Shambhala Harm Reduction

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Shambhala Harm Reduction

Post by fluffy »

Atomoa wrote:The bigger it gets the more problems they have. Also it seems peace and love raver hippies turn into raging capitalists once the big bucks start rolling in.

A couple of huge points there. Any long running event that gets a reputation for permissiveness will eventually attract more and more people with questionable personal boundaries when it comes to getting a buzz on. And there's nothing new about profit motives overriding more ethical concerns, like personal safety or the environment.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

fluffy wrote:And there's nothing new about profit motives overriding more ethical concerns, like personal safety or the environment.

Share and care! (unless it cuts into their jet fuel budget).
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Katfish1
Fledgling

Post by Katfish1 »

http://thump.vice.com/en_ca/article/sob ... to-gallery
Another interesting article
Not everyone does drugs at Shambhala...not that I'm saying they do.
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.ॐ
John Lennon
manmade
Fledgling

Post by manmade »

dcipher wrote:
LOL! More of it! :-) In terms of reports, statistics and mainstream media have reported extensively on what we all know:

drug use is rampant there and rising
accidents have been caused by driving impairment
police have been trying greater road check enforcement
lots of OD's going on (over 100 reported in 2014 between Shambhala and another festival)

It's ironic that people arguing for realism and utilitarianism regarding the ANKORS tent, are the same ones claiming these things don't happen! :-) Self contradiction doesn't discourage some people....

I couldn't care less about any of it - though I don't support all the tax payer money being drained into this.

shambhala is a privately run enterprise that pays a ridiculously high premium to the local authorities, as do all festivals/events of this nature. there is minimal taxpayer money being spent. and if it is, well think of the economic benefits 10,000 people can generate to the local economy. Hint, they ALL fill up at the Salmo Esso for gas on the back home.

what some folks fail to recognize is that shambhala continues to succeed and thrive because of its progressive approach to issues like harm reduction, safety, and grass roots/community support. Whether you like it or not, there is no other festival like it, this is why it has been running uninterrupted for 19 years, with the support of the all local authorities :up:

if you think you know more about it than those who attend, think again. do yourself a favour and buy a ticket. They go on sale Sep 2, and they always sell out
icanthearyou
Fledgling

Post by icanthearyou »

Atomoa wrote:Share and care! (unless it cuts into their jet fuel budget).

man alive! what on earth are you going on about. i've heard this kind of talk before and it's often from bitter kootenay ex-ravers, nelson wash-outs, who got close with the Bundschuh's hoping to leave their mark on the festival. People who defined their very existence around what they thought Shambhala should be, only to find out that the "party" is actually a cutting edge, forward-thinking social movement that operates on a global scale with the help and support of all local, regional, provincial, and federal authorities. They actually work with "the man"

If there ever was a community stakeholder that wanted to shut down shambhala, city hall, rcmp, fire dept, unions, RDCK, etc, they would have done it a very, very, long time ago.

FYI, scener is a hacker. A more fitting description is scenester/clubber/raver/basshead

FYI 2, here is link to the gofundme campaign for the "fentanyl tester". It's put on by Ankors, not the festival. While the former has a strong presence at the latter, they are not connected.

From the Ankors site
ANKORS Vision:

Individual and community wellness for all.

Mission Statement

ANKORS’ mission is to respond to the evolving needs of those living with and affected by HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis C and other blood borne pathogens; and to foster healthy, informed communities.

Mandate

ANKORS will work from a wellness model and through:

Support and advocacy;
Harm reduction, prevention and education;
Delivery of programs and services that are client-centred and focused on the whole person; and
Partnerships with others.
Shock

Post by Shock »

ya - not sure why people keep thinking that the festival is purchasing fentanyl testing equipment. They're not, ankors is trying to (so far unsuccessfully). While some people view this as a "red flag" the bottom line is that the harm reduction initiative has the support of local authorities, otherwise it would have been shut down long time ago
amigo don't drink the water
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Katfish1 wrote:http://thump.vice.com/en_ca/article/sober-ravers-camp-clean-beats-shambhala-2016-photo-gallery
Another interesting article
Not everyone does drugs at Shambhala...not that I'm saying they do.

no one ever said everyone at shambhala did drugs, glad you found a few that do not
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

if shambhala needs to have a 20,000 fentanyl drug test kit , so a few to maybe many not od, well maybe just maybe there just might be a big problem here.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

the truth wrote:if shambhala needs to have a 20,000 fentanyl drug test kit , so a few to maybe many not od, well maybe just maybe there just might be a big problem here.

Its really unfortunate you cant see the bigger picture.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

It's unfortunate that people need to use alcohol or drugs to have good/fun time.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
deeball

Post by deeball »

I applaud ANKORS for the services that they provide, free of charge. They don't make money trying to save peoples lives. Shambhala does not have a fentanyl problem, BC has a fentanyl problem. People are dying from taking something which they do not want. This happens at other festivals, bars, house parties,etc. ANKORS posts everything that is going around that is dangerous so the rest of the party-goers are aware.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

GordonH wrote:It's unfortunate that people need to use alcohol or drugs to have good/fun time.

yup.............
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

deeball wrote:I applaud ANKORS for the services that they provide, free of charge. They don't make money trying to save peoples lives. Shambhala does not have a fentanyl problem, BC has a fentanyl problem. People are dying from taking something which they do not want. This happens at other festivals, bars, house parties,etc. ANKORS posts everything that is going around that is dangerous so the rest of the party-goers are aware.

so now people need a thing like ankors, to help not od honestly ,can the human race dummy down any more.
deeball

Post by deeball »

People have been using drugs and alcohol for fun since the beginning of time! Gimme a break, what hasn't been around since the beginning of time are these super potent drugs that are being manufactured and cut into everything. PMMA, fentanyl, W18, ect, are deadly and are not what the users are after. They have even found this crap laced into pot. Welcome to our new reality. In the end it is the responsibility of the person who is using this stuff but I guarantee it is not what they're looking for. Drug dealers that sell this crap should be sent away for a long time.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

well with all that crap going around, guess what ??? maybe,just maybe--do not do drugs--
if you need to do drugs to have a good time maybe,just maybe you might have a problem

Return to “Social Concerns”