Job Market Tough in Kelowna.....

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Job Market Tough in Kelowna.....

Post by Queen K »

Even if you're single, it's a two income town. I worked two jobs for years. But I also was careful not spend money. I've never had cable. Ever. The savings there alone made for a down payment.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

LifeIsTough wrote:Do the math.

I used to make $20 something in the 1990's and early 2000's. My wife made min wage + tips and then more.

Today she makes the $20 something an hour and I start at $12 to $13 hour.

So that's $35+ hour income full time with no kids, no debts and a small mortgage of $890 month.

Kelowna is a two income town.

I'm not saying you can't save money, I just find it difficult to believe you could bank that much.
If you did then more power to you and no kids sure would make a difference. :smt045
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
LifeIsTough
Board Meister

Post by LifeIsTough »

Yah, Kelowna is a two income town regardless, so very true.

My wife and I saved about $1000 month for 2 years when we first got married and then bought our place. We put down about $24,000 into a HBRP "home buyers repayment plan". Back then, houses were very cheap compared to what we have today. I'd say housing prices have more than doubled since then. Since we put $24,000 as a down payment, borrowed the minimum the bank wanted to give us, always were frugal, turned out our mortgage is $890 month. Back then our mortgage was normal and rent wasn't high either. Today, mortgages are $2000+ and rent is usually $1400+

I am good with finances, so I know the exact tax rates and how much we make each month to within $50.

I know exactly how much all the bills are, food, gas, insurance, etc., all within give or take $50 month.

My wife makes about $1890 per check net. = $3780 month roughly.

I start at $12 to $13 all over again and I make $1500 to $1650 month net roughly.

Added the two incomes.

Equals = $5300 month net roughly

Can you see how we make the money we do now?

Food is $1000 month
total bills = $485 including cell phones
mortgage = $890 month (taxes included)
HBRP = $140 month
Gas = $195 month
Car Insurance = $250 month
She cuts my hair $0
Gets her hair dyed and cut every 3 to 4 months $30 month avg.

$2300 month left over roughly, can be used for investing, RRSP's, upgrades, banking up our accounts or whatever.

3 years from today, no more HBRP and no more mortgage = saved $1030 month

Add $1030 to $5300 = $6330 month

So we now go from $2300 month to $3330 month net.

This doesn't include me getting raises over the 3 years, that's more.

If we would of bought a big new house and had 2 kids, you're right and kiss that extra cash good bye.
Last edited by LifeIsTough on Jun 5th, 2016, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What we do in life echo's in eternity
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Good for you, man! By the way, your wife is closer to $30/hour or $60,000/annually from the looks of it.

And they say everybody is broke in Okanagan and can't save money. Look at you!
LifeIsTough
Board Meister

Post by LifeIsTough »

I just got called for an interview/offer with Ironman Holdings - Ramp Attendant. Interview Thursday

So KF Aerospace Thursday after Ironman Holdings.

BC Tree Fruits

I talked with a guy that works there. He says its ok. Basically apples, slaver, etc. I told him about my two other job interviews/offers Thursday. He said do that.

I asked the HR lady, is my position seasonal or 12 months year?

Is it only part time forever?

Is it only evenings? 4pm to 12:30am?

She said its all based on Union and Seniority. So when I get into the Union, I'm the very last guy hired, so if it gets slow, I lose hours or get layed off.

She said its a permanent hire though and this year seems to be really busy but come Winter, who knows.

Don't know what to think about BC Tree Fruits at this point to be honest.....
LifeIsTough
Board Meister

Post by LifeIsTough »

And I asked the HR lady,

- should I make food for the entire day?

- or is the orientation a few hours?

No response.

It seems she isn't making the effort to answer my questions.

Her main response was talk to your Manager tomorrow during the orientation. She also said its union and seniority, so if/when it slows down, it goes by that, seniority.

That tells me if it stays busy like now, I have a job there. If it slow down by early Winter, I lose hours or get layed off......

That's another reason why I never applied at SunRype. From what I remember, its on call no guaranteed hours. So every 8 hour shift you get, is added up towards making the 3 months probation and into the union to get seniority, but you're the lowest on the pole still.....
LifeIsTough
Board Meister

Post by LifeIsTough »

So what I've learned so far about my job search.

- Retail pays min wage to $13 hour, mostly part time with some full time. No benefits until full time. A lot of afternoons, evenings, graveyards and weekends.

- Seasonal work like trades, construction, landscaping, concrete, etc. all pay well but are effected by weather. You work Spring, Summer, Fall.

- Remaining manufacturing plants pay $13 / $13.33 / $13.50 hour start for Kelowna and some in Lake Country pay the same.....

- Professional careers like being a teacher, doctor, lawyer, nurse, engineer, accountant, etc. require a degree (4 years university) and then getting a job in Kelowna the pay is poor and most leave.

Basically, if you have a job you sorta like, just stick with it. Don't expect the grass to be greener on the other side because in Kelowna, this is not the case. It may only be a job, an okay job, so just keep it. That's what I've learned about Kelowna.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

LifeIsTough wrote:
- Professional careers like being a teacher, doctor, lawyer, nurse, engineer, accountant, etc. require a degree (4 years university) and then getting a job in Kelowna the pay is poor and most leave.

That four year degree is the much derided Bachelor of Arts degree required to excel in before being admitted into a higher learning program. From there a career orientated person adds more years to their professional training. For teachers that may by another two years or so, and for others that's six years of medical school on top, depending up which speciality you've choosen.

Too cool for school? Well, manufacturing jobs have been exported thanks to NAFTA and now the PPT. So think again about job options.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
LifeIsTough
Board Meister

Post by LifeIsTough »

Never too cool for school.

But the student loans today.....yeeesh.

I've also seen stone companies pay $15 to $17 hour start full time and they can't seem to keep people or get any.

I've seen a dry waller helper pay $20.00 hour full time no exp and no one is taking the job.....\

I've noticed that many companies don't take pride making the outside of their shop clean, tidy, proper parking, landscaped and professional. The outside is a dump. First impressions....

Some places are cool but turns out there are no breaks and no benefits at all.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I noticed that today downtown on Bernard. Outside window smeared with gunk, filthy window sills, garbage on the sidewalk up against the wall.

Okay, the business owner didn't put it there, but it's the business owner who wants to make a good impression. So go clean it up. Don't send your employee if you aren't willing to do it yourself. But just have it done before unlocking the doors.

Geez, want cash flowing in? You have to look like something. I know we did in the lower mission. Always cleaning up outdoors.

I'd bring a bag of cleaning rags just for the outside dirt.
LifeIsTough
Board Meister

Post by LifeIsTough »

Love the cat.....

I hate turning down a job, drives me crazy but I'm in a pickle.

KF Aerospace final in person interview, full time, 12 months year, 3 to 4 years training, certs.

Ironman Holdings final in person interview, part to full time, 12 months year, training, certs.

BC Tree Fruits, I got the job starting tomorrow, orientation and training. Part time hire, sounds like they're extra busy so they hired us 4 to help. Come Winter, probably back down to normal busy and you know.....layoffs? We are the lowest in seniority. Could wait many months before called back to work again. If it was normal busy, us 4 probably wouldn't of been hired. It's a union shop.

I hate turning down a job but if I take BC Tree Fruits, I say bye bye to the aircraft final interviews and probably job offers.

If I turn down BC Tree Fruits, I go to both final interviews Thursday.

It's a bit of a gamble but its not like I get final interviews like this everyday either.

Advice?????

True, if companies made sure the outside of their shops were clean, proper marked parking, landscaped, proper professional sign and the inside front office is well maintained, in the shop and back, that tells possible new customers this is a well looked after place, and I want to do business here. If it looks like a dump, I would move on......no business given.
Last edited by LifeIsTough on Jun 5th, 2016, 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LifeIsTough
Board Meister

Post by LifeIsTough »

I need advice quickly........
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

You have to decide what's best for you but remember, there could be 2 or 3 candidates being called in for a final interview after which time the company will choose the one they feel is a better fit for the company.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

Life is a gamble, sometimes you win, sometimes you get craps.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
LifeIsTough
Board Meister

Post by LifeIsTough »

That's true.

But if I say no and do tree fruits, there is a good possibility I get layed off by winter.....5 months from now. HR admitted during winter, normal busy, that's when it could happen because its based on union and seniority. Right now is extra busy and that's why 4 of us were hired and part time to start.

Return to “Social Concerns”