Video games and violence

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Frisk
Guru

Video games and violence

Post by Frisk »

This was brought up by Barney in a different thread and I think it should be discussed.
In an age where a lot parents let their children play any video game or watch any movie they want, do you think it will have a negative impact on their mental health?
JollyGreenBully
Banned

Re: Video games and violence

Post by JollyGreenBully »

Too many people bash video games when they don't know the first thing about them. It was perfectly fine for a generation of kids to routinely watch Bugs Bunny go on murderous rampages and slaughter people with axes and dynamite and stuff, but video games? They're the devil because......you know.......they just are.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Personally I think video games have near zero negative impact on kids mental health but make an easy target for knee jerk reactions.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Bugs Bunny and The Road Runner never had 3D realistic blood and entrails splattering all over the screen.

I would welcome having a sharing discussion on the realism of today's video/movie productions vs cartoon images and movies from the past and the possibly of the desensitization to violence and aggression.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

BTW....thanks, Frisk!
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Frisk wrote:This was brought up by Barney in a different thread and I think it should be discussed.
In an age where a lot parents let their children play any video game or watch any movie they want, do you think it will have a negative impact on their mental health?

probably no more of a negative impact than the internet has on them
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

The military uses video games during their training of combat soldiers, how harmful can desensitization be?
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

kgcayenne wrote:The military uses video games during their training of combat soldiers, how harmful can desensitization be?

"The military" doesn't use video games to "desensitize" soldiers.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Horrific violent video games, movies, music doesn`t do a damn thing. Just parents trying to get off the hook for their loser kids.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

I do not know if it has any bearing on anything but according to ALL psychological testing done to date the same parts of the brain are used in processing sensory input (hearing, sight, smell, touch) that you are merely watching and sensory input that you receive while directly involved in the same situation. That may explain while psycho cybernetics seems effective with many people.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I know this is about violence and video games but maybe the problem is that for the most part people are sheltered, haven`t really lived through serious hardships like generations way back. Just a lack of empathy.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Don't forget rock music that corrupted kids. If you played Ozzy backwards you could hear Satan speak.

Nowadays if you play music backwards it sounds better.
JonyDarko
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by JonyDarko »

As far as I know video games have the most strict rating system of all the entertainment that is consumed by kids. Meaning if a kid is playing GTA 5, which is marketed for and towards adults then an adult bought it for the kid.

Parents fault 100%

I am a father as well as a gamer and I do not let my son play certain games that I myself do play. My nephew is allowed to play what ever he wants by his mother and both kids are normal.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I truly know nothing about the subject but have thought about it. I grew up on a farm, we butchered all our own meat including a few pet calves. We hunted and again killed and butchered many different animals and birds. I have no doubt that I am probably less sensitive to death than someone who has never seen it. Definitely less sensitive to blood, broken bones etc.. I do have to wonder if today's hd games and movies for that matter could have a similar effect on some people. They are very realistic and could possibly give some the feeling of actually killing or worse yet the want to feel the real thing. Do some people have trouble telling the difference. I do not know.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Thinking further I remember when I was younger, not that young, but still impressionable trying out all the wrestling holds we saw on TV. You found out fast real body slams actually hurt. Is it possible some actually do want to try act out what they see.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

Return to “Social Concerns”