Driverless cars steer debate

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Driverless cars steer debate

Post by Rosemary1 »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#162345

Can see scenario sitting with ICBC claim adjudicator "the accident wasn't my fault. The car made me do it..."

One innovation that can make me nervous. Technology is only as good as designers behind it and useful as its users. This one make me more than a little nervous.

Regulatory bodies are often a few steps behind technological advancements and humans will always be humans. Decision making involving ethical issues can never be built into design. Driver training and licensing, maintenance, insurance issues are just some of the other areas that will need to be addressed before these cars can get a lot of traction.
Even Steven
Guru

Re: Driverless cars steer debate

Post by Even Steven »

I don't see why would you be nervous at the moment. Driverless cars are at least decade away from hitting streets anywhere near you, so why bother even think about these problems.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Driverless cars steer debate

Post by Dizzy1 »

Even Steven wrote:I don't see why would you be nervous at the moment. Driverless cars are at least decade away from hitting streets anywhere near you, so why bother even think about these problems.

Because these problems will eventually be in the present.

Human factor will always be in the equation = whether it be the driver or manufacturer.

The problem I have is if and when a driver can take control and override the automation and how quickly the driver will loose those skills required to do so.

Automation is a tool to assist, not a solution.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “Social Concerns”