Online Dating Hazards

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
V-Rated
Guru

Re: Online Dating Hazards

Post by V-Rated »

abandonedhousewife wrote:Cougars, Stalkers, Cheating Spouses, or Simply Fake?
Is on line dating sites legit?

The fact you asked about it tells me that maybe it's a good idea you best not try.
Too many stories of people taking advantage of others. If you do, go into it eyes wide open!
Good luck!
~V~
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I know a guy who described himself as a fun loving musician blah blah blah who's girlfriend lived in his basement suite, cleaned his house and looked after his kids.

Ya, "available" and "unsuitable" all rolled into one.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Just a thought, a few people have been known to hook up here on Castanet.

There used to be get togethers we called G2Gs and a bunch would show up.

i believe some met afterwards for more face time than social media time. Was there a wedding or two?

Todays newer posters don't seem to have that same cohesion, the likemindedness to get together at one huge place to yak and see what "Glacier" looks like in real time. I never see G2G threads anymore.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Queen K wrote:Just a thought, a few people have been known to hook up here on Castanet.

I told Triple6 to keep it down about our "dates". Women...
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

If meeting in person for the first time do something quick and simple like a 15 minute coffee.
Nooby
Übergod

Post by Nooby »

In the days before online dating sites, i did the personal ad in the newspaper thing. One of my respondents lied in his letter to me - said he loved 'long walks in the evening'. I'm lucky if I can get him to walk around the block with me and the dogs.:) Oh -we've been married 25 years so it worked out well despite that lie.

As others have said, just be careful and use good judgement.
artistwithaflare
Board Meister

Post by artistwithaflare »

[/i]
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Captain Awesome wrote:I told Triple6 to keep it down about our "dates". Women...

"dates" snort. Is that what you're calling them?
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
davis123
Board Meister

Re: On Line Dating Hazards

Post by davis123 »

Barney Google wrote:Is it really that hard to meet people today without the risks associated with 'putting yourself out there' on some random internet site? What has changed from the past where people met perspective 'friends' through family, friends, colleagues or by going to events or social gatherings like art exhibits, wine tastings, car shows, county fairs where one might strike up a conversation with a person having the same interests? From what I have read and learned through others I know who have tried the On Line Dating deal...there are a LOT of losers out there whose profiles are a load of waste material.

There are a lot of losers for sure, but there are some really good people too, it's like finding a needle in a haystack. But online dating really is not that different than meeting someone randomly in-person. For myself once a few initial messages went back and forth (say a week at the most) then I would arrange a quick coffee meeting, NEVER dinner, because if the person is a freak you need to bolt quickly! I would pick some random place that is not a regular hangout for me, because again if they are a freak you don't want to see them again at your favorite coffee place or whatever. If they lied about their appearance that was the end right there, cause if they lie about what they look like, guaranteed they are lying about everything.

I found it quite disturbing how many married men are on there, they fully admit it as well. I'm sure married woman do the same. I always gave them a piece of my mind lol, and told them if they put this much effort into their wife/relationship they would likely be happy or take steps to divorce, instead of being a greasy snake on a dating site. After I realized how many creeps there were like this, I created a 'fake' profile, no pictures, I made the fake account girl sound a little slutty lol, whoever messaged that 'fake girl', I blocked from my real account. It helped weed out the guys just trying to get laid, versus the guys that were looking for more than just a booty call.
artistwithaflare
Board Meister

Interesting perspective's and experiences on line! Congrats to those who found love!
I have known quite a few folks who went on line to find a mate. There are a few categories when it comes to profiles!
-Some profiles are simply fake to entertain whoever hides behind them.
-Other profiles are genuine but weather they are equipped or really ready for a relationship is another thing?
-My friends on line say ,if you have kids; try to find someone who has them too.
-If you really want a relationship avoid those who have never experienced one.
-Pictures are deceiving and anyone who puts too much value in them needs their shallowness tested.
-Displaying pictures of your assets(body or car!) will attract like minded folks though!
-You really need to be articulate enough to carry on an intelligent conversation via texting.
-If they prefer sex talk, be prepared to entertain or stock up on condoms!
Just say it as it is!
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

I wanna try online dating, but SWMBO won't let me.
We're lost but we're making good time.
Auto1
Board Meister

Post by Auto1 »

Be really careful of your name choice as well... Your name on here gives a mental image...

Pick carefully.

I know someone whose daughter thought that "Cookie" was short and cute... Turns out, cookie has several -uh- meanings. (This was over a decade ago.).

Again, your screen name should not shout that you are desperate. Use short but TRUE sentences. And only a few pics.
artistwithaflare
Board Meister

There is so much more behind a picture OR a name!
It's a real guessing game...

[img][img][img][img][img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img]
Just say it as it is!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

That's why you don't spend too long on-line with them. What's too long? When your relationship can't get past a keyboard and you're wanting to meet up.

I know someone who connected with a man on-line, they met at the Detroit airport and the next week he asked her to marry him. They now live in Chilliwack, it happens.
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

Met my significant other on an online dating site almost 10 years ago. After a bad break-up and taking some time to mend my wounds, my friends pressured me to put up a profile. Many of people who contacted me, were clearly misrepresenting themselves or were just plain creepy. I didn't enjoy sifting through all the weird messages and I met more than a few questionable people in person. I was pretty much ready to give up and take my profile down. I'm glad I didn't because the next message I got was from the person I'm now married to. I hate the term 'soul mate'...but that's really the only way to describe it.

One thing I would suggest for first date/meeting, is to do something fun with some distractions. Coffee and or lunch can be tricky sometimes. Things like mini golf, bowling, cycling, going to a fair, wandering around an art gallery or museum etc... can work well because there's more going on. Less opportunity for awkward silence and there are other distractions if things might not be going as smoothly. Keep things light. Again, like the one of the previous posts...go in the daytime and stick to public places.

Return to “Social Concerns”