Pokemon Go

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
LordEd
Guru

Re: Pokemon Go

Post by LordEd »

Kids and their newfangled games. Back in my day, we had to imagine our monsters and chase the in 10 feet of snow up hill both ways, and we liked it that way. Now get off my lawn :cuss:
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

The Mindy tran memorial is a stop. Anybody in arms over that yet?
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

hahaha, go ahead and take away a kid's cell phone and see what happens...

now apparently 6 people got ticketed for playing it while driving ??? like we didn't already have a serious problem with people texting and driving ???

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#171555
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

westside105 wrote:now apparently 6 people got ticketed for playing it while driving ???

Wouldn't matter if they were talking or texting on the phone - people that use their cell phone while driving is a huge problem. Too bad cell phones couldn't be confiscated.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

I agree Fancy..but this game just adds another layer to the serious issue of using a cell phone while driving
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

Play Poke......get a ticket.
$368 + 4 points.
http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/171555/ ... s-ticketed
Last edited by looking4one on Jul 26th, 2016, 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

westside105 wrote:I agree Fancy..but this game just adds another layer to the serious issue of using a cell phone while driving

And there will be another game, another app on a device that will get the same people from paying attention to the road. The game is not the problem - the people that are stupid enough to continue using their cell phone while driving is (or watching a movie or putting their makeup on etc. etc.)
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

oh I believe there will be more interactive games like this Pokeman Go...others are seeing the huge amounts of money that Nintendo stock is making off of this, so they will follow..

will be interesting to see when school starts how playing this game will cause problems for teachers..

and give it time, the sicko's will start waiting at that those Pokemon stops (or whatever they are called) for their next victim..this game will make it very easy for them
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

westside105 wrote:oh I believe there will be more interactive games like this Pokeman Go...others are seeing the huge amounts of money that Nintendo stock is making off of this, so they will follow..
Of interest: http://www.recode.net/2016/7/25/1227035 ... pokemon-go
Shares of the Japanese company fell by nearly 18 percent on Monday, a roughly $6.4 billion drop, after Nintendo told investors that the viral mobile game would have a "limited" impact on its business. Investors sent Nintendo’s stock soaring last week when the game first arrived.

At issue here is how much Nintendo profits from the game, which nets cash from in-app purchases and local advertising (to come). In a note, Nintendo reminded investors that Niantic, the startup spun out of Google last year, develops the game and pays a licensing fee to the Pokémon Company — and Nintendo only owns 32 percent of the Pokémon Company.

Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

A lot of releases have that happen, and often investors don't remember the last one that even though they are downloaded million upon millions of times, if no one is buying the extras, then there really is no revenue stream.

Now I know Candy Crush made millions per month, and I can bet that this will as well for quite some time, but the details you point out such as it not actually being Nintendo's game but Nintendo's licence changes what people think will be the profit shares.

It's just a game and a quick skyrocket in popularity for a time, pretty sure the fall of society isn't about to happen from a cartoon .
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

There's chatter regarding Pokemon Go that it gets slow the further you go in the game. Shouldn't be any more disruptive in a classroom than any other pocket game kids used to bring to school (had to feed something or other while kids in school but I sometimes forgot).
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

never said society will fall from this game...but this game being interactive like it is (on a phone, not like a gaming station sitting in a kid bedroom), will have some effect on certain areas of society..

like I said, let's see when school starts how this game will affect teachers and their students...let's see when the sickos of our society will use it to their advantage..

oh and believe me, the add ons that cost money will be coming...they just gotta make sure this game stays in the lime light and everybody is playing it to the point of pure addiction and that they need their game fix..

we're all consumers, just like they want us to be...this generation is being pushed to spend every extra cent they got on stupid stuff...nobody saves their money anymore..nobody thinks of their retirement and how they will live when that time comes (and it comes for all of us)...we all just live in the moment and what makes us feel good right here and now...what's another $20 added mthly to your data plan, or a $.99 app ???
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

I think all schools should have wi-fi and cel blockers installed. Set them to a timer so that only during recess can these devices be used.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

westside105 wrote:like I said, let's see when school starts how this game will affect teachers and their students..
Handheld games were put away during classroom hours - shouldn't be any different.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

westside105 wrote:
like I said, let's see when school starts how this game will affect teachers and their students...let's see when the sickos of our society will use it to their advantage..

You should really download the free game so you can see what it is for yourself. Not much can happen when sitting inside a room, the game is played by traveling to various locations. Hard to travel when in the classroom sitting down...

Now that Angry Birds game? Total classroom killer...right?

Return to “Social Concerns”