Kelowna is behind the times when it comes to compost

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
e.nicholson

Kelowna is behind the times when it comes to compost

Post by e.nicholson »

Cities across Canada have experienced tremendous success in diverting food waste away from landfills by creating curbside compost collection. Despite this, Kelowna still sends almost 20,000 tonnes of food waste into our landfills annually.

Why is Kelowna so far behind? It's almost time for the 2016 Waste Management Plan Review and it is time residents of Kelowna speak up about the need for compost collection in our city.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Kelowna is behind the times when it comes to compost

Post by Fancy »

Hasn't this been posted before?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Pkunko
Fledgling

Post by Pkunko »

What is the benefit of curbside compost collection?
e.nicholson

Post by e.nicholson »

There is a lot of benefit to curbside compost.
Decomposing of food wastes and organics separately from other solid waste products reduces production of methane and allows the land to be reclaimed. This also lowers Kelowna's carbon footprint.
Food waste can be composted and then redistributed back into the community in place of chemical fertilizers; for gardens, lawns and local farms.
Expansion of the waste management program in our city also leads to the creation of new jobs.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

A lot of people do their own composting.
http://www.regionaldistrict.com/your-se ... nline.aspx
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Pkunko wrote:What is the benefit of curbside compost collection?

Rats Racoons Bears Crows etc etc
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Fancy wrote:Hasn't this been posted before?

Yes it has, no idea why that thread went pfft.

Anyway, my response to the OP is now as it was then: It's not a priority for me, I compost in my backyard. I wouldn't mind if they extended the current yard waste bins to include kitchen compostables, but I have no interest in having or funding a separate bin and pickup.

ETA: I also would not be pleased to have garbage collected only every second week as suggested in the OP's links, not because I fill my trash bin weekly (we seldom fill it full), but often there are things in there (for example meat wrappers) that if they sit in our summer heat for 2 weeks will not only attract flies (maggots are one of the few things that make me gag on sight) but also stink to high heaven.
laura94

Post by laura94 »

I moved to Kelowna from Toronto about 4 years ago. We had a compost program there and they have the most tenacious raccoon population. Making a raccoon or bear safe compost is no more difficult than making a raccoon or bear safe garbage bin. If you rinse your meat packaging before throwing it away there's no reason for it to smell. There's lots of simple solutions for these problems! It really just depends on if people want to make it a priority. I would be happy to spend a few more dollars a year to save compost from the landfill!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Don't care about raccoons or bears, it's the rats that are the problem. So no composting here.
e.nicholson

Post by e.nicholson »

Animals are a concern when talking about the possibility of creating a curbside compost program. Most cities have compost bins that having a locking mechanism to address this problem. It is also important to remember that compost bins only contain the food waste which many people would be throwing in their garbage bins anyways. They do not smell or attract animals any more than regular curbside garbage does now.

Composting independently is an excellent way to reduce waste and better our environment. For those residents who have limited yard space, have time restrictions or are simply unaware of how to compost, curbside collection is a great way to start, and to make composting accessible to everyone.

If anyone has any other concerns this is a great place to discuss them!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

e.nicholson wrote:It is also important to remember that compost bins only contain the food waste which many people would be throwing in their garbage bins anyways.
That part is easy - goes in a plastic bag that gets sealed up and then put in the bin. Separating compost is just another chore some people don't feel the need to do.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I have 2 compost bins in my yard and all organic kitchen waste and some yard waste goes in them. I use the compost in my garden to enrich the soil and it works great. We have been doing this for almost 30 years. Some nice fat worms in there for fishing too. lol
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
atenbacon
Übergod

Post by atenbacon »

Bsuds wrote:I have 2 compost bins in my yard and all organic kitchen waste and some yard waste goes in them. I use the compost in my garden to enrich the soil and it works great. We have been doing this for almost 30 years. Some nice fat worms in there for fishing too. lol

I have one, but saying that I do the same as you and so do my neighbours... Until now I thought pretty much everyone did the same. Thanks to this thread, I can see that the ones that don't are the reason why someone would come on here and post that Kelowna is behind the times when it comes to compost. I'm glad to say I don't fit into that category.
You have to keep an open mind until it is proven one way or the other. You just can't take the T.V. or internet word on it.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

If you don't have a garden or flowers and don't have the room for a composter, what would you do?

Here's what the composting bin should be:

http://www.solidwastemag.com/waste-mana ... 003279330/
e.nicholson

Post by e.nicholson »

Composting individually is amazing, and the fact that residents of Kelowna are already aware of the benefits and positive impacts of recycling and reducing waste shows how educated and environmentally conscious we are as a community. Unfortunately, we are still sending almost 20,000 tonnes of organic waste to our landfills annually according to the Regional District of the Okanagan's waste management review.
I truly believe that if you see the benefits of composting for your household, and on an individual level, then making this more accessible to the community as a whole can only be a positive thing.

Return to “Social Concerns”