New Valu Village on the Westside

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
two_shoes1mit
Board Meister

New Valu Village on the Westside

Post by two_shoes1mit »

This fall another Valu Village outlet will open in the old Staples building.

Does anyone know what portion of proceeds go directly to charity, and are these local charities, since the donations are likely local. I found this on a Google search:

"It’s a for-profit company that operates in co-operation with charities and non-profit groups, which receive a portion of the sales made through Value Village stores.
In Kelowna, the existing Value Village store in Rutland benefits the Canadian Diabetes Foundation and Big Brothers-Big Sisters. The new West Kelowna store will also support those two organizations.

I just wish when they telephone for donation pickups that they would identify themselves as Valu Village instead of saying they are collecting for the Boys & Girls club.

Thoughts?
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Re: New Valu Village on the Westside

Post by Barney Google »

I don't contribute to Valu Village - the original perceived concept has long been lost and is now convoluted.

If I want to 'contribute' to what I deem a worthy cause I give directly to that particular cause or give away directly to those
in need. I've seen some of the stuff I've 'donated' to what I thought was for the needy tagged at ridiculous prices far out of the reaches of folks who really need things and can't afford them.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Graham Adder
Guru

Re: New Valu Village on the Westside

Post by Graham Adder »

This fall I will have yet another reason to take my money across the bridge to support the Westbank community.

I don't get into the politics or the policies of The VeeVee Boutique. I shop at all of the locations in the Okanagan and occasionally find myself using the VeeVee as an excuse to take that lovely drive to that Loopiest of interior cities just to peruse the shoes and drop my dues.

I still get new tagged shirts for under 10 bills.
I still find jeans in my enormous size for less than ten McD's summer drinks.
I look around and see plenty of screaming deals on anything from diapers to drum kits.
Knick-knacks, retro items and collector junk as well as high end kitchen knives, quality small appliances and completer pieces for those hard to find Daltons or stemware with flair. It's all there!

I do agree that on occasion items are prices higher than should be considering their source, the intention and the expectations by those who support. I still find plenty of deals to keep me going back though. As long as I stay out of the politics and admin., I'll be able to keep enjoying my blindness to the facts, while reaping sweet deals on thrift-shop steals.
Rock on Macklemore.

Return to “Social Concerns”