Presumed Consent (organ donation)

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Presumed Consent (organ donation)

Post by Always Sunny »

The recent article on the gentleman who passed away in the ATV accident had me thinking about this again (http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#161036).

While 95 percent of the adult population supports organ donation, only 19 percent of British Columbians are registered organ donors (http://bc.ctvnews.ca/should-british-col ... -1.2355214).

Instead of requiring official consent to donate organs, presumed consent assumes one agrees to donate their organs unless they specifically opt out.

Personally I've not known anyone close to me having or requiring an organ donation, but I've made sure to register online. It's especially important for be being a single individual with no family nearby. If I were to die I understand that the need to harvest organs isn't something that can always be postponed until my power of attorney or family can be brought out here. I've also been very clear about my wishes to my family, so none of that would come as a surprise anyways.

While I certainly can't speak for everyone, I find it difficult to understand why people would refuse to donate organs upon their death. What the hell do I need them for? I can't think of a better way to go out than to help someone else.

What are your thoughts on presumed consent?
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Presumed Consent (organ donation)

Post by Silverstarqueen »

While I think presumed consent is a great idea in theory, just because of the huge benefits, I don't think you are ever going to get the public to agree to taking out body parts without a person's prior consent. As it is now, I believe they can do it with familie's consent. Look at those numbers and the fact that only 20% have so far agreed to harvesting organs. That tells you most people are not on board with this. A bigger public push to get people to sign up would be a better way to go. Or ask people when they get their vehicle license to sign some part of the form, check off a box, or perhaps when they go to see their doctor, or check in to a hospilal for some procedure. That way people are not forced to donate, but they are pressured to at least make the decision.

I thought organ donation was a no brainer, and if one of my children died I would sign, but then when I spoke with them about it, one of them said no, and gave his reasons. I didn't agree with him, but I would have to respect his wishes, and hope that his thoughts on the matter changed in the future.We have to respect the wishes of those who don't agree, and family members should be clear on their wishes. My husband on the other hand would have happily given whatever body parts, but when he passed away, no one asked.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Even with presumed consent families can veto your wishes.

<snip> Without regulations prohibiting families from stepping in and halting the organ-donation process, all health authorities can do is watch helplessly as another person’s chance at life might be abruptly ended. It’s not a uniquely Canadian problem.

“No one in the world moves forward without the consent of the family,” says Dr. Andrew Healey, regional donation medical lead at Trillium Gift of Life Network, who says that even in countries such as Spain, which has presumed consent regarding organ donors, families can still challenge the decisions of loved ones. “People are often surprised that families have the right to say yes or no to this.” <snip>

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/hea ... e18193449/
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Exactly like oneh2obabe said, even with presumed consent, the family ultimately has the final say (which is why I also made my wishes known to my family).

I came from Ontario where you could actually sign an organ donation card and/or there was a small sticker placed on your drivers license. This readily available and more obvious form of consent definitely helps to expedite the process of knowing if someone was an organ donor. We have no such process (that I'm aware of) in BC that operates along side the actual registry.

While the stats are scary low, I think at least some part of that can be attributed to the fact that a lot of people don't know you must formally register. I told my 65 year old father and he had no idea. In fact, he thought he was a registered organ donor all of these years when ultimately he was not.

While this isn't near the 95% that support organ donation, it basically shows 150% more people believe they're registered to donate than actually are.

Currently 50 per cent of British Columbians believe they have already registered a decision on becoming an organ donor when, in fact, only 20 per cent actually have.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3471612

Keep in mind that 95% of British Columbian adults support organ donation, but there are many of us who don't qualify due to age or medical reason that would still be a part of that 95%
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

In Ontario you can register with https://beadonor.ca/

This shows families that you wish to be an organ donor and most will honour your wish when they see that you took the time to register.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

As noted in one of the articles, a lot of people think they are registered through their drivers licence (as I was at one time). Since that is no longer valid, one must re-register and it is very easy to do.

http://www.transplant.bc.ca/be-donor

It is also easy to verify if you are registered. Hopefully the news items brings awareness to the fact that so many need to confirm their decision to be a donor and re-register if necessary instead of having to go through the steps of opting out. The site showed I was registered far later than the first time I initially signed up. I believe Ontario has also gone through similar changes.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

IF the stats are correct and 95% support it, but only 20% do it it screams a couple things. Firstly that the system of being a donor has failed miserably in it marketing, and 2 that people support the theory of it as it sounds noble and righteous etc etc but still do not trust someone when they ask "can I harvest you?".

No matter how false, I think a good portion of people out there still look at it and think "they won't try to save me they just want my parts", which goes back to issue one, the donor program has failed in it's marketing very very badly.

Now of the 95% though we can drop 30% at least due to ineligibility (if not more), and likely another 10-15% for religious reasons so maybe the actual number is closer to 50% or less for actual people that can be in this and then the gap looks a bit better at 20/50 but with a lot of improvement still available.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The low rate may be partly due to people mistakenly believing they're registered, unaware the province's donor decal system that let people sign up along with their driver's licence or Care Card is no longer valid.
“It’s really surprising how many very well educated people don’t know about this,” Solomon said.

I looked into it and found out that I needed to re-register. People assume incorrectly they are registered when, in fact, they are not. I'd agree that more awareness of the change in procedure might be prudent at this point in time when so many agree with organ donation.
django
Board Meister

Post by django »

https://register.transplant.bc.ca/

They need to fix the website or update it so it'll function on every operating system.
797hauler
Fledgling

Post by 797hauler »

When pedophiles, murderers and whatever criminal charge against a person has gone through and they are found guilty, we should not be sending them to jail and spending $140+ a day to keep them alive in prison.

We should harvest their organs, save some lives, and save some tax dollars helping those who need it.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

797hauler wrote:When pedophiles, murderers and whatever criminal charge against a person has gone through and they are found guilty, we should not be sending them to jail and spending $140+ a day to keep them alive in prison.

We should harvest their organs, save some lives, and save some tax dollars helping those who need it.

Errrrrrrr........... but Canada doesn't have capital punishment.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
django
Board Meister

Post by django »

797hauler wrote:When pedophiles, murderers and whatever criminal charge against a person has gone through and they are found guilty, we should not be sending them to jail and spending $140+ a day to keep them alive in prison.

Uh actually this is why some people in this country are in need of organ transplants. Remember the tainted blood scandal? Our beloved Red Cross was buying blood products from American prisons.
JonyDarko
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by JonyDarko »

Everyone knows about organ donations. If donations are low...then people are not interested.

They need to create an ad campaign instead of trying to force it on people.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

According to what's been posted above, people are interested but some believe they are registered when they aren't, and others may not be acceptable.
B.C. has more than doubled its rate of organ donations in just six years.

http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/159479/ ... gan-donors

An unregistered person can still become an organ donor after death if their family agrees but Jan Phelan, Burke's mother, says that puts an enormous amount of stress on loved ones who are already grieving.

"I was just proud of Sarah because she had thought about this ahead of time," said Phelan.

"She relieved the burden of that decision from her family. And I was very happy to be able to have carried it out."

ICBC launches their three-month pilot program Tuesday that aims to encourage more people to become organ donors.

Currently 50 per cent of British Columbians believe they have already registered a decision on becoming an organ donor when, in fact, only 20 per cent actually have.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3471612
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Veovis wrote:...Now of the 95% though we can drop 30% at least due to ineligibility (if not more), and likely another 10-15% for religious reasons so maybe the actual number is closer to 50% or less for actual people that can be in this and then the gap looks a bit better at 20/50 but with a lot of improvement still available.

From Fancy's post:

Assuming Veovis' calculations are pretty accurate and of the 95% who support it, only about 50% actually qualify, then the stat Fancy posted seems to support that the large majority of adults who can be organ donors at least believe they are. It would seem that the biggest issue is in understanding if you're properly registered, as opposed to simply being noble or righteous.

Return to “Social Concerns”