Too easily offended??

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Trigger69
Fledgling

Too easily offended??

Post by Trigger69 »

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Too easily offended??

Post by Dizzy1 »

PC has gone way too far. The way I see it, if you have a problem with something I say or do, then you are the one with the problem - not me or anyone else - so you better put the big boy undies on, grow up and adjust yourself and not expect the world to adjust to what you think is appropriate.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
OgopogoO
Board Meister

Post by OgopogoO »

Dizzy1 wrote:PC has gone way too far. The way I see it, if you have a problem with something I say or do, then you are the one with the problem - not me or anyone else - so you better put the big boy undies on, grow up and adjust yourself and not expect the world to adjust to what you think is appropriate.

Completely agree. As someone who gets called out all the time for "not playing nice" (i.e. not kowtowing to snowflakes) I think the muzzling of free speech has gone way too far. It's made public debate boring and sugar coated in sweet nothings. It's time to pull back from this idea that strongly stated ideas are "offensive." It's just another way to tell someone to *bleep*.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Free speech doesn't mean free from criticism. Just as you have the right to speech, others have the right to criticize what you say. Your rights aren't being infringed on when someone calls you out.

I also think we're too PC though. I'd rather people just say what they want to - then we'd really know who the racists, bigots, homophobes, feminists, chauvinists, left-wing lunatics, right-wing nutjobs, and evil geniuses really are.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Can someone explain how "politically correct" culture affects your day to day like? Like what would you want to say, but feel you can't?

And how would you prefer it? Do you think people should be allowed to openly say racist, and sexist things without anyone saying something? Or is there a happy medium?
hail Satan y'all
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Jonrox wrote:Free speech doesn't mean free from criticism. Just as you have the right to speech, others have the right to criticize what you say. Your rights aren't being infringed on when someone calls you out.

I also think we're too PC though. I'd rather people just say what they want to - then we'd really know who the racists, bigots, homophobes, feminists, chauvinists, left-wing lunatics, right-wing nutjobs, and evil geniuses really are.

Criticism is one thing - it's when people expect you or even demand your speech that is the problem.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

whatwhat wrote:Can someone explain how "politically correct" culture affects your day to day like? Like what would you want to say, but feel you can't?

And how would you prefer it? Do you think people should be allowed to openly say racist, and sexist things without anyone saying something? Or is there a happy medium?

Racism and sexism are two of the things that are getting out of control. I'm white, that's who I am - if you're black then you're black - it's not derogatory, it's who you are. Some women leave bathrooms messy, just like some men leave the toilet seat up - that's not sexist it's just a fact of life.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Now that I think about it...

I actually think the people who don't like feeling they need to be PC are the ones too easily offended. Say what you want and don't be offended when someone disagrees with you. They don't say what they want to because they're afraid of the consequences and they're offended when they get called out.

These people just don't want to be criticized for what they're saying, so they blame the people they're talking about rather than accepting responsibility for their own words.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Dizzy1 wrote:Racism and sexism are two of the things that are getting out of control. I'm white, that's who I am - if you're black then you're black - it's not derogatory, it's who you are. Some women leave bathrooms messy, just like some men leave the toilet seat up - that's not sexist it's just a fact of life.

Yes, yes..

But how does that affect your life? Do you feel you can't openly talk about race and sex at all without being called out on it?
hail Satan y'all
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

whatwhat wrote:
Yes, yes..

But how does that affect your life? Do you feel you can't openly talk about race and sex at all without being called out on it?

I was at the airport a couple of months ago, ordered a coffee and was asked if I wanted cream and sugar, I said nope - just black, thanks. The waitress, who was black went into a hissy fit of Bilblical proportions. Needles to say, yes, it does effect us in everyday life - not knowing what is going to set someone off.

I once posted a meme on FB, showing a bathroom countertop full of make up, curlers, hair dryers and the caption read "girls be like, you left the toilet seat up" - got quite the uproar on that one as well.

One of the companies I work with right now just adopted a policy about jokes - if one tells their a friend a joke, and someone who is eavesdropping finds it "offensive" - disciplinary action will be taken. So, not knowing what everyone finds "offensive" also effects your job.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Not to mention "Merry Christmas" ;)
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

*AH-CHOO!*

God Bless you.

:crazy:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

ferri wrote:*AH-CHOO!*

God Bless you.

:crazy:

A Jew? Here in England?

LOL!
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

Some downsides of extreme political correctness
-can affect careers ( unintentional poor use words or phrase) can label someone as sexist or racist or whatever.

-can silence different opinions and limit honest (if sometimes uncomfortable o unpopular ) dialogue and open discussion about many issue that may lead to better understanding and solutions through policy and legislative changes.

-can be used to pander to special interest groups when politicians are looking to score points.

Extreme political correctness can invite frustration and extreme backlash amongst some, setting stage for rise of the likes of Donald Trumps.
Last edited by Rosemary1 on Aug 31st, 2016, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

I agree with the OP but I think that there is always room for a simple "I disagree" comment.

Because someone else makes an emotionalized comment that I disagree with does not give me the right to do likewise. When that happens all you have is two emotionalized idiots having an argument lacking intellectual thought.

Unless the left frontal pre cortex is given the opportunity to examine your emotional opinion or response before your lips start moving you are using the age old primitive part of your brain instead of the far more recently added intellectual part of your brain. It could be said that the brains of people who respond emotionally have not developed their at the same rate as many others.

IMO every time you open your mouth you help others identify what stage of evolutionary development your brain, as passed to you from your ancestors in your DNA has reached. The more you exercise the intellectual part of your brain the more easily it can control the emotional part of your brain and the less complicated and stressful your life will be.

Realizing that the other person is spouting emotionalized diatribe is a large part of being able to put their comments in the proper perspective. Knowing that they are doing it because the intellectual part of their brain has not evolved at the same rate as yours enables you to understand what they are doing and why they are doing it.
Last edited by Donald G on Aug 31st, 2016, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Social Concerns”