Kelowna twitter town hall

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
annexi
Board Meister

Kelowna twitter town hall

Post by annexi »

I saw the poll where most people thought social media events like this one were a waste of time or something similar. To all those naysayers, I'd like to say this. In what other forum can 20+ people clearly articulate their vision for the future and converse with the mayor? In an hour. And everybody is heard. That is pretty awesome use of technology.
Even when it's bad it's good. More cowbell.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Re: Kelowna twitter town hall

Post by sooperphreek »

i suppose. but like all the white noise in the web void doesnt change anything. and seeing the questions that were shown was like a harper press conference. all rainbows and sunshine and no gloom.
annexi
Board Meister

Post by annexi »

Change happens in ways not all can see. Ideas were shared... Not just between participants and mayor, but between everyone who was there reading or posting. Kelowna is still a small enough community that connections between people and ideas are easily made.
annexi
Board Meister

Post by annexi »

sooperphreek wrote:i suppose. but like all the white noise in the web void doesnt change anything. and seeing the questions that were shown was like a harper press conference. all rainbows and sunshine and no gloom.

And to be fair- one of the questions asked about concerns- people got to talk about issues that need work. It was framed in a positive solution-driven manner.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

in order for change to happen there has to be a resolve of the council and mayor to make them. i am cynical that there is that resolve. many of the ideas have been spitballed by the city. they are just searching for the ideas that confirm the ones they already subscribe to.
annexi
Board Meister

Post by annexi »

That hasn't been my experience over a number of recent interactions we've had with the city & staff on different projects at the community level.

Return to “Social Concerns”