Straight People Only Community?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Straight People Only Community?

Post by GordonH »

^^^ lol
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Dizzy1 wrote: If I behave good and take all my blue and purple pills, I get a weekend pass on the weekends :)

Can we vote on that pass?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

There is no way Diz takes all the purple ones.

As it stands, I believe 55plus is a bonus for some, but why would you want to live in one of those places?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

I guess there are three issues here for hookuhgurl

1. Is it legal? Yes, the laws have deemed it legal so your interpretation of the charter doesn't apply.

2. Should you get an exemption? Maybe....maybe not. None of us could possible say with the details provided. However, granting an exemption would be crazy for any development because there is no need to and it would, in fact, set a precedent.

3. Should these laws exist? Sure.....just because some wouldn't want to live in such a place, others do want to. To each their own. In fact, she wants to be in one so yes, it should exist. The fact that she doesn't fit within the rules is too bad but she recognizes the advantages.

There are other choices and it is counterproductive to focus on being denied access to such developments. No different than getting uptight why you can't go to a men's bathroom if you are a woman. Deal with what is allowable.
You and 71 others Like this post
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

I could see wanting to be somewhere there are no little *bleep* running around and nothing to wave my cane at. But who's ready to say 8&@$ it and listen to the clock tick . A lot of 55 year olds are still chasing hot little 45 year olds and thus would not qualify .
Strong and free
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

1. As others point out age and pet restrictions in stratas, rentals, or communities where you can buy or rent a home but pay pad fees or lease are allowed by the law. A person's 'retirement' status is not an issue in a 45+ or 55+ community.

3. Strata developments can set their own bylaws as long as they are in keeping with the Strata Act//Regulations and other relevant laws. Exemptions to bylaws on age and pet ownership are unlikely unless the strata owners meet a 3/4 vote requirement to amend their bylaws at a general meeting of owners.

4. Amongst other choices in housing, there are various subsidized rental housing options for people who meet meet the needs /income requirements. It is by application. Applicants must qualify and the wait list can be long.

5. Cooperatives may be another alternative to check out, along with the broader rental market.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Queen K wrote:There is no way Diz takes all the purple ones.

As it stands, I believe 55plus is a bonus for some, but why would you want to live in one of those places?

she said why in first post
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Rosemary1 wrote:1. As others point out age and pet restrictions in stratas, rentals, or communities where you can buy or rent a home but pay pad fees or lease are allowed by the law. A person's 'retirement' status is not an issue in a 45+ or 55+ community.

3. Strata developments can set their own bylaws as long as they are in keeping with the Strata Act//Regulations and other relevant laws. Exemptions to bylaws on age and pet ownership are unlikely unless the strata owners meet a 3/4 vote requirement to amend their bylaws at a general meeting of owners.

4. Amongst other choices in housing, there are various subsidized rental housing options for people who meet meet the needs /income requirements. It is by application. Applicants must qualify and the wait list can be long.

5. Cooperatives may be another alternative to check out, along with the broader rental market.

try reading her first post again .
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

Interesting post. Has anyone ever challenged the provincial law against the charter of rights? Federal, provincial and municipal laws can be repealed when challenged if they can be deemed "unconstitutional".

Got to love how people will google this, see the strata act and think it must be fine.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Just thought I would pop back from hell for a minute to weigh in here.

While I totally understand why the OP is frustrated, I have to side with the developments right to create and maintain any rule they deem to be necessary as long as it is lawful which in this case it is.

Using the word discrimination can be a slippery slope. Discrimination can be necessary for personal safety and comfort (think the women's only gym "Curves"). Dress codes in some restaurants are discriminatory to some members of society. Gentlemen's clubs which still exist. Height restrictions on rides at amusement parks are also discriminatory. Men's and women's change rooms are a form of necessary discrimination for obvious reasons.

We see it everywhere and in most cases it isn't challenged except when it prevents us from doing or getting what we want.

Not taking shots at the OP here but there is always someone who wants to change the way others think and act in order to benefit themselves. The word discrimination is used in the hopes that it will make those who bar the door step aside for them.

The word itself means to understand the difference between one thing and another. Distinctions are made based on this understanding which is why it is allowed in certain instances.

There is another uglier definition which is the one we tend to jump to when we hear the word but it doesn't apply here.

Saying this stratified property doesn't have the right to enforce the 55 plus condition is essentially saying that they also don't have the right to create or enforce any rules at all because more often than not, rules can come across as discriminatory to some.

I sincerely hope that she and her husband find a place that they can be comfortable in.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

I'm very happy there are over 55 communities. When you're getting up there in age, you just want to live in peace and a place where children running around playing all the time, isn't peaceful. I love kids, but if you want an afternoon nap with the cool breeze of an open window and the kids are making a playful noises, its not peaceful. Young people also tend to have loud parties on occasion and that isn't peaceful.

So yes, I'm very happy these communities exist. I don't live in one, but maybe one day. Who knows?
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.

Return to “Social Concerns”