Americans collecting Canadian CPP pension?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
nepal
Übergod

Americans collecting Canadian CPP pension?

Post by nepal »

I hope it's not possible for non-Canadians, to simply sign-up for, contribute, and then collect from CPP. But this site suggests it's being done by some Americans. If there is any truth in this, it should be shut-down, so not to drain our CPP.
http://research.agorafinancial.com/research/html/lir_canadiansocialsecurity_0515/?code=LLIRR980&ver=3&n=LIR_candsoc_wTIA_0515

Please tell me this is just a scam and not being done for real !
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Americans collecting Canadian CPP pension?

Post by Bsuds »

You didn't really read that did you.It is saying the money does "NOT" come from the Cdn Gov't but by piggybacking the system. In other words investing your money in the same way CPP is investing. They are trying to get you to invest your money!

They are not collecting CPP!

In other words it is a get rich scheme and rings all sorts of warning bells with me. (can you say Bernie Madoff?)
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Even better - as I discovered during my investigation – the money available through piggybacking DOESN’T come from the Canadian Government… or any other government bureaucracy. Instead, the money available for you comes directly from the private sector… through a portfolio of REAL, INCOME-PRODUCING ASSETS.

Right you are bsuds.

If the numbers are correct though I wish the Canadian government would come out with a CPP dividend mutual fund for investors. With the money fund managers make these days it would be nice if that went back into the system instead of some over seas tax haven.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

My mom is an amercian and has lived and worked in Canada since 1972 and has paid into CPP. I would think she would have the right to collect what she has paid into it.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

WeatherWoman wrote:My mom is an amercian and has lived and worked in Canada since 1972 and has paid into CPP. I would think she would have the right to collect what she has paid into it.

My mom is American has has been here since 1969, and she too has the right to collect.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Every Mexican worker that comes to Canada under SAWP is also eligible to contribute and collect
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

The website in question is a poorly made advertising and designed to sell some sort of a product. It's not a source of reliable information in any way.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

I know an American who has lived and worked in Canada since the early seventies. Since he paid into CPP all that time, I think he should definitely be able to collect. Why not?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I know Americans that retired and moved to Canada. They also get CPP. Same goes for all immigrants.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

Read the link.
This has nothing to do with Americans, Mexicans or anyone working in Canada and collecting CPP.
What they are saying is invest your money the same way CPP does and you will have the same results as they have been doing so well over the years.
Side note.
You have to contribute to CPP during your lifetime if you want to collect CPP in retirement.
My mother who has never worked outside the home does not collect CPP.

In other words, Canada finally found a way for a social welfare program to work… using private industry and the free market.
For example, the plan’s management team operates under an “investment-only mandate… unencumbered by political agendas and insulated from political interference in investment decision-making” (taken directly from its official webpage).
In other words, it’s not hindered by the government in any way shape or form. It has no interest in “winning votes” or “making friends.”
Their only goal is to make lots of money for the Canada Pension Plan... and to help provide a foundation on which Canadians can build financial security in retirement.
And they've done just that by investing in REAL ASSETS from all over the world. They're buying things like public equities, private equities, commercial real estate, infrastructure, agriculture, gold and silver mines… you name it.
As The New York Times declared in a 2014 article, they've been on “a shopping spree of global corporate buyouts, infrastructure and real estate.”
As a result, many of the world’s top assets and businesses are now either fully or partly owned by the Canadians…

In short, it’s all about growing your money through a portfolio of REAL, INCOME-PRODUCING ASSETS… the very same way that the financial geniuses at the Canada Pension Plan figured out. And that’s what I mean by “piggybacking Canadian Social Security.” You follow the Canada Pension Plan’s lead by investing in the same type of assets in your own private account.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Isn't that what everyone does anyway? if they wish to invest they do. if they don't, they don't.

Return to “Social Concerns”