Walmart VS Visa: Who's gonna win? Costco/MC too.

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
looking4one
Übergod

Re: Walmart VS Visa: Who's gonna win?

Post by looking4one »

Omnitheo wrote:I almost want to go to Walmart just to do this. Get a cart, fill it to the brim with items from all across the store. Put it all on the counter and then when they go to decline my Visa card, just leave it all there.

forum wrote:You are essentially wasting your own time. If you never intended to purchase the goods, then Walmart never sees the loss. LOL. I barely have a free moment to post on these forums, must be nice to have the time to go out of your way to be a jerk to someone earning minimum wage.

That minimum wage earner is being paid by the hour, regardless of what he/she is doing. If lots of customers did the same thing, Walmart might have to reconsider their policies after it starts to affect their bottom line. I am all for supporting the minimum wage earners. That's why I throw all my McD's garbage in their parking lots. It's my way of supporting MORE employees that need a job.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Walmart VS Visa: Who's gonna win? Costco/MC too.

Post by GordonH »

This has absolutely no effect on me, since I will never shop at Walmart and have not renewed my Costco membership in many years.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Anything expensive enough that is sold there (Wally World) is of too poor quality for me to purchase with any card!

Costco on the other hand sells quality products for a reasonable price (compared to others) and I always use my card there and pay it off when it's due. Their warranty is excellent and you get extra with the card.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

looking4one wrote:It wasn't a $50 battery. It was a $50 installation/warranty of a battery. How would you feel if WM charged you $.50 to put the batteries in your flashlight, and if you didn't pay it and the batteries were defective/dead.......no return for you?
What next, printer ink.......TV installs.....?

Your logic is a little hard to follow...

You have to think like someone that is uneducated and ignorant. Often they will install the car battery themselves to save money.
However they don't correctly size the battery, and when they ruin the battery they take it back and claim it is a bad battery.
Or they also ruin something else on the vehicles electronics, and go to the dealership after the correct battery is installed and claim they need a repair "under waranty". The business is paying for these peoples stupidity and ignorance.

If a drunk guy slaps me in the face, should I give him more money to go get more beer and slap me again?

Costco can afford to absorb the people that abuse their return policy, small businesses cannot.
And regarding your TV installs comment...oh yeah...I've seen plenty of TV"s that were wrecked because a person thought they could correctly wall mount it above their fireplace. And when they over tighten the screws on the wall bracket and torque the TV panel and electronics...it gets boxed up and taken back to the store so they can get a second try at it.

If you ever try and run a business yourself one day, you will see people that behave this way in a different light.
jetty1965
Board Meister

Re: Walmart VS Visa: Who's gonna win?

Post by jetty1965 »

Queen K wrote:Okay the Costco one bugs me. I use a debit card or cash, and who the :cuss: carries $400 at a time?

Costco never took Visa to my knowledge. They used to be an Amex shop. So amex, debit card or cash. but now they take mastercard and no longer take Amex.
jetty1965
Board Meister

Post by jetty1965 »

kgcayenne wrote:WalMart contracts out instead of paying janitorial staff well, and now they don't want to pay for cc services. Revenues must be lagging, and this might be the only way to achieve a YOY profit increase.

I don't think they are lagging that much if you want to find all of Westbank/ West Kelowna people they are all in Walmart
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

I think VISA are the ones that needs to see a YOY profit. Why can't they lower their fees to satisfy Walmart?

Walmart wins because they are selling tangible goods.
VISA is selling credit. They have little leverage.
How do you think Costco has done so well without VISA for all these years?
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Costco changed to Visa in all their US and Puerto Rico stores in April 2016.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

forum wrote:I think VISA are the ones that needs to see a YOY profit. Why can't they lower their fees to satisfy Walmart?

Walmart wins because they are selling tangible goods.
VISA is selling credit. They have little leverage.
How do you think Costco has done so well without VISA for all these years?

Costco and Walmart have different clientele (at least partly), it wouldn't surprise me if many shoppers at Walmart rely on their Visa go get their goods - so Visa may have some leverage - but I do agree with most of your post, and Walmart very likely has the winning arm in this one.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “Social Concerns”