Unbelievable: Delivery Man Denied Due to Colour

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Re: Unbelievable: Delivery Man Denied Due to Colour

Post by steven lloyd »

BoB76 wrote:I won't let a man cut my hair nor a woman fix my car. It's all preference.
BoB76 wrote:Nor will I take advice from a woman at a home improvement store unless it is a question about a washing machine or oven use features.
MAPearce wrote: Yeup.. sigh.... We ALL have a bit farther to go..
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

BoB76 wrote:Nor will I take advice from a woman at a home improvement store unless it is a question about a washing machine or oven use features.

I'm sure the women will be pleased not to have to talk to you.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
V-Rated
Guru

Post by V-Rated »

I am stunned we still have this ignorant attitude among us!
I worked in automotive parts industry and when a guy would see me, the stupid macho attitude came out. I would start to try help them only to realize they didn't know their front tire from a spark plug. I have help build many lifted trucks, given tons of $ saving advice and had a great clientele that would only deal with me due to my knowledge and they trusted me... often hearing the phrase that my old manager didn't know F*ck all would rather deal with a woman that knows something rather a man than doesn't.
*sigh* so sad for those people.
~V~
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

V-Rated wrote:I am stunned we still have this ignorant attitude among us!
I worked in automotive parts industry and when a guy would see me, the stupid macho attitude came out. I would start to try help them only to realize they didn't know their front tire from a spark plug. I have help build many lifted trucks, given tons of $ saving advice and had a great clientele that would only deal with me due to my knowledge and they trusted me... often hearing the phrase that my old manager didn't know F*ck all would rather deal with a woman that knows something rather a man than doesn't.
*sigh* so sad for those people.
~V~

I generally work on the assumption that the person behind the parts counter is working there because they have the knowledge to be doing so - regardless of gender.

Intolerance is a learned trait - be it race, gender, orientation - whichever. The only way we'll get rid of it is to breed it out of society. Thankfully, that's happening - albeit slowly. I've already done my bit. :)
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
V-Rated
Guru

Post by V-Rated »

Yes Drew! I definitely know my stuff when it comes the automotive industry. Good on you!
Also, *snicker* many men found it refreshing to have a girl at the part counter!
~V~
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

OK, now I know you're just trolling.
I birn quil I se
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

V-Rated wrote:Yes Drew! I definitely know my stuff when it comes the automotive industry. Good on you!
Also, *snicker* many men found it refreshing to have a girl at the part counter!
~V~

I have no doubt that you know your stuff. There's nothing inherently male or female about automotive knowledge/skills (or almost any skills for that matter*). If anybody tells you anything different, they're an idiot and their parents should have used birth control.

My daughter wants to study the craft of men's grooming (aka barber). She's starting with a hairdressing program in grade 12, which includes a component on beard grooming and shaving. What she is hoping to do is set up with a barber and practice the craft of a trim and shave.

I'm pretty sure she'll clean up. Hopefully she doesn't have to put up with the likes of Bob.

*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5MinVLMNc0 - this is a male skill, but not one I'm not willing to try.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

V-Rated wrote:Yes Drew! I definitely know my stuff when it comes the automotive industry. Good on you!
~V~

With the added bonus of boobs. No slight intended. Merely an acknowledgement that I would rather listen to you explain why not to buy the cheap rotors if you have boobs than the same speech from a guy with pit stains and food in his teeth.

That is a compliment dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

mexicalidreamer wrote:With the added bonus of boobs. No slight intended. Merely an acknowledgement that I would rather listen to you explain why not to buy the cheap rotors if you have boobs than the same speech from a guy with pit stains and food in his teeth.

That is a compliment dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just to burst your bubble...

Who you hope to see in the garage:

Who I prefer to see:

Second one: Wearing gloves (cares about carcinogens), Coveralls, probably some serious footwear. ...and she's obviously trained. Stare at the boobs of the first all you want, but I'd much rather be dealing with the professional.

(The story is worth a read: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2012/05/07/column_women_mechanics_face_mad_men_moments_at_work_porter.html)
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

Notice how she is working on a mini van? Gotta fix what they should be driving.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Bob ...

One look and I knew you were wrong about ladies working on cars. The pictures would make a guy say "Thanks, I'll wait here" for a complete motor rebuild.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

The first one has an old Dodge, she ain't going nowhere in a while.
Maybe women #1 can call up professional women #2 to come over and fix it.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

I don't think that woman number one is going to fix much on the vehicle with the jigsaw with the wood blade in it that someone put in her hand before snapping the picture.

The two pictures appear to depict the two extremes of the ability of women to work on cars. Theory vs reality.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

You can't fix stupid.....

From your posts Bob. Couldn't agree more.

I'll take whats behind door number 1 because we (I thought) were talking about parts girls and not mechanics.

Whats the point in having a hot mechanic? You caint see nuthin thru them stupid coveralls!!!

Any gal that can fix my car is a gal who can fix my car.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

Return to “Social Concerns”