Shambhala Harm Reduction

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Shambhala Harm Reduction

Post by Gixxer »

Shambhala Music Festival in Salmo is making headlines in harm reduction at music festivals. Too bad other music festivals didnt follow their lead.

http://www.nelsonstar.com/news/306012261.html

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/TV%20Show ... 673900334/

https://tenthstreetdinner.wordpress.com ... l-culture/
V-Rated
Guru

Re: Shambhala Harm Reduction

Post by V-Rated »

Excellent articles! Thanks Gixxer.
~V~
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

I second the appreciation for the article links you posted, Gixxer

However, this Old Fart wants to know how these 'events', and the like, can legally operate with the, what I understand, is the pretty outright and open drug sales and use?
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

People use drugs regardless of music festivals.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I think it's smart in dealing with the reality of things.
Even if you have a zero tolerance for people using these drugs and believe it's a big mistake etc. It's being consumed regardless and shouldn't come at a cost of a life if avoidable.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Barney Google wrote:I second the appreciation for the article links you posted, Gixxer

However, this Old Fart wants to know how these 'events', and the like, can legally operate with the, what I understand, is the pretty outright and open drug sales and use?

Providing harm reduction services does not mean that a festival condones the use of drugs. There also are not "open drug sales" at these events.

The risk that is being mitigated here isn't drug use, it's illness or death as a result of drug use. So while the event and the event organizers are not making a "drug friendly" festival, they are providing a festival with the services that enable those who are going to use drugs anyway a way to ensure that they do so safely.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
manmade
Fledgling

Post by manmade »

Barney Google wrote:I second the appreciation for the article links you posted, Gixxer

There is no evidence of that the drugs were sold/bought on site. With regards to use, remember that safe injection sites operate under the same 'harm reduction' principle. As such, Ankors is sanctioned to legally operate under that capacity by the local enforcement and health authorities
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

I know three young people who have attended this event for a few years. There are drugs being sold there and a vast variety.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
V-Rated
Guru

Post by V-Rated »

manmade wrote:There is no evidence of that the drugs were sold/bought on site.

You are right, no evidence in those articles listed, but as for being on site... it is all over. The fact Ankors is there does say there is drugs on site. Like the lady in the video say... it is real.
~V~
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Barney Google wrote:I know three young people who have attended this event for a few years. There are drugs being sold there and a vast variety.

You must not have read any of the articles.

Ive attended this event for 10 years, and like any other event drugs can be purchased if wanted. Shambhala does their best to prevent drugs from getting in, and will have a dealer removed if they're are openly dealing
manmade
Fledgling

Post by manmade »

You can
V-Rated wrote:You are right, no evidence in those articles listed, but as for being on site... it is all over. The fact Ankors is there does say there is drugs on site. Like the lady in the video say... it is real.
~V~

Yes, it is real, and I never said there were no drugs on site.
Edit: I simply indicated that there is no HARD evidence they were bought or sold on site.
V-Rated
Guru

Post by V-Rated »

Yes, that is what I said.
~V~
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Guess people who attend saying that there is drug use and selling is not HARD evidence enough?

If they feel the need to have Ankors there that kinda speaks volumes to me.
- Unknown
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Barney Google wrote:Guess people who attend saying that there is drug use and selling is not HARD evidence enough?

If they feel the need to have Ankors there that kinda speaks volumes to me.

And despite what "volumes" in which it speaks to you, it's irrelevant because the goal is to provide a safe and secure environment for people to enjoy themselves. A harm reduction model helps with that.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

FreeRights wrote:And despite what "volumes" in which it speaks to you, it's irrelevant because the goal is to provide a safe and secure environment for people to enjoy themselves. A harm reduction model helps with that.

Irrelevant or not...'downplaying' drug presence or use is denying the necessity for the need of safe and secure environment for 'people to enjoy themselves'. Fact is, there are drugs being used at these events, legal or not, making sure people are safe is paramount.
- Unknown

Return to “Social Concerns”