Funerals - we all gotta go sometime, are you ready?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Re: Funerals - we all gotta go sometime, are you ready?

Post by Barney Google »

V-Rated wrote:It may have looked like they didn't have closure but I would hope that is what the spreading of ashes represented.
Also, do you know why they waited so long?
~V~

That's pretty to think but I know these folks personally and I know that the spreading of the ashes wasn't closure for all of them. Not all of the family members were able to be present. Apparently the wait was for a memorial bench to be placed in a park and the local city took almost two years to do that.

My point V was that folks whose final wishes include requesting that nothing be done when they pass maybe need to think that those who are left behind just might need even the most littlest of something done so they get the closure and support they might need. I get the no expenses or fuss deal...actually can fully appreciate it but after seeing the struggles of this family and in particular of the one daughter it makes me wonder. I also, from my experience, feel that people need to address what impact their passing will have on their young children or grandchildren. Believe me, children grieve BIG TIME, they are sometimes hushed away or kept out of attending funerals. That's another reason why I enjoy Life Celebrations.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

*removed*
Last edited by I Think on Sep 15th, 2015, 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We're lost but we're making good time.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Sep 15th, 2015, 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

My teacher used to call them Fun erals.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Think, you are going to get the two of us expelled...or at the very least time in detention.

lol
- Unknown
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Okay Think...lets get back on topic...you got any plans or wishes when your untimely demise comes about?
- Unknown
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Before you are born your body is put together into a living human form using bits and pieces according to the blueprints provided by your parents DNA.

When you die your body disintegrates and dissipates back into the building blocks from which it was built.

It is all part of the at least 15 billion year old ongoing story of the universe relating to energy and matter.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Barney, I posted earlier in the topic, that when I am done with this frame, please strip out anything that is useful to anyone, and then compost it or dispose of it in the least expensive legal way possible.
Once I am done, why would I care what happens to it?
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

You might no longer care Think but others possibly will.

I like your compost idea...
- Unknown
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

I have already arranged with a local funeral home what is to be done with my body when I die. It will be very simple.

The Home will pick up the body, dress it in the clothes provided and prepare it for viewing. A viewing casket will be rented for the purpose. The funeral will consist of a one hour "meet and greet" of those immediate relatives wishing to attend at the Funeral Home Chappel during which time people may "view" the body if desired.

When the family leave the body will be incinerated and the ashes returned to the family in a small box to be stored or disposed of as the family sees fit. My wife and my sons have the final say in all things.

Atoms to atoms.
Carmencat
Übergod

Post by Carmencat »

Jo wrote:Genealogy is actually one reason I'm considering burial rather than cremation. It makes you more discoverable, and a person can visit your grave and think about things. It was so cool, albeit a bit strange, to be standing at the grave of my great-grandmother, born 1850. Until then she had been just a name in my research, but there at her grave I had a stronger sense of her by far. Sure it was just a grave, but . . . that was her DNA right there, under me. It was a strange feeling, and somehow comforting to feel that sense of connection.

You can be just as 'discoverable' cremated as buried. Most cemetaries have a columbarium which houses urns containing cremated remains. Usually each niche holds two urns (ie remains of a husband and wife). The plaque has the same info as a grave marker would - person's name, year of birth and year of death. My parents' ashes are at the columbarium at the Lakeview Memorial Gardens Cemetary. Well half of each are - the other half we spread in various places - grounds of their childhood homes, home I grew up in, their retirement home and even Lake Okanagan.

When hubby and I were discussing this topic several years ago I asked him if he wanted to be buried or cremated. His answer was "Surprise me." Ha. But we will be cremated, and have the same thing done as we did with my parents' ashes.

Return to “Social Concerns”