Driving with a handicap

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Driving with a handicap

Post by alfred2 »

Where we live a man who has suffered a stroke,left side it totally not be able to use.He is a senior about 80
Should this person be driving.How do they pass a driver's test? I can't imagain him being able to drive
if an accident is going to happen.Too many of these kind of drivers on the roads here.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Re: Driving with a handicap

Post by Symbonite »

Nope!
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Have you actually seen him driving? How did he do ?

If he can pass the test, he can pass the test. Do you know if he has been retested since being half paralyzed?
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

WADR there are young and old people out there driving with no brains whatsoever. Why pick on him because of a VISIBLE handicap ??

If you are certain of your information and feel strongly about it report him to ICBC but be prepared to suffer disappointment.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

no one is picking on him i just asked a question. my understanding is you are to use two hands on the wheel, he cant move his left hand or foot. how does one get a drivers lic. ,and pass a test? if you take a test and drive with one hand you would fail. so answer that and do not run down my concern i have seen him drive not very well.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

alfred2 wrote:no one is picking on him i just asked a question. my understanding is you are to use two hands on the wheel, he cant move his left hand or foot. how does one get a drivers lic. ,and pass a test? if you take a test and drive with one hand you would fail. so answer that and do not run down my concern i have seen him drive not very well.

usually a stroke/heart attack etc... results in your license being taken away until a Dr gives you permission to drive again.
It very much could be that this gentlemen has disregarded said suspension.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

alfred2 wrote:no one is picking on him i just asked a question. my understanding is you are to use two hands on the wheel, he cant move his left hand or foot. how does one get a drivers lic. ,and pass a test? if you take a test and drive with one hand you would fail. so answer that and do not run down my concern i have seen him drive not very well.

Well if he had his driver's license before his stoke, and it was something his doctor never dealt with, he would still have it. To my knowledge, you don't have to redo your test after the first time, just renew it. So maybe he hasn't had to renew it since his stroke, and ICBC isn't aware of his disability.

Maybe his license has been taken away and he is driving illegally. Going through a traumatic, life changing event like a stroke and losing a major part of your independence can be hard for some people. Maybe he feels like he wants to keep driving regardless of doctors orders.

Is he living with anyone? Have you tried connecting with this individual or a caretaker to express your concern?
hail Satan y'all
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

hail Satan y'all
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

Hand controls. Lots of disabled folk use them. I've ridden with a paraplegic driver and felt perfectly safe.
I birn quil I se
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Obviously alfred2 is solely interested in road safety.

Unfortunately not enough is known about the man, his vehicle or what he did to arrive at his present driving status to make any realistic finding. I am sure that a call to ICBC would insure that all the safety bases were covered.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

even easier just go ask the man its not that hard

Return to “Social Concerns”