Creep-catching vigilante

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Creep-catching vigilante

Post by Barney Google »

Creep-catching vigilante

"A Penticton man's mission to out child predators has police urging caution.

Tyler Fritsen went undercover on a popular dating website as a 14-year-old girl and caught two alleged “creeps.”

Fritsen is president of the new Penticton chapter of Creep Catchers, a Canada-wide organization that attempts to catch child predators.

Fritsen uploaded two videos to his Facebook page Tuesday of what he says are confrontations with men he chatted with online. The men, he claims, believed he was a teenage girl.

In the videos, he says the men talked about sexually explicit things, and one allegedly sent sexually suggestive photos.

Posing as the teen, Fritsen arranged to meet with the men, and then filmed the confrontations."...

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#167168
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
gman313
Lord of the Board

Re: Creep-catching vigilante

Post by gman313 »

I am all for this.

However, public shaming is going to become more prevalent in general.

Let me be clear! I fully believe in public shaming and anything to out child sex perverts. It is the lowest of the low a human can go.

This may go off topic but a general discussion around public shaming would be good. What happens if a mistake his made and a guy is beaten or murdered and it wasn't the right guy.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Any evidence he collects is inadmissible. Anything he says other people said is hearsay. The people he confronted have not been charged with anything.

This kid is trying to get famous off child molesters. This is more about him than it is "saving the kids".

He should settle down and put his efforts into joining the RCMP. Someone is going to hurt this kid physically or launch a lawsuit against him and the "creeps" he is trying to fight will end up owning him.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

gman313 wrote:I fully believe in public shaming and anything to out child sex perverts

A man killed himself in Oliver 15+ years ago because a parents group put posters all over the city suggesting that the man was a child molester.

He wasn't.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Atomoa wrote:
A man killed himself in Oliver 15+ years ago because a parents group put posters all over the city suggesting that the man was a child molester.

He wasn't.

If you quoted my entire post you would see I reference the issue of shaming the wrong person.

The guy down in Surrey who is being charged with training terrorists is also saying he is the wrong guy. That one is on the media if he is.

Happens constantly and my guess would be will expand.

So what is the solution to manage public shaming
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

That is tragic and absolutely one of the risks of speaking before you know that facts and hate mongering.

However, when it comes to this type of public humiliation, I am for it simply because those who decide to meet with these guys are doing so because they are predators. that has been established by the fact that they responded to on line ads for sex with underage children. That is the only reason they are there.

It isn't a case of "mistaken identity". They are exactly what and who they are so they need to be exposed.

These guys will be known to many in the community either directly or casually and now that they have been brought to the publics attention in this way, their lives will forever be changed. maybe they move on. Maybe they kill themselves. No loss either way.

A predator is a predator and there should be no tears shed for these people.

I think though that these guys have more of a personal gain motive than they do the altruistic one they claim but either way, the result is the same.

The RCMP have to take the stance they do publicly but my guess is if you could get individual members to speak with the assurance of anonymity that many of them would be OK with it.

As long as they don't break any laws then go for it.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Would it be more effective if they just recorded the creeps showing up and looking perplexed (without confronting) and turn everything over to the RCMP to wrap it up?
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Who is in for Kelowna Chapter?
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

There is no place for public shaming . it is a very slippery slope where innocent and well intended people can be hurt. Anyone with information on illegal activity such as predatory behavior needs to pass it on to the police and let them deal with it and not personally confront suspects.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Can't say as I am totally against these guys doing the vigilante thing, as i am sure they understand the risks.
Would they be more effective if they put the cops on to who these guys are, before they set up the meeting, and then let the perps meet up with the cops instead, so they might be able to build a case with proper evidence so they could actually be nailed.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

I really like this story and what it represents.
Citizens that have had enough.
Our judicial system has put the RCMP and other policing forces in cuffs.
The general public has had enough and the excuses are tiring.

This has been coming for some time, and I can't say I'm disappointed to see some vigilante action taking place.

I can't say I'm supportive of those being "outed" getting boot stomped or worse, as I cannot be the judge as to why they have adopted this behavior. Mental illness is not an excuse, but it is a reason much of the time, and with the proper diagnosis, treatment and ongoing therapy some of these offenders might have a positive purpose left to live out. That said, I am totally onside with letting the public know who they are, and with any luck we can see some laws changed by pushing a few envelopes and toeing a few lines to move and shake our system a bit.

I like the public shaming idea. Whether it be for child predators, butt flickers, illegal dumping losers or for distracted drivers, I am all for letting the neighbors know what kind of people walk among us. It's best for all of us to know who walks among us. We need to look out for each other, and this is a fantastic tool for doing just that.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Graham Adder wrote:I like the public shaming idea. Whether it be for child predators, butt flickers, illegal dumping losers or for distracted drivers, I am all for letting the neighbors know what kind of people walk among us. It's best for all of us to know who walks among us. We need to look out for each other, and this is a fantastic tool for doing just that.

Perhaps. but one needs to make sure they have the right person. 100%. and we know how well that works in the court system.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Here it is;

Guys put out face book posts or online ads masquerading as under age targets.
D bags see the ad or the profile and answer.
Conversation is struck and relationship begins.
innuendo is deftly placed to feel out target.
Target responds favorably and meetings are suggested
D bag shows up expecting to see 14 year old girl/boy.
Instead, is recorded and called out for what he is.

How much 100% do you need in order to believe that the D bag being recorded is the D bag who was looking for children?

Where is the uncertainty here and who gives a crap that these short stains are being shamed in front of the world?

Stop making excuses for people who don't deserve the sweat off your brow.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

gman313 wrote:Who is in for Kelowna Chapter?

I'm interested.
Let me know when you get things up and running.

Return to “Social Concerns”