Presumed Consent (organ donation)

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Presumed Consent (organ donation)

Post by Pat-Taporter »

BC Transplant FAQs

http://www.transplant.bc.ca/be-donor/fr ... -questions

Frequently Asked Questions

I currently have an organ donor decal on my CareCard, do I still need to register?

If I register does that mean I will be a donor?

If I am a registered organ donor, will health care providers make every effort to save my life?

Is there an age limit for organ donors?

Can I register if I have a medical condition?

Can a donor still have an open casket funeral?

Are there religious objections to organ donation?

Can I say who I want my organs to go to?

If someone has registered their decision with BC Transplant and their death occurs in another province or in the USA, will their decision stand?

Why did the decal system change?

Can I register my children?

If I have registered, can I change my decision?

Can my family override my decision?

Can I donate my entire body to science as well?

Does this mean I am also registered to be a living donor?

Why don’t we have an opt-out or presumed consent system where everyone is a potential donor unless they say otherwise?

What is BC doing to increase organ donation rates?

How does someone become an organ donor?

I'm not eligible to donate blood. Can I still register my decision to be an organ donor?

I just turned 19 years old. Do I need to re-register my decision?
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

This seems like a step in the right direction...

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#190003
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

That's a good idea.
Perhaps they could give people preference for access to an organ should they need it, if they have previously signed up as an organ donor.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Silverstarqueen wrote:That's a good idea.
Perhaps they could give people preference for access to an organ should they need it, if they have previously signed up as an organ donor.

That's an interesting take on it.

The BC Transplant website states that age, sexual orientation, and previous/existing medical conditions don't exclude anyone from registering as a donor.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I'm curious what this means:
This program will be the first of its kind in Canada.
Having something on a drivers licence to indicate an organ donor isn't new - that's how I originally signed up years ago was through my drivers licence so what's new about it?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Fancy wrote:I'm curious what this means:
Having something on a drivers licence to indicate an organ donor isn't new - that's how I originally signed up years ago was through my drivers licence so what's new about it?

When I lived in Ontario you could indicate you wanted to be an organ donor on your DL but you still had to take the separate step to formally register to donate. My 65 year old dad found out that he wasn't actually registered after all those years. My guess is that now they'll help you to actually register on site with your DL. Likely plays into why so many people think they're registered when they're not.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thanks - I remember mailing in a card. Doing that right on the spot when renewing your licence is perfect.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Fancy wrote:I'm curious what this means:

I remember that too, apparently because of I don't know which regulations about consent, someone decided the sticker wasn't good enough. so they had an additional registration step, but a lot of people didn't take that extra step. People had a warm feeling because they thought they were donors, but apparently not. Result was, not that many donors.

There was some kind of legal thing, that consent under normal conditions, didn't necessarily mean consent in the future, or if a person was unconscious. I guess it's complicated.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

797hauler wrote:................................ whatever criminal charge against a person has gone through and they are found guilty, we should not be sending them to jail and spending $140+ a day to keep them alive in prison.
We should harvest their organs, save some lives, and save some tax dollars helping those who need it.

First off I appologize for bringing 797hauler's ludicrous idea up again.

Really ? ............ "whatever criminal charge...........we should harvest their organs" (no offense 797hauler, but I call 'em as I see 'em)

BUT Fact Check: 797hauler said it cost $140 a day to keep a prisoner, it's really $320 a day. (off topic just wanted the accurate fact out there) (That works out to $117 G's a year, in case you care where your tax dollars are going)

The sad thing is a good organ donation program is VERY IMPORTANT. Who the heck has screwed this up so badly ????

We had a program, I had the sticker as has most posters discussing. NOW that all gone and a whole new system. And how long have we NOT been organ donors ??? When were the stickers invalid ? Where's that information ?

Media ????? Uh, isn't your job to ask questions ? Not to just regurgitate press releases ??????? Ya, Ya, I know it's only an organ donation program, nothing important, right ? Well..... unless it's you or your loved one that needs an organ, that is.

What a "great" way to screw something up, is change it, without good accurate information.

I wonder what the press release stated ? I ask this because all the news outlets announced the day before yesterday that the locations to register were "any ICBC location".

The first thing I stated to my wife... "OK what the hell is that ? Every insurance agency the sells ICBC insurance ????"

We know about ICBC Claim Centres and ICBC Driver Service Centres. What about private insurance agencies that sell ICBC coverage ??? What about Service BC Offices like in Penticton, who administer driver's licenses ? What about private insurance agencies that administer driver's licenses, like in Summerland, Osoyoos, and Oliver ??????????

Already we are up against grieving families who are approached at the worst time in their life, being asked if they will consent to having organs cut out of their just deceased loved one. Harvesting organs is URGENT, it's the old saying "it's not now, it's RIGHT NOW". I wonder how many times the staff asking for permission, get "I don't know it's so sudden, give me a few days to decide"

I really simapathize with the BC Transplant Agency, which appears to be a division of PHSA (Provicincial Health Services Authority).

They apparently have to rely on ICBC to "get the message out" and administer registering organ doners. Isn't that bloody great !

So what happened in the PR department of ICBC ? "Oh, gee, we're too busy to get involved in another program, we're still trying to figure out how were going to soft sell the huge insurance increases that are coming. Hey, I know, that new guy ? Has he writen a press release yet ? Hey let's give it to him, what can it hurt ?"
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Which makes me think of another idea. How about giving people a discount on their driver's insurance if they sign up. Canadians are generous, but for sure they can't turn down a good deal on anything.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Silverstarqueen wrote:Which makes me think of another idea. How about giving people a discount on their driver's insurance if they sign up. Canadians are generous, but for sure they can't turn down a good deal on anything.

Do you give discounts to everybody or only people who don't drink, don't smoke, maintain perfect health and hence have useful organs?
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

You give a discount to everyone who signs up, that's how you get a higher percentage of signees. Obviously they will have to be selective on the other end, if they end up in a perfect death with perfect organs that can be harvested. They don't require you to be a perfect candidate to sign up now, but they need more volunteers to increase the pool. If someone smoked pot, but has a liver to give when they die, do you think the recipient cares? If they drank, but have a heart to give, do you think the recipient would turn it down?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

How about if the Gov't helps pay for burial services for those who donate.
I think it should be a opt out type program. If you don't want to donate then you must register and what about all the people who don't have a drivers license.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

[icon_lol2.gif]
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Bsuds wrote:How about if the Gov't helps pay for burial services for those who donate.
I think it should be a opt out type program. If you don't want to donate then you must register and what about all the people who don't have a drivers license.

It's always been that you need to register to become an organ donor, so not having a drivers license won't change the accessibility of the current process (https://register.transplant.bc.ca). The drivers license program will just add another channel in which someone can enroll.

Adults who don't drive require the BC Services card with the photo (http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/gover ... on-t-drive). There should be a system in place that the organ donor question is covered when obtaining this card as well.

Return to “Social Concerns”