"Human" caused fires

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
mexi cali
Guru

Re: "Human" caused fires

Post by mexi cali »

Reading every second word is not only lazy; it can cause you to say stupid things.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

ANd........................... I will raise you an "I think that illegal campfires cause more fires than discarded cigarette butts".Ma?

Heh heh! Now what
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

Seems a lot of the fires lately started very close to the highway and not a campground or camp fire.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Coming back into town yesterday from picking up my boy from camping (no fires allowed, only camp stove - with grandparents spot-checking) and ended up in the one lane alternating traffic in Joe Rich. There was char from the fire from the road to up the slope. Two engines, flaggers and it was out by the time we went through, but they were making sure.

So no idea what caused that one, but it was right beside the highway.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Must have been a camper that didn't want to go too far. LOL
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

mexicalidreamer wrote:ANd........................... I will raise you an "I think that illegal campfires cause more fires than discarded cigarette butts".Ma?

Heh heh! Now what

That's up to you Mexi.... Compare my first post to yours...

I said that this would turn into "smoker bashing " thread and YOU were the first to prove that ..

Then you not only admit you have a "thing" against smokers , but told us all why.... Ignore science and the physics of how things happen if you want . You only show your prejudice.

Your move .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Why don't you start a poll and ask people what they think. Out of cigarettes, broken glass, camp fires or what ever, which starts the most fires.

I vote cigarettes.

Of human caused fires what is the most common cause.

I vote cigarettes.

In fact I'll bet they cause more than all others put together.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I know someone on these forums imparted knowledge given to them by their father in another thread.. Right along the line of actually how difficult it is to start a fire with a cig butt at the side of the road.....

I'm sure you're not a smoker either Smurf... It kind of shows. I must wonder if you were once, then quit and share the same bitterness as Mexi??
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Of those campfires, how many were smokers?
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Gixxer wrote:Of those campfires, how many were smokers?

That could be a good question ....If It were worded properly..

Of all those people who started illegal campfires , how many were smokers ? And it could be answered with an equally valid question..

Did the embers from a much hotter campfire ignite the forest , or was it the cig butt that didn't quit make into the fire and hit the dirt just outside the pit ??

I bet , you'd vote the butt. That much is very predictable.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

There is no doubt that illegal campfires are the cause of some forest fires. I believe that not all forest fires are started by careless smokers. I also believe that due to an increase in narcissism and lack of responsibility in our society at large, more smokers are careless than used to be say, 30 years ago.

When I walk along the streets downtown, or the beaches, or hike Knox, I see butts. I also see garbage discarded by other foolish and narcissistic individuals who believes the world revolves around them. However, an empty hamburger wrapper or a discarded coffee cup does not have the same inherent fire danger as a discarded butt.
I haven't failed until I quit.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I also believe that due to an increase in narcissism and lack of responsibility in our society at large, more smokers are careless than used to be say, 30 years ago.

Sure ... But I've noticed an increase of forest fires , started at the side of the road, ever since the " introduction" of the distracted driving law.... I'm of the opinion that the courteous driver not wanting to get heavily fined and receive the added demerit points to their licence for talking on a cell phone is just as responsible ... Just for pulling over to obey the law.

Face it , the number of smokers has decreased significantly over the last say 30 years , while the number of hand held gadgets,laws that prohibit their use , cars with mandatory pollution control and roadways though inter face , rural and forested areas has increased.. Lending credibility to the OPs OP..

To ignore all of that only serves to verify my original post... This will and HAS become a smoker bash thread

Return to “Social Concerns”