Private name, Private caller

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Private name, Private caller

Post by Queen K »

I got a "private name, private number" call last week.

I got another one today and my hackles went up.

This is falling into the same pattern which lead up to the break in to my house so many years ago. I never forgot how many of those calls I got which is just a fancy way of using Telus to case your house.

So, I googled how to block Private Name, Private Number and got "simply dial *77 and those calls are blocked.
Has anyone else had any success with using this method?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Private name, Private caller

Post by Farmmaa »

Not at all.
I was constantly getting those calls as well - never answered them and no voice mail was ever left - or, there would just be a message left to call an 800 # back with a name but no company or reason for the call.
I tried the *77, but it didn't reduce the calls.

I got rid of my land line.
Still get the occasional one on my cell, but nothing like the constant barrage I was getting before
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Within each cellphone the owner can block there number from showing up on caller ID. I believe that's default setting on cellphones.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Tried it as per the Telus page and all I got was a busy signal when I entered *77.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

You have to ask Telus to activate call block - not sure if it's still a free service.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

GordonH wrote:Within each cellphone the owner can block there number from showing up on caller ID. I believe that's default setting on cellphones.

I'm using both. These Private name/number things are on the landline.

Just a month before the I came home to the break and enter of my house, I got them very regularly. Last night's was at 6:41 pm, I wish I never answered it and moved my car, may have been interesting to see who showed up.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Careful Qeenie, you don't own anything worth risking your life over.
We're lost but we're making good time.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I Think wrote:Careful Qeenie, you don't own anything worth risking your life over.

Wait until harvest time then she will
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

"Private name" does not always mean the caller is some sort of scam artist. I have my own cell set up to show that, because I only give my cell number out to certain people.

Being on "pay as you go" I don't want a lot of incoming calls from salespeople etc. So, by keeping my cell number "private" I avoid getting a lot of unsolicited, and unwelcome, calls.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Shaw has a feature for my land line that will block calls with no number. The caller will get a "canned" message stating "this person does not accept calls from blocked numbers". Works great!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Merry wrote:"Private name" does not always mean the caller is some sort of scam artist. I have my own cell set up to show that, because I only give my cell number out to certain people.

Being on "pay as you go" I don't want a lot of incoming calls from salespeople etc. So, by keeping my cell number "private" I avoid getting a lot of unsolicited, and unwelcome, calls.

That would only help if you were calling them first. Robo calling just dials numbers in random sequence.
You can get an app to block callers on your cell phone but they have to call you first. I just don't answer then block the number.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

oneh2obabe wrote:You have to ask Telus to activate call block - not sure if it's still a free service.

Yes, I'll have to do exactly that. I wish I had not answered the phone. I could hear indistinct noises on the other side, as if the phone was being held up for someone else to hear.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I received the telus telephone directory yesterday, 27 pages thick, and 25 of them were pizza joint advertisements.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

This most certainly is a case for Columbo if thieves are reying on everyone having landlines ,to "case the joint".

Anyone can be calling to sell you something from almost anything.

Return to “Social Concerns”