Transgender Help in Kelowna

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
jesterr

Transgender Help in Kelowna

Post by jesterr »

Hey, so I'm a minor and today I was hoping to ask my mum about taking testosterone. Thing is, I have no idea whether or not Kelowna even has any resources for taking hormone therapy, or how much it would cost. Searched the internet but it's mostly about Vancouver resources and other questions.
Triple 6

Re: Transgender Help in Kelowna

Post by Triple 6 »

I would think that you need to talk to your family Dr. I believe (but don't quote me on this) it would be confidential.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
Retrosnap
Board Meister

Post by Retrosnap »

Another alternative is to contact the Mental Health and Substance Use services department at IH...250-868-7788. Despite the ominous sounding name, I expect that they can provide additional information, and referrals for transgender people and their families.

Here's a link to a recent article which highlights the story of a young transgender girl in the care of IH.

https://www.interiorhealth.ca/AboutUs/M ... 202015.pdf
35mm photography is a job, medium format is a skill, large format is a way of life.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

jesterr wrote:Hey, so I'm a minor and today I was hoping to ask my mum about taking testosterone. Thing is, I have no idea whether or not Kelowna even has any resources for taking hormone therapy, or how much it would cost. Searched the internet but it's mostly about Vancouver resources and other questions.

I found the following with a quick google search,

http://kelowna.bctransresources.ca/

I would consider looking for social services FIRST that connect you to the right medical professionals as well as answer your questions before you move straight to the medical option.

AS a minor please keep your parents in the loop (which it sounds like you are doing)

Best of luck.
330am12

Post by 330am12 »

You can talk to your family doctor or even a walk-in doctor and get referred to an endocrinologist who can help you out. I don't know the specifics but I was referred to an endocrinologist this way. Sometimes the wait time is long though. Two of my friends went through hormone therapy in town, so I know it's possible, you just need to get referred to the right doctor. Good luck!
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Consider also the stories of these people - they tell a story many have suppressed.

http://www.sexchangeregret.com/
I haven't failed until I quit.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

When I read articles like this it renews my faith in Canadian human nature. That a person would "dare" to bring the subject up on a public thread and that people would respond to it in the completely accepting way that they have is a huge step forward in comparison to a few years ago. IMO your comments exemplify what Canada is all about. Thank you.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

I know the Okanagan Regional Library in Kelowna also holds a trans-youth peer support group bi-weekly and that may be of help for you. Being able to talk to others, and sharing resources.
hail Satan y'all
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Dr. Heather McDonald at Interior Health on Ellis in Kelowna offers Transgendered Support
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

There are support groups and doctors in your area that can help you that others have mentioned. But I hope that you involve your mother to guide you and be with you through what will not be an easy journey. Understand that she may have a difficult time too and may need support and help to understand what you are going through. Ultimately most parents want to be their for their kids no matter what so hopefully you will not discount your mother too quickly .
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

You're very right Rosemary!
Sometimes it's helpful for young people struggling with identity complexities to seek advise from others that might appear more objective or come across as more open minded than family. In many ways this can be a subconscious way to seek out opportunities to 'practice ' disclosure scenarios prior to talking to those that are closest. It's heartening to know that in most instances those that are the closest to us, while not talking outright about it, know that deep down inside there are struggles going on and they almost always want to help and understand.
Also, it so important to try to keep in mind that it might take a few attempts at initiating conversations and more than one or two conversations.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
jesterr

Post by jesterr »

Thank you, everybody! I know it's been more than a year later but I finally got back to checking this post since I wanted to bring it up to my mother again (our family doctor was no help, so I gave up for a while). Funny story, I was searching for online resources and I came across this post having completely forgot I made it and thought, 'Huh, this person is in the exact same position I'm in!' Also I do keep her in the loop as well as my dad, and thank you all for the support. It truly means a lot and my heart swelled from all of the help you provided, so thank you again. [icon_lol2.gif]

edit; man my spelling mistakes are through the roof today...
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

The contact person in Kelowna for PFLAG should have some resources available in Kelowna both for you and your parents.

Return to “Social Concerns”