"Get a job"

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: "Get a job"

Post by the truth »

good luck :up:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Making more than parents?

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#197701

Okay, who else is thinking that these 30 - 40 year olds are also shelling out more than their parents ever did?

Sure they are making more, but that's not the end of the story. It's the cost of living that has outstripped all expectations of getting ahead of their parents.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Got the job . ☺

I'm ready for it .

I start Wednesday
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Congratulations JFlem! :130:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Whooo Hooo great news....
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

RustyCrayon wrote:As someone who has been on both sides of the hiring process and interview:

• Have someone proof read your résumé and cover letter.
It's amazing how many people send out résumés with spelling errors and incorrect contact information.

• Have a proper, respectable email address.
Many companies only accept résumés online. Your email address is one of the first things people and prospective employers
will see. It's a first impression and a form of marketing.
[email protected] is not a good start.

• Have a respectable voicemail message.
A short, professional message saying you will call back promptly.

• Research the company/business.
I can't tell you how many times I have interviewed people who knew nothing about the company or the position they had
applied for. Who is your target audience? What are they looking for?
Tailor your résumé to your audience. You should be customizing it for each company.
Don't send out generic résumés. If you're talking to everyone, you're talking to no one.

• What unique skills or experiences do you bring to a business/company?
Why should a company hire you over anybody else?
Be specific.

• Your social media page can be your first interview.
It's an unfiltered look at you. Use your privacy setting and be careful what you post.

• Dress appropriately for the interview.
It doesn't matter if you are applying at a coffee shop or a big corporate office.
Don't show up in jeans and sneakers.

• Get there on time.
I was always amazed at the number of people who would show up late for and interview.

I hope these help a bit.

Great post.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Jflem1983 wrote:Got the job . ☺

I'm ready for it .

I start Wednesday

good luck
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Well the job has been quite unorganized . 2 days in a row I showed up and they had nothing for me . Won't be wasting my time today .
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Today's the important day. Count on it. Unless it's costing a fortune in gas to get there and back.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Son went out to a hiring fair at BC Tree Fruits on Saturday. He stood in line for an hour and a half, to be asked 5 questions.

Is that what interviews are becoming nowadays? :135:

He got the call Tuesday, orientation is next Wednesday :biggrin:
I haven't failed until I quit.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I am curious now. What five questions ?
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:I am curious now. What five questions ?

I know, right? Teenage boy though - I was lucky to get as much as I told you. "Questions" "About stuff".
I haven't failed until I quit.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Lady tehMa wrote:
I know, right? Teenage boy though - I was lucky to get as much as I told you. "Questions" "About stuff".

And "things"
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Many local industries are in continual flux.
Keep your resume updated. If it pertains to you, have your interests as a hobby, especially if it is tech related, and don't fall behind. Stay abreast of all the latest stuff. The tech industry looks a lot at experience/capabilities although I've known some to find employment without having some specific experience, but had broad knowledge and are very bright. Have confidence and a cheerful disposition and willingness to work extra hard. Don't treat your career as a means to just make $$.

Funny side note:
We had someone come for an interview wearing dress pants, new dress shirt and tie... we knew it was a new shirt because it still had the transparent size label on it. After the interview we thought he was truly a nerd and hired him.

neilsimon mentioned Accelerate Okanagan which is good. There is also indeed.ca and others which may or may not overlap.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Stuck it out . It has gotten better . Nice to work in kelowna for a change . 15 minutes to work beats 1500 km

Return to “Social Concerns”