Too easily offended??

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Graham Adder
Guru

Re: Too easily offended??

Post by Graham Adder »

mexicalidreamer wrote:A little jumpy there Graham.

Me?
Jumpy?
Never.
Not a bit.

WHAT WAS THAT NOISE?!!

Oop. Um. Anyhow, no.
I'm reiterating what I learned a long time ago. I have not had the opportunity to manually update all of my data since the introduction of Wikipedia. I'll note though that there is more to the story (definition) behind the term.
Thanks for the update. Consider it downloaded.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Graham Adder wrote:You're too easily offended
Am not
Are too

Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

*okay guys, you're offending me. get back on topic. thanks!
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

be honest.JPG
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/p ... -1.3747293

Everyone complains about everything.

Funny how all of my veteran buddies love the airshows. I guess it's because they're all over 30 and not raging sissies
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

"No one — especially the immigrants and refugees that show up new to the city — they're not made aware of what's going to happen," Bastian says."No one tells them, 'Hey, there will be planes — warplanes — over the city. It'll be loud, it'll be disturbing.' So they're caught completely off-guard."

And no one should need to be coddled minute by minute after receiving a wonderful new life in Canada. In comparison I could say I wasn't aware the triathlon would come by my house and a guy on a bike once yelled at my mom so it should be banned.

Grow a thicker skin, learn about your new home, if you prefer your old home go there, if you like your new home, adapt some.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

That story is the heart of the matter. I don't want to be considered to not be compassionate because I am. No seriously. I am.

But this kind of crap makes me want to puke.

Some visible minority group will champion this cause and poof! The airshow will be gone. That's how we do it here. Don't like it? We'll fix it for you.

My mom lived in London during the war and she has lost count of the times that she and everyone else had to run for the bunkers when the Germans made their bombing runs.

She doesn't freeze when she hears the angels or the Snow Birds fly over amd I am pretty sure she has been to more than one airshow.

I know that the above has nothing to do with the experience of the writre but I still feel the burning need to say, Get over it,get over it. All this whining and cryin and pitchin a fit, get over it.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

mexicalidreamer wrote:I know that the above has nothing to do with the experience of the writre but I still feel the burning need to say, Get over it,get over it. All this whining and cryin and pitchin a fit, get over it.

So does everyone know what PTSD is??
Do we just tell everyone suffering from a mental illness to quit crying and get over it??

The thing with PTSD is that not everyone with the same traumatic event will experience it. I am sure that not every refugee suffers the same as the woman who wrote that article, just like how not every soldier in the army suffers with PTSD.

I don't think the answer is to get rid of the air show, but I also don't think the answer is to just tell people to get over their mental illness. Acknowledging that people have mental illnesses and providing them with the proper supports (whether that be a refugee or anyone else) is important.
hail Satan y'all
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

Seriously? While it's understandable that someone with PTSD resulting from some event in their life would want to avoid triggers they cannot expect to stop everything in the world around them that may trigger their PTSD. And some triggers can also be minimized - in this case, ear plugs during air show days could help. How does she deal with celebratory fire works, backfires from vehicles, sound of commercial planes and jets and so on? Counselling and treatment are best hope for helping her to deal with her PTSD.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

So here's a native guy in a Dollarama store and is offended by the store selling Dream Catchers (likely Made in China) but NOT only are they dream catchers, but are for sale in the 150th Birthday section for Canada.

So it's cultural appropriation AND symbolic of genocide.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/do ... li=AAggNb9

What do you think? I see religious stuff for sale all the time. Go shopping and there's something to offend someone. Subway was putting bacon on subs and a Muslim complained for freaks sake. Now this?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Should a person be offended if a brand new acquaintance gifts them some of those coffee diet packets? :up:
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

Last night, I may have overreacted.

So this morning I decided to 'self-censor' (as in the OP article).
Last edited by f/22 on May 24th, 2017, 6:15 am, edited 5 times in total.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Looked at op link. Is that what the thread is still about?

Just one thing-
If one hasn't figured out that simple words have true power over how another feels, perhaps one needs to rethink what they want to feel?

I know, I measure, my words for my significant other and family.

Don't you?
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

[quote="What_the]...

I know, I measure, my words for my significant other and family.

Don't you?[/quote]

I think you've nailed it What_the!

"Think before you speak."

Once things are said one can never take the words away...you can apologize and you can be forgiven

but the words were still spoken and therefore often never truly forgotten.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown

Return to “Social Concerns”