Spanking could be outlawed

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Spanking could be outlawed

Post by Barney Google »

TRC promise puts Liberals on track to repeal spanking laws

One of 94 'calls to action' was to ban use of corporal punishment by parents, teachers

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/spankin ... -1.3376725

Who wants to weigh in on this?
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Spanking could be outlawed...

Post by Rosemary1 »

How can we have a law that permitst the striking of children by teachers and parents yet when an adult other than a teahe or parent strikes a child or another adult they can be charged with assault? Yes this law has to go away.
If we ask the right questions we can change the world with the right answers
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

While I do NOT agree with teachers spanking children...I am wondering if Canada should condone "The State" coming into the privacy of homes dictating how parents choose to raise their children.

Is there a line between abuse and 'correction' and consequences...who should determine where that line should be drawn?
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

We are all going to pay for this one as new generations of undisciplined brats without boundaries grow up to be grown ups without discipline and boundaries.

We see the pendulum has already swung too far the other way when we hear a teenager tell their parent where to go and how to get there without consequences.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

It's a very fine line between disciplining ones child, and abuse. How a parent chooses to discipline there child because un-exceptable behavior, thats a tough one to call. Bringing in the Government to band/outlaw spanking could backfire badly.

I'm totally against child abuse, children do need set boundaries if crossed a known discipline is coming. That discipline/punishment must be agreed upon by both parents, this agreement must be talked about before having children.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Spanking is never a good way to teach a child anything(therefore has no place in the schools). But should parents be put in jail because they spanked a child occasionally? No. There is a difference between overzealous discipline gone wrong (which should never become physical) and abuse. Parent education would go a long way to preventing abuse, some parents just don't know how to do better, and so should be taught.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Stupidity should be banned and common sense should be taught but exactly how do we do it.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Spanking to be Criminalized

Post by Glacier »

Canada’s Liberal government says it will revoke the law allowing parents to spank their children as part of its promise to implement all 94 recommendations of the aboriginal Truth and Reconciliation Commission.

This is a bad decision and a bad way to do it.

If Prime Minister Justin Trudeau wants to revoke Section 43 of the Criminal Code, he should consult with the public and hold committee hearings specifically on that issue.

It should not be done as part of a package of legislation based on recommendations by the TRC.

Children in residential schools were beaten, not spanked.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/12/22/sp ... using-them
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Spanking to be Criminalized

Post by I Think »

Any time an adult resorts to violence, it is a clear sign of lack of control.
I have encountered kids who have had violent encounters, they are always damaged by the violence.
It is not difficult to impart responsibility, without using neanderthal methods.
We're lost but we're making good time.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

That article you linked is a editorial opinion and not an objective news article.
The source also has a pretty bad rep for attacking anything non con.

Looks at these gems?
"Canada’s Liberal government says it will revoke the law allowing parents to spank"
"If Prime Minister Justin Trudeau wants to revoke Section 43 of the Criminal Code, "

So which one is it? The Goverment says it will do it (link please) or IF the goverment wants to do it?

Too bad Glaicer did not weigh in with his on opinion instead of Copy and pasting someone elses.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I Think wrote:Any time an adult resorts to violence, it is a clear sign of lack of control.
I have encountered kids who have had violent encounters, they are always damaged by the violence.
It is not difficult to impart responsibility, without using neanderthal methods.

A) wrong. it isn't lack of control, it is an effort to regain control. B) Not so. I was the recipient of at home discipline in Corporal America and I haven't gone off yet (but I'm thinking about it) nor have I bitten the heads off of any bats. C) If it was that easy, why do we have so many assssssssshole children running around telling everyone to efff offff?

In my life experience, every family who was opposed to physical discipline had children who grew up to be problems.

Thank god for Social Workers; giving the rest of us more reasons to feel like we are failures because we have emotions beyond "would you like a tissue?"
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

I Think wrote:Any time an adult resorts to violence, it is a clear sign of lack of control.

you have no clue what you are talking about, as a child i was spanked a few times, no big deal i deserved it ,a beating is not the same thing of course, from the looks of it lots of kids need a good spanking out there that i can see.
again beatings no
spankings yes
Last edited by the truth on Dec 23rd, 2015, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

TreeGuy wrote:We see the pendulum has already swung too far the other way when we hear a teenager tell their parent where to go and how to get there without consequences.

Then again, everytime you read about a wife beating, assault or murder you can bet that there is a good chance the person doing the assaulting was knocked around as a kid.

Violence breeds violence.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Spanking could be outlawed

Post by Captain Awesome »

I wish I could go back in time and tell some parents to spank their kids seeing how their kids turned into complete wastes of skin.

Then again, their parents probably wish the same thing.

Perhaps our parents had it right.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.

Return to “Social Concerns”