Driving 101: merging in traffic

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
a non imouse

Driving 101: merging in traffic

Post by a non imouse »

Attention Kelowna drivers: Read this and learn the simple rules of merging in traffic!

Steve Wallace / Times Colonist
August 14, 2015 06:00 AM

"Let me start by saying that many British Columbians simply can’t merge properly. It is a relatively simple task that eludes many drivers in our province. Everywhere else in the civilized world, there is an acceptance of the principle of “zipper” merging. It means drivers proceed to the source of the merge, perhaps a construction speed zone, where vehicles travelling at low speed converge and form one lane. At that point, they should alternate the order of moving forward in the path of travel." - See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/steve-wall ... imDwF.dpuf

http://www.timescolonist.com/steve-wallace-zipper-merging-a-basic-key-driving-principle-1.2030468
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Re: Driving 101: merging in traffic

Post by TreeGuy »

People drive down merge lanes like they are waiting for an invitation. When you slow a bit to let them in they aren't paying attention and don't take the space made for them.

Accelerate up to speed, get ahead or get behind a vehicle you want to merge with, not driving along beside them. This drives me crazy.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

My mama always told me it was polite to move into the inside lane (wherever possible) to open up the outside lane for people merging in.

Too bad no one else's told them that.

Or like TreeGuy said, you slow down just enough to give them room to merge in and they don't. Now you're left having to speed back up in the hopes they'll get in behind you as not to come to a full stop in the merge.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Another serious problem I see constantly is turning at corners. It seems no one knows that you turn into the nearest lane. For example turning right, you turn into the right lane nearest to you. Not into the center lane, far left lane or whatever. If you want to get into one of those other lanes you merge properly after you have made the proper turn. Every day I see someone stopped, waiting to turn, because they want to go directly across 2 or 3 lanes instead of making a proper turn. When will people learn how to drive???
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

Return to “Social Concerns”