Teaching Toddlers About Gay Pride

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Re: Teaching Toddlers About Gay Pride

Post by whatwhat »

Thinktank wrote:Wow.

Someone agrees with me - that toddlers shouldn't be shown obscene old ugly vulgarity.

There's hope for this world yet.

Thanks MAPearce.

You have yet to prove the "obscene old ugly vulgarity". Would love to see some pictures.

And that is the thing, not everyone is ashamed with nudity, and sexuality. So if you don't want your kids around that type of behavior, then don't bring them there, don't by the book. But obviously their are lots of people who are more open minded, and they are free to bring their children to the parade.
hail Satan y'all
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

whatwhat wrote:But obviously their are lots of people who are more open minded, and they are free to bring their children to the parade.

there's no law against it.

But about the book:
It won the American Library Association's 2015 Stonewall Award and the International Reading Association's Notable Books for a Global Society Award. In this interview with Out in the Bay host Eric Jansen, Pitman reads This Day in June -- all 63 words! -- and talks about the differences between writing for academics and for toddlers.

Wow. Some twisted old people are really working overtime to "push" certain things on little kids.
they even give the book an award.
Why don't they push it on their own kids, instead of writing a "picture book" for all kids.

http://kalw.org/post/teaching-toddlers- ... y#stream/0
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

And that is the thing, not everyone is ashamed with nudity, and sexuality. So if you don't want your kids around that type of behavior, then don't bring them there, don't by the book. But obviously their are lots of people who are more open minded, and they are free to bring their children to the parade

Wait a minute.....

I would strongly object "gay pride" being taught to toddlers or any one else in a public system..Or anything other than the "3 R's" for that matter.

Face it , kids today are having trouble with basic A,B,C's , special needs kids can't get funding or find teachers willing to put up with them and the list goes on ... Why would anyone think of burdening an already stretched out system with more ??
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

MAPearce wrote:Wait a minute.....

I would strongly object "gay pride" being taught to toddlers or any one else in a public system..Or anything other than the "3 R's" for that matter.

Face it , kids today are having trouble with basic A,B,C's , special needs kids can't get funding or find teachers willing to put up with them and the list goes on ... Why would anyone think of burdening an already stretched out system with more ??

Wait... When did the school system get brought in to this??
hail Satan y'all
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Taking an excerpt from the link above ...

<snip> Psychology professor Gayle Pitman's children’s book This Day in June, a picture book about Pride parades, helps parents and teachers introduce sexual orientation concepts to very young kids. <snip>

There is absolutely nothing wrong with parents teaching their children about the dynamics of relationships. Doesn't matter if it's man/woman, man/man, or woman/woman - you answer their questions at a level they understand.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Thinktank wrote:Wow. Some twisted old people are really working overtime to "push" certain things on little kids.
they even give the book an award.
Why don't they push it on their own kids, instead of writing a "picture book" for all kids.

http://kalw.org/post/teaching-toddlers- ... y#stream/0
\

How are they pushing it on to kids?? They just wrote a book. If the parent doesn't feel comfortable reading it to their kids, then they won't buy it. No one is forcing the parent to buy the book.

Obviously they is a market for children books like this, or else it wouldn't have been made, but I don't see how someone writing it is pushing it on to people? 50 shades of grey didn't push BDSM on to the world, because the people who didn't agree, or weren't interested just didn't read the book.
hail Satan y'all
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thinktank wrote:Do you think toddlers should be taught to experience a 'gay pride parade?'[/b]

discuss

Is this a book being taught in schools? At the local bookstore?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Fancy wrote:Is this a book being taught in schools? At the local bookstore?

I am interested in knowing if teachers are using this too??

I can see it being a useful tool. When I was in elementary school, they did offer a sort of sex education spin off, I can see if being read there. Or maybe if a teacher was gay (while I was in school, teachers talked about their spouses, and even brought them into school and classes. I can see it bringing it up questions). And now a days, children are coming out as gay, and transsexual younger and younger. Maybe if a child was openly gay, it could be a useful tool in addressing questions, and reducing bullying.
hail Satan y'all
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

"Wow.

Someone agrees with me - that toddlers shouldn't be shown obscene old ugly vulgarity.

There's hope for this world yet."
TT - if you have toddlers don't go naked in front of them.
Gay Prides are fun with a capital F. And please quit pretending you are looking for shocking photos for the Forum when in fact you are prolly get outfit ideas for next years parade
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

oneh2obabe wrote:There is absolutely nothing wrong with parents teaching their children about the dynamics of relationships. Doesn't matter if it's man/woman, man/man, or woman/woman - you answer their questions at a level they understand.

Holy Cow.

the book is encouraging toddlers about "gay parades"

Are you out of your mind?
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

^^^Nice try but you're so far off the track it's not even funny. So, you'd rather keep your children (if you have any) in a vacuum and not teach them anything about relationships, sex, drugs, puberty, etc? They learn enough in schoolyards, on the street, and from friends it's best they have at least some basic knowledge so they can separate fact from *bleep*. Try it, you might find you like it.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thinktank wrote:Holy Cow.

the book is encouraging toddlers about "gay parades"

Are you out of your mind?

You aren't expressing yourself enough to suggest you've even read it.

In a wildly whimsical, validating, and exuberant reflection of the LGBT community, This Day In June welcomes readers to experience a pride celebration and share in a day when we are all united.
Also included is a Reading Guide chock-full of facts about LGBT history and culture, as well as a Note to Parents and Caregivers with information on how to talk to children about sexual orientation and gender identity in age-appropriate ways.
This Day In June is an excellent tool for teaching respect, acceptance, and understanding of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people.

http://www.apa.org/pubs/magination/441B151.aspx
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

It's geared to ages 4 - 8 from one review.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Re: Teaching Toddlers About Gay Pride & Relationship Diversi

Post by StraitTalk »

Static wrote:Who cares what ones sexual preference is. What is their to teach? Things like the above turn something that is not an issue into one IMO.

I know exactly what you mean, but we live in a world where indoctrination ties very much into discrimination and often hate towards others and so, I don't see an issue with science and art acknowledging what can be normal in society, no more or no less than I see an issue with religious schools and holidays. The only thing worse would be to print the same book, and instead pretend not to be exactly what it means to be. Nobody should have to feel ashamed or afraid, not even the writers and publishers of books like this.

I don't think you meant it this way, but this topic is very much an issue, and if anyone doesn't think so I recommend taking some time to research some of the outreach groups that exist across Canada that differentiate our people from many discriminative cultures around the world.
Last edited by StraitTalk on Oct 12th, 2015, 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

In a wildly whimsical, validating, and exuberant reflection of the LGBT community, This Day In June welcomes readers to experience a pride celebration and share in a day when we are all united.
Also included is a Reading Guide chock-full of facts about LGBT history and culture, as well as a Note to Parents and Caregivers with information on how to talk to children about sexual orientation and gender identity in age-appropriate ways.
This Day In June is an excellent tool for teaching respect, acceptance, and understanding of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people.

That actually sounds like a pretty bad a** book in my opinion. With kids nowadays coming out with their sexual orientation, and gender identity younger and younger, I think its could be a great tool to teach kids about acceptance and to help them understand the situation in a way they can understand. It can help to answer questions they have, and help to reduce bullying.
hail Satan y'all

Return to “Social Concerns”