Poorly educated or just lazy?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Mama
Lord of the Board

Poorly educated or just lazy?

Post by Mama »

So first off, I was NOT a great student. Grammar, spelling and punctuation are not my strengths.
But when I see "professionals" with the grammar of grade schoolers it concerns me.

Todays example..."New father and West Kelowna resident Ben Pallett risked it all to follow his personal and professional dream to pursue a better life for him and his family.

Am I wrong, should this not be " HE and his family"?
MY GREATEST FEAR IS, THERE IS NO PMS, AND THIS IS MY REAL PERSONALITY.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Poorly educated or just lazy?

Post by oneh2obabe »

He and his family--if in the subject position. i.e. He and his family attended the wedding.
Him and his family--if in the object position. i.e. The food was saved for him and his family.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Just read a newspaper if you want mistakes. I know I make many also but at least I am not a so called professional with a proof reader. I think a good majority of it is lazy. I also believe all the use of social media is making it worse.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Mama
Lord of the Board

Post by Mama »

oneh2obabe wrote:He and his family--if in the subject position. i.e. He and his family attended the wedding.
Him and his family--if in the object position. i.e. The food was saved for him and his family.

Thanks!
MY GREATEST FEAR IS, THERE IS NO PMS, AND THIS IS MY REAL PERSONALITY.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

"He and his family" does not scan well even tho it may be more correct.
Personally I would say it another way
One of my pet peeves is referring to boats as crafts.
We're lost but we're making good time.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

great post *removed* who cares.boats crafts ships dingy.
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Aug 26th, 2015, 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: You know why. STOP IT NOW!
psychprof
Fledgling

Post by psychprof »

I teach first year university courses. Every year I hold a funeral for the English language.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

psychprof wrote:I teach first year university courses. Every year I hold a funeral for the English language.

True dat.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

thas goot
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Grammar snobs are hilarious. They're the same type of people that couldn't change the oil in their car, or a flat tire on the side of the road.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Gixxer wrote:Grammar snobs are hilarious. They're the same type of people that couldn't change the oil in their car, or a flat tire on the side of the road.

I beg your pardon! I can tell a Roberston from a Phillips, I can jump a car and use a drill, do most of my own repairs (including drywalling). Just because I was raised to appreciate the elegance of the English language does not mean I am incapable of doing practical tasks.
I haven't failed until I quit.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Hey Gixxer, I kind of disregard P Poor writing, using there for their or then for than etc.

If you look in other threads you can see pics of the electric tractor I built and use daily. Have swapped engines that weighed a thousand kilos or more. can bang in nails, design and build a yacht and sail it under the Golden Gate Bridge, from Vancouver.
Cannot stand L Ron Hubbards sf books because he is a *bleep* writer grammatically speaking.

You probably say ashfalt instead of as phalt.
We're lost but we're making good time.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

psychprof wrote:I teach first year university courses. Every year I hold a funeral for the English language.

Whatever you do, do not wade into the complicated World of the comment section of CNN's facebook site.
Leave that for the professional mourners.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

I was always taught that each must be able to stand alone.

"to pursue a better life for him(self)" - yes
"to pursue a better life for his family" - yes

"to pursue a better life for he" - nooooooo

I believe it was written correctly.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Lady tehMa wrote:I beg your pardon! I can tell a Roberston from a Phillips, I can jump a car and use a drill, do most of my own repairs (including drywalling). Just because I was raised to appreciate the elegance of the English language does not mean I am incapable of doing practical tasks.

Well are you a grammar snob? That's nice you can do practical tasks. The point I was making is that people that are great in grammar, might lack skills in other areas.
If the engine in your car blew up today would you be able to repair it yourself? If not is the mechanic that could repair it poorly educated, or just lazy?

Return to “Social Concerns”