"Get a job"

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

"Get a job"

Post by Queen K »

This thread is about getting that job. Any job.

What it took.
What questions you were asked in the interview.
Was there an interview?

And oddly enough, it's about how you kept that job.

It's not about long rambling commentary on specific groups of people and how they should get one.

It's about what you did, or your spouse, or your kids these days.
I know at one time a guy could be offered multiple jobs "back in the day." But this is about now, in the modern tech day and age.

My thread, so here's first: I've worked ever since I can remember back at being age 12-14, orchard jobs. I had connections, okay, mom and dad knew the orchardist.

Stetson Family restaurant: 1981, $3.25/hr, inside connection again. But being without a job was the worst. Putting out that resume, getting that interview. I know I've been employed for a long long time and I feel for people in this different time and age.

So what's your recent "getting a job" story?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: "Get a job"

Post by neilsimon »

This may be more suited to "Get a career" than "Get a job", but it worked for me.
What it took (my approach in general form):
1. Analyse local companies that might benefit from my skills (Accelerate Okanagan worked very well for me).
2. Meet people from these companies and get a feel for the culture and actual needs of the company (Meetup helped me get a feel for the local culture and people in my area).
3. Contact the most promising companies to set up informal discussions (most growing or successful companies are hiring, if you are the right fit).
4. Apply for advertised jobs with a well vetted résumé and cover letter. Possibly send this to companies that aren't advertising, but look promising. This step may be optional if step 3 worked out well enough, but most will still want to see these.
5. Repeat until a job you want is offered.

The questions in my interviews were far too specific to be of real benefit to others, with maybe the exception of "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?". Perhaps the more important thing to do is be honest, but creative. If asked about your understanding of a technology about which you don't know, be clear as to how you would address that shortcoming. This won't work if you are completely unsuited to the job, but it's better to find that out before you get an offer. A dream job is only a dream job if you can do it. Landing a job you can't even begin to do is a nightmare.

For me, the "right fit" bit really goes back generations and is due to family traditions and culture (value intelligence over ignorance and creativity over conformity). Then again, I'm a serious nerd. Kelowna has a great Meetup scene for anyone interested in technology. Probably true for other areas too, but that's my field.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I found that mindset helped. "Nothing is beneath me". I took jobs many people turned their noses up at.

I also found that once you had a job, it was easier to get a job. I was cleaning houses for Molly Maid when I interviewed for the job I have now. They took me through the office - "have you ever run a multiline phone system before?" "No, but I can learn". I didn't lie. I showed my willingness to learn. And, when they had a paper jam for the fourth time that day I was able to clean it out properly because I'd had experience with that model of copier before. I was hired on the spot. I had to learn on the run and it was hard.

My job has changed and morphed over the years so I'm doing very little of what I was hired to do in the first place - the attitude of "I'll take a swing at it" and "I'll do my best" has always served me well. Also, it never hurts to do a little more than asked. The first few months of the job I came in half an hour early - off the clock - to get a feel for things. It was appreciated. So here I am, almost 13 years later. Still learning new things, still giving it my all.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Quite often it's not the job, but rather a willingness to work within it's parameters of expectation that some people have trouble with.

For example, when large teams have to come together every day, there is an expectation of professionalism and ethics.
Not everybody "gets" it and that's when trouble starts.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Moved up here from Victoria on the August long 2008 for family reasons. I got off the Greyhound on the Saturday and hit the Castanet classified ads immediately after getting in the door of the ex's . I found two ads for jobs that i had experience in and typed out my resume . Sunday , I went to Office depot and had them faxed in then went home and waited..

Teusday morning at 9:10 the phone rang and I knew it was for me. Arranged an interview for 10 and went dressed for the interview , not to work. I interviewed for ten ,minutes and went with the employer for a site walk through where I looked at some of the equipment I was to use and then made my suggestions on how it could be reconfigured and other pieces needed for it to operate more efficiently . At the end I asked "what time should I be here tomorrow" ? and got the usual " there are more people to be interviewed , we'll let you know if you get the job"..

OK .. sure..

I went home , made a sandwich and by the time I got the first bite in my mouth the phone rang . I start at 5:30 am . by the time I got the third bite into me , the phone rang again . It was the second job I applied for asking if I could start there at 5:30 am tomorrow and saying that , based on my resume and reference checks , I would only need a day to be shown the "ropes" and that I would be a benefit to their org.

DAMN IT ! I declined as I had already accepted the first job.

The secret to my success . Well lets just say that if you want a job to last , pick something that you like doing and that no one else does. Pick one that is physically hard , dirty and at times stressful and there will be no one who would even think about trying to take it from you even if it's only for your yearly vacation.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Never had any luck with jobs . Had to make my own . Sometimes I wish I was corporate . It's kind of a dream of mine . Love to be employed by some big company and ride the gravy train . Unfortunately I've always been a square peg . Looking for a round hole . I accept that . As such I have not applied for or gotten many jobs . I will be following this thread with great interest . It can only help me
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Ask questions. Always ask questions about what's outside of what's being shown at the moment. Grasping the big picture of whatever operation it is your involved makes for more proficiency of those around you.

Pick the brains of those who have been there longer
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Jflem1983 wrote:Never had any luck with jobs . Had to make my own . Sometimes I wish I was corporate . It's kind of a dream of mine . Love to be employed by some big company and ride the gravy train . Unfortunately I've always been a square peg . Looking for a round hole . I accept that . As such I have not applied for or gotten many jobs . I will be following this thread with great interest . It can only help me

You'd hate corporate then. I banged my head against the wall and hated it because there's no common sense for the guy doing the work only doing what the number guys want to trim half a percent
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

As someone who has been on both sides of the hiring process and interview:

• Have someone proof read your résumé and cover letter.
It's amazing how many people send out résumés with spelling errors and incorrect contact information.

• Have a proper, respectable email address.
Many companies only accept résumés online. Your email address is one of the first things people and prospective employers
will see. It's a first impression and a form of marketing.
[email protected] is not a good start.

• Have a respectable voicemail message.
A short, professional message saying you will call back promptly.

• Research the company/business.
I can't tell you how many times I have interviewed people who knew nothing about the company or the position they had
applied for. Who is your target audience? What are they looking for?
Tailor your résumé to your audience. You should be customizing it for each company.
Don't send out generic résumés. If you're talking to everyone, you're talking to no one.

• What unique skills or experiences do you bring to a business/company?
Why should a company hire you over anybody else?
Be specific.

• Your social media page can be your first interview.
It's an unfiltered look at you. Use your privacy setting and be careful what you post.

• Dress appropriately for the interview.
It doesn't matter if you are applying at a coffee shop or a big corporate office.
Don't show up in jeans and sneakers.

• Get there on time.
I was always amazed at the number of people who would show up late for and interview.

I hope these help a bit.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

For every job I've ever had, other than one of the two I hold now, I knew someone who gave me a leg up. Not to say I got the job only because of them, but a personal reference from someone goes a long way. Don't ever discount that.

For my current job, I was qualified, but being highly desirable, I had a lot of competition. roughly 90 other qualified applicants. I figured, I'd apply and see what happened. I wrote a test to prove competency, and was offered the job a few weeks later. I still don't know how much influence my friend had over my hiring or if I did it all on my own, but I have a guess.

If you do go and apply for a position where you don't know anyone, make sure you understand the business. Make their business your business. I'm sure there isn't much worse when an applicant shows up for an interview, or just meets the manager while dropping off the resume/application than not even knowing what the company does. Research the company, find out what your job would be, find out who the customer is.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

RustyCrayon wrote:As someone who has been on both sides of the hiring process and interview:

• Have someone proof read your résumé and cover letter.
It's amazing how many people send out résumés with spelling errors and incorrect contact information.

• Have a proper, respectable email address.
Many companies only accept résumés online. Your email address is one of the first things people and prospective employers
will see. It's a first impression and a form of marketing.
[email protected] is not a good start.

• Have a respectable voicemail message.
A short, professional message saying you will call back promptly.

• Research the company/business.
I can't tell you how many times I have interviewed people who knew nothing about the company or the position they had
applied for. Who is your target audience? What are they looking for?
Tailor your résumé to your audience. You should be customizing it for each company.
Don't send out generic résumés. If you're talking to everyone, you're talking to no one.

• What unique skills or experiences do you bring to a business/company?
Why should a company hire you over anybody else?
Be specific.

• Your social media page can be your first interview.
It's an unfiltered look at you. Use your privacy setting and be careful what you post.

• Dress appropriately for the interview.
It doesn't matter if you are applying at a coffee shop or a big corporate office.
Don't show up in jeans and sneakers.

• Get there on time.
I was always amazed at the number of people who would show up late for and interview.

I hope these help a bit.

Great list.

I would also add:

- Don't badmouth your previous employers
- Make sure to speak as an adult, get rid of "likes", "whatever", and "sh*ts".
- Let people know you're not desperate, you're taking this seriously, and if possible you'd like to grow with the business
- While you might not have the necessary experience, give examples of how you were proactive or displayed leadership at other jobs - those skills are transferable and any employer will look for it.
- Be positive and engage people instead of just sitting there expecting people to ask you questions
- Look people in the eyes and shake their hands
- Follow up by sending a quick note and possibly providing more information about yourself
- Don't list your hobbies on resume. Nobody cares.

If people do these two lists of things, they'll be at top 5% of job searchers and increase their chances exceptionally.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

QK wrote:It's not about long rambling commentary on specific groups of people and how they should get one.

Just a side observation. I looked at this thread at 0545 hours before I started work. By 1200 hours there were some 600 views. How many views now?
And how many posts?
People were expecting a diatribe and vitriol to get their rocks off. Typical. Petty castaneters.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

That quote was especially written for those who love to scream "get a job" at those with whom they disagree with appearance, political views, protest subject (pipeline? "get a job.") or any other criteria people love to imply that someone isn't in fact working.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Aside from the posts above mine,
Whichever job you're interviewing for, show up ready and able to work for that day. Pack your lunch, bring appropriate gear.

And tell them so. That You're here ready to work for the full shift. They'll appreciate that, even if it doesn't pan out that way. It shows that you came prepared regardless of the outcome.

I've been on both sides of the fence as well, and just like first impressions with the opposite sex, confidence is everything.

Don't call to see if they're hiring, ask an employee who the person
In charge is, and show up like above. and ask for.them by name, and tell them you're the one for the position. Resumes in my mind are panty waist. Though needed in some cases but making oneself stand out among a stack of them goes a long way.
beancounter
Board Meister

Post by beancounter »

Good idea for a thread :biggrin:
I've been on both sides of the desk and can say with certainty "first impressions count".

That goes without saying for hiring.

When searching, if the job or the person interviewing you comes across as a 'bad fit', either say thanks but no thanks; or if times are hard and you must take the job if offered, do your best and keep on looking while you suck it up.
I was shocked at the wage difference when we moved here from Alta 25+ years ago. I didn't expect to match my wages after 7 years with one company but I also didn't expect that wages were less than half, particularly when houses were double. :200:

Since no one would believe I was a princess, I accepted a position for a year or two and when the kids went to bed at night, took distance education courses to upgrade/advance. This opened doors to better jobs and eventually I started my own business.

Don't be afraid to make a change, but expect to work hard to make that change work for you.

Return to “Social Concerns”