is all the individual human rights we are achieving. No society can survive hen everyone is fighting for their individual rights on so many levels. It has a tendency to cause selfishness takes away from the community good. one place I really see this is following the laws of the country. In many cases this"I have rights is getting sickening". Many of rights achieved, in some way take away from someone else's rights."

This is a quote from a poster on another thread that I totally agree with, and would like to further add to.
I am a Canadian. I was born here. I have grown up to be tolerent, but I'm having a hard time with my country, the country that I still love.
You see, all countries of the world have their histories, good and bad. They also have their heritage. Our country did alot of stupid things to alot of people in the past.
people have fought and died for our freedoms. I don't think they went off to war to fight for the right of a sihk to wear a turben, or carry around a ceremonial daggar. Our RCMP were in red, with stetsons, and the yellow stripe down the sides of their trousers. No one can go to another country and dictate the way many countries have came to this land and dictated to us.
We are supposed to be a country, well, we are, just not with any distinguishing charectoristics. We used to be RCMP, bacon, poutine, maple syrup, and yes, tolerence. But I feel we are being stripped of our very existance, and are being replaced with a nation of people who accept everyone for who they are, and are willing to give up our own identity to do it.
I'm sorry for the stepping on toes, if you feel I am. I welcome everyone to this great nation, but wish when they come, they can come for a new start, new beginning, not to come here to escape a nation you wanted to leave, and make this nation what you left.

I think our tolerance is exactly one of our top distinguishing characteristics. We still have the RCMP, bacon, poutine, and maple syrup. The difference between then and now is just that other people get to be themselves. A sihk wearing a turban doesn't affect you or I, so I can't imagine that being a bad thing.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

Agreed, but my point is if you or I moved to India, or any other country, we couldn't just change their way of life.
If you want to move to Afghanistan, live like they do. We can't be changing their laws and customs to suit our needs.
Remember the old saying, "when in Rome"?
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

jamapple wrote:Agreed, but my point is if you or I moved to India, or any other country, we couldn't just change their way of life.
If you want to move to Afghanistan, live like they do. We can't be changing their laws and customs to suit our needs.
Remember the old saying, "when in Rome"?

I get what you're saying, but specifically what has changed that effects the way you live your life?
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

First of all, thank you for engaging, and not crapping. it is a touchy subject for sure.
Not alot has changed that affect my life. My government selling off all of our resorces affects everyone, but you don't really notice change. I'm not speaking of stark change that affects us individually, rather, change that has changed us as a whole, (nation that is).
We here in Canada are always being careful as to not infringe on the rights of others. That's what makes us so tolerent, and I like being tolerent, to a point.
Australia is starting to make a small stand on the other nationalities that have made them home. I feel there is nothing wrong with saying, if you feel the need to either flee your country from unrest, want to make a new start, or for whatever reason, you should be able to. But when you come here, you live by Canadian ways. Now, if you choose to not celebrate our Christmas for whatever reason, you should be free, even in Canada to not celebrate as we do. I feel strongly that we have been slowly getting holidays like Christmas taken away from us. I'm not that old, but remember the Christmas concerts in elementary school, and how well they were recieved. Then, in junior/senior high, no more Christmas concerts, just winter celebrations, because a select few took it upon themselves to complain that their rights were violated by the celebration of such an atrochous holiday, that we "Canadians" now have lost that in the school system.
The list is long, and examples plenty.
I cannot stress enough how welcome I make all people to this nation. It does make us strong, but one cannot take away the notion that is weakens us as well as divides us.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I get what you're saying, but specifically what has changed that effects the way you live your life?

I can't say Merry Christmas any more.. It offends Non Christians...

Seasons Greetings "free rights"....
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Exactly there are so many little things. It is fine to allow them to bring their culture but do not allow them to change our culture. If they don't like our culture then avoid it or go somewhere they like. I enjoy going to cultural events and seeing what other cultures do but don't allow them to change us. They must be as tolerant as we are if they want to be part of our country.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

I agree, Smurf. Our "culture" is now accepting everyone elses in our own counrty. That actually takes away from ours. We kind of have ne culture left.
HBC to the Americans, RCMP trademark to USA. Makes me wonder when Tim Hortons is going to leave. Oh wait, they make too much money, they won't be going anywhere.
Just like everything else, my friends, and you hit it right on the head. Little bits at a time. But then that day comes when you realize so many little things have been taken away.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

This is a hugely contentious topic but I agree with the notion that when in Rome as the saying goes.

We are far to submissive as a nation when it comes to bending to the wills and demands of outside cultures.

Only in Canada would an opposing culture be allowed to petition an historical policing establishment to allow the altering of the traditional uniform.

The removal of Christian reference in schools and public office.

None of these groups would allow changes like these and many others in their countries and nor should they but here, we are caught up in trying to be all things to all people and it can't work.

Please, come to Canada. Enjoy what we have. We hope that you bring some value to us as a nation and we welcome any and all who wish to make this great country their home.

Respect us and respect our heritage, culture and traditions as we would yours in your home and we will all get along just fine.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Sikhs in British Columbia are exempt from wearing a helmet how is this allowed, I understand they wear a turban for their religious beliefs but I don't think their religion requires them to ride a motorcycle yet the powers that be chose to change the law.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

There are special Kevlar turbans that have to be worn when riding a motorcycle.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

couldnt agree more why should i have to live under laws that are based in a book of fairytales , and why should first nations live under; laws imposed by europeans ?
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Huh??????????????????
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

lakevixen wrote:couldnt agree more why should i have to live under laws that are based in a book of fairytales , and why should first nations live under; laws imposed by europeans ?

Because First Nations laws were also based on a book of fairytales.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

what book is that ? what is the name ? lol as far as i hav researched it was handed down through stories which it self really means they knew they were stories not real . besides that isnt a answer its a deflection

Return to “Social Concerns”