Should bouncers confiscate ID being used fraudulently?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Wave101
Fledgling

Should bouncers confiscate ID being used fraudulently?

Post by Wave101 »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story--11-.htm

I am surprised the results of this poll are so polarized. I would like to hear some arguments why people think bouncers should not confiscate fake ID? I mean seriously, what is the person with the fake ID going to do? Are they going to call the police and tell them someone stole their fake ID?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Should bouncers confiscate ID being used fraudulently?

Post by GordonH »

imo fake id should be taken & handed over to police to deal with.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

IF.....the suspected ID was actually legitimate when confiscated, that person would not have a BC medical card in the event of an accident or admission to hospital, OR that could be the only source of ID for a body/disabled person.
Too much power to rest upon a bouncer's shoulders.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

I too, would not trust a bouncer to make that decision.

What qualifications do they have to take such a serious action? Are these people bonded?

What if they just decide they don't like someone and go ahead and ruin that person's weekend by taking their I.D.? What if they then lie about it and say they didn't?

I understand fake I.D. in clubs is a problem but there are lots of people who don't look anywhere near their age. My wife STILL get's I.D.ed and so obviously her daughter looks way younger than 19 too. From what I've heard, some fake I.D.s can be really well done. How would you like to hand over your perfectly legitimate I.D. to some bouncer every time you go out just because you look young? There's far too great a chance for an abuse of power there.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

looking4one wrote:IF.....the suspected ID was actually legitimate when confiscated, that person would not have a BC medical card in the event of an accident or admission to hospital, OR that could be the only source of ID for a body/disabled person.

Thats why I posted having id handed over to police, maybe not all id has been renewed with BC Medical services.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

looking4one wrote:IF.....the suspected ID was actually legitimate when confiscated, that person would not have a BC medical card in the event of an accident or admission to hospital, OR that could be the only source of ID for a body/disabled person.

GordonH wrote:Thats why I posted having id handed over to police, maybe not all id has been renewed with BC Medical services.

AND what do you do with the patron until the police arrive?

Send them on their way and hope they don't get hurt?

Detain them?

Let's face it, bouncers are not hired for their intellectual skills and have no right to make decisions that may negatively affect other human lives. They are peacekeepers and basic security ONLY. They are there to protect the business owners interests/liabilities. They are not the police and have no right to withhold other people's property, regardless of the legitimacy of that property. BCDLs and BC medical cards are the property of the issuing agent, they are the only ones that has the right of control.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

OREZ wrote:How would you like to hand over your perfectly legitimate I.D. to some bouncer every time you go out just because you look young? There's far too great a chance for an abuse of power there.

Agree. When I was in my 20's they always asked for my I.D. as I looked so young. When the time comes I hope they asked for my I.D. when I want seniors discount. :D
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

SmokeOnTheWater wrote:Agree. When I was in my 20's they always asked for my I.D. as I looked so young. When the time comes I hope they asked for my I.D. when I want seniors discount. :D

I now hate those signs on the doors of liquor establishments that state: "Look under 50, we ID". I beg every time that they "card" me. I always leave feeling old and insulted.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Thats why I posted having id handed over to police, maybe not all id has been renewed with BC Medical services.

looking4one wrote:AND what do you do with the patron until the police arrive?

Detain them?

Let's face it, bouncers are not hired for their intellectual skills and have no right to make decisions that may negatively affect other human lives. They are peacekeepers and basic security ONLY. They are there to protect the business owners interests/liabilities. They are not the police and have no right to withhold other people's property, regardless of the legitimacy of that property. BCDLs and BC medical cards are the property of the issuing agent, they are the only ones that has the right of control.

Those who know their ID is not fake will stick around to get it back, those who know ID is fake will bugger off.
If ID is fake then BC Medical is also fake & totally useless to be used for medical services the moment it is swiped.
icanthearyou
Fledgling

Post by icanthearyou »

That doesn't happen because digital Id scanners flag the fakes, which the staff proceed to confiscate

looking4one wrote:AND what do you do with the patron until the police arrive?

Detain them?

If it's fake, it's just a piece of laminated paper with fake information on it.

Also, this ->

Chris Harbord with the Ministry of Small Business, Red Tape Reduction and Responsible for the Liquor Distribution Branch explained the current terms and conditions for liquor licencees state that establishments are encouraged, but not required, to retain identification that is clearly false and turn it over to the liquor inspector.
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

Using "fake" ID is fraud and is punishable under the CCC.

What is "Obvious" in the fake ID world? Did they spell BC wrong?
icanthearyou
Fledgling

Post by icanthearyou »

looking4one wrote:Using "fake" ID is fraud and is punishable under the CCC.

What is "Obvious" in the fake ID world? Did they spell BC wrong?

Let me help you with that question..

icanthearyou wrote:That doesn't happen because digital Id scanners flag the fakes, which the staff proceed to confiscate
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

OK. So all the good answers are taken so I will simply say "hell no". Thank you.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

icanthearyou wrote:That doesn't happen because digital Id scanners flag the fakes, which the staff proceed to confiscate
[/quote]

Do ALL bars, restaurants, nightclubs, lounges have and use these scanners? IF so, why is there such an objection to being photographed at these places? AND can you provide a link to the LCB that states that bouncers have the right/obligation to confiscate these IDs and surrender them to the LCB officer?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

looking4one wrote:
I now hate those signs on the doors of liquor establishments that state: "Look under 50, we ID". I beg every time that they "card" me. I always leave feeling old and insulted.

LOL, tell me about it. A certain burger restaurant/chain had a similar policy, "we ID under 35". Um, the legal drinking age in this Province is 19 - if you feel I'm under that age, first of all "thank you", second of all then card me. I'm a responsible adult and expect to be treated and respected in that manner. *bleep* me off to the point that I stopped going there - darn shame, they have good burgers.

As far as the bouncers go, they're not cops. They can refuse entry or discard one from the premises, but I believe that should be the limit of their authority.

Isn't that right Mr. Papageorgio?

Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “Social Concerns”