'Unexpected item in the bagging area'

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Re: 'Unexpected item in the bagging area'

Post by whatwhat »

Working at a grocery store for 8 years, I can tell you the self-check outs have there positives and negative traits. All of which have been listed here already.

My one tip would be if you are going to go to a self-check out, make sure it is a SIMPLE order. Less then 15 items, easy produce, and no coupons or discounted items. It was always the worst when someone pulled up with an overloaded buggy, or start asking about getting a discount because a can was dented. People would always have a difficult order and start complaining that the self-check out was taking too long.

I personally use the self check-out when I have a simpler order. When I have a large buggy, or need to ask the cashier a question about a price, a discount, or am using coupons I will always go to a cashier. A cashier is (almost always) trained, and knows how to deal with our problems, and large amount of groceries in an efficient way.
hail Satan y'all
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

I always use them when I can. Automation is a common thing it has been happening everywhere for decades. If you don't bother to graduate high school then absolutely your job is at risk of being automated.

Go to college!
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Now that we have automation coupled with longer life spans, we have to make a major change in society.
Used to be a man was his job.........a cowboy was a cowboy, a logger was a logger etc.
Now directly due to automation we have women, men and even kids in the workplace, and a workplace that is reducing the number of unskilled jobs exponentially.
We are headed towards a new society that must reward people who do not have jobs, providing a dignified living for everyone.
I am old, so will not live to see the results but change it will.
We're lost but we're making good time.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

I Think wrote:We are headed towards a new society that must reward people who do not have jobs, providing a dignified living for everyone.
I am old, so will not live to see the results but change it will.

When machines can do most working and thinking, the vast majority of the population that have only their labour to sell will be in for a surprise. When the labourer is replaced with machines and receives none of the gained profits from automation there will be a social awakening. The machinery of the industrial revolution was slow to come to be and innovate, but with exponential growth technology is snowballing at a alarming pace.

That's the point of machinery and technology. Not to make money for the machine owners - but to enrich all our lives.

What happens when A.I starts developing universal products? Products that are compatible with all other products and do not break down or need replacing after 3 years? How will profit be achieved if we are only measuring profit in monetary values?

- Buckminster Fuller
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

gman313 wrote:If you don't bother to graduate high school then absolutely your job is at risk of being automated.

In a few years, even a University education will not shelter you from losing your job to automation.

- Buckminster Fuller
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

For me all my working life, if I was doing any sort of repetitive job, started thinking about ways to automate it.
Only got one patent, but a number of ways of making things I came up with have made it into the mainstream.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Atomoa wrote:In a few years, even a University education will not shelter you from losing your job to automation.

Well, if you have a degree in political science and still work as a cashier, than you might become a victim of automation.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Something tells me that good plumbers, for instance, will always have job security.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Captain Awesome wrote:Well, if you have a degree in political science and still work as a cashier, than you might become a victim of automation.

Abstract thinking and art's type pursuits might be the real worthwhile pursuit that will be left once AI takes over the boring jobs of engineering and resource allocation. If everyone can have what they need why does anyone have to become a victim? It's not shameful that a computer can out smart you mathematically today, and in the near future it won't be shameful to be out-worked by a technology either.

They can work and provide and we can live life and explore the stars because that's what the specisis is working for.

Something tells me that good plumbers, for instance, will always have job security.

Only if we want to stand still or regress as a society. 1000 years ago someone said the same thing about the people who cleaned up the ditches filled with human waste flowing through the streets. Nanomachines will collect our waste through a system of organic self repairing sewers and power cities with it while you read a book about the dark years when humanity were slaves to profit and had to operate machines to enrich their bosses just so they could feed themselves.

- Buckminster Fuller
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Even today it takes plumbers much less time to do the work of 20 years ago, Pex piping has retired much of the work of the plumber and made it so that the average home owner can do the work if he puts his mind to it.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

surprising to me is the fact that 5or six years ago, I used to post this sort of thing..... automation replacing workers, and got boo ed and hissed, now people are realizing that it is happening, the era of "jobs" is fast coming to an end.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

I remember I was at a company meeting where the CEO talked about how we controlled at least 70% of the market share of the technology we were working on, and the biggest part of the plan to keep the company in this position was preventing our competitors from innovating better products.

This was done with copyright laws and intellectual property vectors.

Above my pay grade but that was the plan, which would be the opposite of what Tesla does with their technology by publishing it openly. Planned regression and technology stalling. It made me wonder exactly how far back the need for profit holds us back.

When we switch AI on, the first thing it's going to say is "*bleep* are you guys doing?"

- Buckminster Fuller
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Atomoa wrote: When we switch AI on, the first thing it's going to say is "*bleep* are you guys doing?"

The next thing it will say is "you're no longer needed"

Stephen Hawkings and a few of his colleagues put their voices together and
addressing those scientists who are working on AI said "*bleep* are you guys doing?".
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Ka-El wrote:The next thing it will say is "you're no longer needed"
Stephen Hawkings and a few of his colleagues put their voices together and
addressing those scientists who are working on AI said "*bleep* are you guys doing?".

I already used the quote you are referring to.

What Stephen was saying is we only need to fear AI if we let the machine owners wick off all the profits and leave everyone else in the dark. The current state of economic inequality. All the profits go to a hundred people, everyone else suffers.

When AI tells us we are no longer needed that is a good thing. That means nobody has to work and be miserable their entire lives just to be able to stay alive. Only people who realize they cannot "sell or profit from" AI are the ones demonizing it and quoting Terminator movies.

Luddites were right in a way because the profits were not passed down to them. Karl Marx realized in 1867 that it would be some time before workers were able to distinguish between the machines and "the form of society which utilizes these instruments".

Interesting stuff. Stephen Hawkings picked up where Karl Marx left off.

- Buckminster Fuller

Return to “Social Concerns”