"Concerning" Rise in Needles

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Re: "Concerning" Rise in Needles

Post by Donald G »

You are right to understand me to say that I do not support doing anything for hard core addicts unless it is in the financial interests of society to do so and then only if society is given the right to forcibly remove such hard core addicts to a treatment center where they are afforded reasonable supervised room and board, sans the drugs except as provided by a doctor.

They have the choice of either quitting the drugs or spending the rest of their lives in and out of such addiction containment centers. For as long and as often as necessary to quit the non prescribed drugs.
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

so do you support city installing more safe needle deposit boxes in high use areas or not? is it in the financial interest to do so? I say its worth the investment to prevent un-needed harms of improperly disposed needles.

once again you have stated you don't feel anything should be done to help or support addicts unless it benefits society financially.

you have explained you lack compassion and want addicts to die or never have been born.

thankfully others are concerned about harms of drugs and increase in needles and unlike you are staying on topic of how to reduce harms of drug use and making suggestions to decrease the numbers of improperly disposed needles such as safe injection sites and additional sharp disposal bins which you seem to flip flop on weather we should be installing more or not.

Any actual suggestions to help reduce the concerning rise of needles, you know the topic?
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

*removed*

Fact. drug use is not illegal, Only possession and distribution is.
Fact. Needles are legal to possess and buy. The pharmacist is the discerning factor whether or not they can be purchased.
Fact. Certain pharmacies actually charge more if not for diabetic use.
Fact. Needles are literally $0.50 cents a piece... Unless one goes to the above mentioned pharmacies.
Fact. Deposits on recyclables don't dictate returns.
Fact. Communicable diseases spread by unprotected sex and intravenous drug use cost us all resources and exacerbate wait times. The former leads by a long shot. Perhaps we should put a deposit on used condoms.... Christ, how ludicrous and assinine is that?
Fact. The leading cause of death and cost in this country is smoking and heart disease respectively.

*removed* You're directly preventing my fellow citizens from getting timely lifesaving medical help because of your lack of education, ideological bias and among many other things, your hypocrisy.

Do you have any idea how much A drop in the bucket this issue is compared to the last fact point? Chew on that while you leave your child parentless.because you want that cheeseburger and a smoke.
Last edited by oneh2obabe on May 16th, 2016, 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Try posting without the insults and word censor workaround.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To whatthe ..

Mostly right but TWO inaccurate statements.

How do you obtain illegal drugs without participating in trafficking and possession ??
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

WhatThe wrote:*removed*

Fact. drug use is not illegal, Only possession and distribution is.
Fact. Needles are legal to possess and buy. The pharmacist is the discerning factor whether or not they can be purchased.
Fact. Certain pharmacies actually charge more if not for diabetic use.
Fact. Needles are literally $0.50 cents a piece... Unless one goes to the above mentioned pharmacies.
Fact. Deposits on recyclables don't dictate returns.
Fact. Communicable diseases spread by unprotected sex and intravenous drug use cost us all resources and exacerbate wait times. The former leads by a long shot. Perhaps we should put a deposit on used condoms.... Christ, how ludicrous and assinine is that?
Fact. The leading cause of death and cost in this country is smoking and heart disease respectively.

*removed* You're directly preventing my fellow citizens from getting timely lifesaving medical help because of your lack of education, ideological bias and among many other things, your hypocrisy.

Do you have any idea how much A drop in the bucket this issue is compared to the last fact point? Chew on that while you leave your child parentless.because you want that cheeseburger and a smoke.

Time to stop criminalizing drug use and time to start treating it as the health issue it is. Besides the fact users are forced to buy from illegal sources, drug users for the most part are non-violent users and not criminals. They need our help and support not be locked in a cage.
Banned

Post by 508 »

Interior Health gives clean needles to users, which obviously has it's pros and cons. The fact that there are used needles being found all over the city tells me that many users can't be trusted to dispose of their used needles in an appropriate fashion.

Why is Interior Health not forced to only distribute needles that retract after use? I'm certain cost is likely the main concern, but we can't put a price on the safety of innocent people and specifically children. The retractable needles can't be reused and there is no danger of anyone being poked with them after they they have been used. Maybe a lawsuit would change the tune of those running the needle exchange programs.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

good point something to think about for sure
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Unread postby 508 » 56 minutes ago

Interior Health gives clean needles to users, which obviously has it's pros and cons. The fact that there are used needles being found all over the city tells me that many users can't be trusted to dispose of their used needles in an appropriate fashion.

When is the last time you or anyone else on this string personally saw a needle of the minute type used by addicts to inject illegal hard core drugs ??

The statement that there are injection needles being left all over Kelowna (OTHER THAN REGULARLY DISPOSED OF IN SAFE DISPOSAL SITES) is complete fabrication. I would be willing to bet that most of the people making that false allegation do not even know what the needle used by addicts looks like as compared to other needles.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Donald G wrote:When is the last time you or anyone else on this string personally saw a needle of the minute type used by addicts to inject illegal hard core drugs ??

The statement that there are injection needles being left all over Kelowna (OTHER THAN REGULARLY DISPOSED OF IN SAFE DISPOSAL SITES) is complete fabrication. I would be willing to bet that most of the people making that false allegation do not even know what the needle used by addicts looks like as compared to other needles.

I have reported a few piles, actual piles of needles, to the Fire Department recently. They were just lying on the ground in a park area. And I had a house demolished recently that had hundreds inside of the walls from the squatters who were staying there. They are all over the place. A safe injection facility is desperately needed here.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Unread postby JLives » less than a minute ago

I have reported a few piles, actual piles of needles, to the Fire Department recently. They were just lying on the ground in a park area. And I had a house demolished recently that had hundreds inside of the walls from the squatters who were staying there. They are all over the place. A safe injection facility is desperately needed here.

What did the discarded "outfit" look like ?? If you are right you are one of the few who knows what a regular addict injection outfit looks like. Describe the needle and the syringe.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Right, because we all know diabetics sneak into abandoned houses to throw their needles out. They were for heroin DonG.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Donald G wrote:
When is the last time you or anyone else on this string personally saw a needle of the minute type used by addicts to inject illegal hard core drugs ??

Last week.
Actually, pretty much every week....but last week was especially fruitful with 6 being found in one spot.
I have to carry a sharps container in my truck.

I think it is safe to say that many people know exactly what drug needles look like and how to spot a place where drugs are being taken regularly - it's not rocket science.

Can you please explain to everyone who is so clueless, exactly what uses for other types of needles there are, and why they would be regularly found scattered around the city ?
Banned

Post by 508 »

"Donald G"Unread postby 508 » 56 minutes ago

Unfortunately I have seen needles in many mainstream areas ranging from parks, beaches, alleys, planters downtown, wooded areas, the lawn of city hall, public restrooms, parking lots,you name it. This is on a frequent (weekly) basis. If you care to know more feel free to PM me. It's an unfortunate problem and it is quite widespread.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

You must have excellent vision to be able to spot that number of 1/2 inch # 9 needle (about the same as thin thread) in the sand and grass while walking past the area.

WADR, as a person who has watched for needles for the last two years on my daily walks through the park, beach and downtown area I seriously doubt the validity of the numbers of needles that you profess to have found on a daily basis. It seems to be more than everyone else in town combined, including the #9 needles disposed of in the many disposal receptacles.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Donald G wrote:You must have excellent vision to be able to spot that number of 1/2 inch # 9 needle (about the same as thin thread) in the sand and grass while walking past the area.

WADR, as a person who has watched for needles for the last two years on my daily walks through the park, beach and downtown area I seriously doubt the validity of the numbers of needles that you profess to have found on a daily basis. It seems to be more than everyone else in town combined, including the #9 needles disposed of in the many disposal receptacles.

You don't need excellent vision because most of these addicts don't bother removing the needle from the syringe any more - why bother when they can just pick up new ones ?
The needles themselves are also attached to plastic caps...it is not just a thread sized needle alone.

I have worked in areas where I have to watch for such needles for the past five years - for my own safety - they are there. They are in bushes around busy commercial properties, stratas, apartment complexes - as well as public parks and green spaces.

I'm not sure exactly why you are so angry/distrusting of those of us who do in fact come across these needles and syringes on a weekly basis.
Everyone who picks them up and disposes of them helps make our spaces safer....it's not a competition to see who is more familiar with the size, make and gauge of hypodermic needles.

Return to “Social Concerns”