OK to dump sewage - smoke and mirrors

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

OK to dump sewage - smoke and mirrors

Post by Rosemary1 »

So new minister of environment bowed to Montreal Mayor and gave ok to dump the sewage with some reasonable sounding conditions right? (creating an emergency plan for unexpected, watch the discharge, have something in place to clean up affected area. Oh yes and upgrade monitoring of the rivers' water quality before, during and after the dump.)

Dumping is starting almost IMMEDIATELY the same week of receiving the qualified OK. Montreal must have been able to put all those plans in place with astounding and lightning speed!. Surely no smoke and mirrors or politics of expediency at play here right?
If we ask the right questions we can change the world with the right answers
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: OK to dump sewage - smoke and mirrors

Post by maryjane48 »

its a dumb idea for sure . but better than the sewage that came out of the harper years
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

i'm so glad we aren't there anymore trying to drink that water.

Montreal can begin dumping eight billion litres of untreated sewage into the St. Lawrence River if certain risk-mitigating conditions are met, Environment Minister Catherine McKenna said Monday, calling the situation "less than ideal" but the best solution to the city's waste water crisis.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#151523
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Rosemary1 wrote:So new minister of environment bowed to Montreal Mayor and gave ok to dump the sewage with some reasonable sounding conditions right? (creating an emergency plan for unexpected, watch the discharge, have something in place to clean up affected area. Oh yes and upgrade monitoring of the rivers' water quality before, during and after the dump.)

Dumping is starting almost IMMEDIATELY the same week of receiving the qualified OK. Montreal must have been able to put all those plans in place with astounding and lightning speed!. Surely no smoke and mirrors or politics of expediency at play here right?

Sounds like the ramblings of a disgruntled Harper supporter looking for mud to sling.

I read the whole story and it was abundantly clear that the new Minister of Environment was less than pleased at having been put in such a position by the former Conservative Minister.

I'm sure though that if you have a better solution to the problem, she'd be more than willing to lend an ear.

What's your solution as to what to do with the sewage while a crumbling line is replaced?

You know it's well and good to criticize, not to mention easy to do from your armchair, but what's not so easy is coming up with a better solution, something that would add far more weight to the criticism, and make it seem less petty.

You are aware that Victoria has been dumping raw sewage into the ocean for eons are you not? That example, not being a short term fixed date scenario either, as is the case in Montreal.

Victoria is an ongoing problem, 100 years worth this year in fact, with no end in the foreseeable future either, and you're worried about Montreal. It would seem your outrage would be better directed toward Victoria's governing body, and their wonderful example of foot dragging.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Retrosnap
Board Meister

Post by Retrosnap »

maryjane48 wrote:its a dumb idea for sure . but better than the sewage that came out of the harper years

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Sounds like the ramblings of a disgruntled Harper supporter looking for mud to sling.
<snip>
I read the whole story and it was abundantly clear that the new Minister of Environment was less than pleased at having been put in such a position by the former Conservative Minister.

Wow...for 10 years, we had to listen to the left complain about Harper. The election's over, their side won, and we're still hearing about Harper. He's gone guys...rejoice, get over it, and move on.

But I'll just add this first...in 1984, Liberal PM John Turner was destroyed in a debate when he said he had "no choice" to approve patronage appointments, to which Mulroney (2nd most reviled PM on Castanet) said "You had a choice, sir. You could have said no". Perhaps the new Environment Minister should learn to say no.

Now, try and focus on the thread topic.
35mm photography is a job, medium format is a skill, large format is a way of life.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Retrosnap wrote:Now, try and focus on the thread topic.

Unlike you I did address the topic so you can get off your self righteous soap box now.

What I didn't see in your post is a viable alternative solution.

You got anything in so far as a solution goes, for the problem Montreal faces? Thought not!
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Retrosnap wrote:Perhaps the new Environment Minister should learn to say no.

She did not have a choice. The Conservatives would have made the exact same choice. It had to be done, but the optics didn't look good during an election campaign. Had the decision been made during the campaign, the left would have jumped up and down at how the Conservatives hate the environment and had other choices. Now that the shoe is on the other foot, let's at least admit that there was no other choice, and stop playing politics with every issue that comes along.
Last edited by Glacier on Nov 10th, 2015, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

We continue to treat sewage like poison.
El Cajon has an elegant system.
Sewage is pumped to the top of a local hill, strained and run in concrete channels lined with plants that feed on the organic material. The effluent runs into a large pond, surrounded by more plants, then on into a second large pond in which fish (trout) live. the now clear water runs into a third lagoon in which I have seen people swimming. The water is then used for irrigating highways landscaping. Very inexpensive to run and very efficient.
Modifications would be needed for colder climes, but very economic and eco friendly.
Now that Harper the Horrible is out of the picture, perhaps the younger people can show us how they want our country to run.
We're lost but we're making good time.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

maryjane48 wrote:its a dumb idea for sure . but better than the sewage that came out of the harper years

Bull *bleep* ... "Oil is bad . Pipelines are bad. Tankers on the West Coast are bad".... Says Loverboy Trudumb.

But 8 MILLION litres of *bleep* in a river is good ?

I don't think I'd like to have any of the bubble gum you're chewing...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
django
Board Meister

Post by django »

MAPearce wrote:But 8 MILLION litres of *bleep* in a river is good ?

It's actually 8 Billion litres of *bleep* (8,000,000,000) wow, 8 million would be easy to contain in temporary storage but not 8 Billion. Imagine a chunk of *bleep* that is 2 kilometres long by 2 kilometres wide by 2 kilometres high. Thats what 8 billion looks like. They could probably sell it to an oil company and use it to frac with somewhere if they could store it in the meantime. Or just drill a couple disposal wells and pump it underground someplace nearby.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

It's mostly water.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Did you hear the news, it has been done for sometime now in BC. Victoria shoots theirs right out into the Straight of Juan de Fuca.

The old saying, the solution to pollution is dilution.

I don't think this is being responsible, and it doesn't matter what political party is suggesting it is ok. In time we will be wishing we were more responsible.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Bull *bleep* ... "Oil is bad . Pipelines are bad. Tankers on the West Coast are bad".... Says Loverboy Trudumb.

But 8 MILLION litres of *bleep* in a river is good ?

I don't think I'd like to have any of the bubble gum you're chewing...

as pointed out victoria has been doing this for decades and since your heros have been in charge of bc the most by far , when can we expect your call for christy to step down ? lol and your right my bubblegum has weed init :)
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

and your right my bubblegum has weed init :

I knew it ...

As far a sewage dumping in an ocean compares to this goes , dumping in a fast moving straight isn't ideal either but at least it gets dissipated far faster than a river that runs to it and if you put the gum away for a day or two and do some research, you'd learn that the Feds and Provincial gov't have really nothing to do with the lack of treatment other than mandating that the CRD build a treatment facility .

It's not the provinces fault that the area municipalities keep rejecting the idea of having treatment plants located within them...

And if you think I'm a fan of the BC liberals , you bubble gum has a LOT more than just weed in it .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .

Return to “Social Concerns”