Muslim flight attendant suspended

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Muslim flight attendant suspended

Post by the truth »

wow,that many, I will have to work on that 10/10 lol
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Just to stir the pot a little bit ...

A man says he has been fired from his Calgary Transit job after refusing to drive a city bus wrapped in rainbow colours in support of gay pride.

Jesse Rau says his religious beliefs prevented him from driving the Pride bus and he shared his views with reporters and on social media.

Rau says a supervisor chastised him for speaking out and told him that bus drivers would have to drive the bus.

But in his termination letter that he released, city officials say Rau was never asked to drive the Pride bus and that he was losing his job for breaching the city's code of conduct and media relations policy.

Rau had been driving for the service for less than a year and was still on probation.

He says he was fired for something that was unrelated to his job.

"Prior to this issue, I was told that, due to my good work performance, I was supervisor material," he said in a written statement Friday. "To go from awaiting promotion to facing joblessness simply for standing for my Christian faith in a supposedly free country is horrible."

The city has said it does not comment about specific personnel matters.

In his termination letter city officials say Rau has proven to be unsuitable for continued employment.

"To be clear, you are entitled to your religious beliefs and to express them freely," reads the letter. "However, you went beyond that and made false and misleading comments during various media interviews which resulted in undue controversy and put the reputation of the city at risk."

The Pride bus was driven on different routes in the city until the Pride Parade, which took place Sunday. (CHQR, The Canadian Press)

http://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/147 ... iver-fired
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

JBX wrote:Whelp, I'm thinking she should be fired. Do the job your hired for if you cant because of your religion then, *gasp*, don't take the job.

Personal responsibly, why is it such a foreign concept.

Exactly.

I'm not going to take a job at Hershey's if I'm allergic to peanuts. I'm not going to work in a butcher's shop if I'm a vegan. I'm not going to take a job where I have to serve booze, if it's against my religion.

Just people being stupid and selfish.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

fvkasm2x wrote:Exactly.

I'm not going to take a job at Hershey's if I'm allergic to peanuts. I'm not going to work in a butcher's shop if I'm a vegan. I'm not going to take a job where I have to serve booze, if it's against my religion.

Just people being stupid and selfish.

Just to play Devil's Advocate for a second, what happens if you get a job selling groceries, and then the owner decides to start selling booze? Should you be fired or should the employer accommodate your beliefs around selling alcohol?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Glacier wrote:Just to play Devil's Advocate for a second, what happens if you get a job selling groceries, and then the owner decides to start selling booze? Should you be fired or should the employer accommodate your beliefs around selling alcohol?

If I were the owner, I'd try to accommodate. I'd send different delivery people out when booze was involved.

If that weren't possible, I'd offer the person a different job within the company.

If neither were optional, then what am I supposed to do? Stop part of my business because of this? Lose money on orders because of it?

I'd be interested to read the actually "rule/law" from the religion. I thought it was "wrong" to drink alcohol, not serve it.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

This is an example of how ridiculous the whole Muslim issue (and others) has become. It is not the employer who should be in a position of making a choice, but the employee whose religion prohibits doing some of the work required. Especially when, on flights with under 50 passengers, only one flight attendant is used by the company.

Different rules for different people is what resulted in the employees themselves complaining to management about the special rules for one employee. No different than a store selling alcohol or ham. Do the job or quit/be laid off.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To fvcasm2x ...

Theory vs reality.

And if you only had one delivery person, or delivery person for certain periods of time??

The airline only had one flight attendant on flights with under 50 passengers.

Return to “Social Concerns”