Breaks, Lunches, Paid / Unpaid - whats legal?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Even Steven
Guru

Re: Breaks, Lunches, Paid / Unpaid - whats legal?

Post by Even Steven »

Screw seniority. People who demand seniority are losers who think they should be entitled to be in coasting mode after a while.

You're only as good as your recent work. If it slips, give way to people who want it more.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

LifeIsTough wrote:Maybe I was the last generation were people worked?

I have a cell, I do text but not at work much at all and usually never calling someone either.

Just me.

If employers treated all their employees like themselves, fair, decent, you can talk while working, shop music, paid breaks, nice lunchroom, etc., those happy employees tell their friends were they work......good reputation about the company.

If employers did the opposite as above, they're always looking for people because they quit, those people tell others how bad that company is and the reputation gets out there.....many months to fill a position and that's if they even stay.

No cellphones period on the job (unless job related), any calls directed threw office switchboard (those being only family emergency).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
LifeIsTough
Board Meister

Post by LifeIsTough »

Seniority is important.

If people put in the time, get good at their jobs, then the employer hire his or her buddies, and lets you go.....that's not cool.

Or employers hire someone with a cert but has never worked for them before, letting go those who have been with that employer for many years doing a great job......not cool.

Seniority based on the department you work in.

Not blind stupid seniority but there has to be some regardless.

Otherwise the word gets out that certain employer doesn't care about how long employees work for him or her.....that gets out and good luck hiring more people.
What we do in life echo's in eternity
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

LifeIsTough wrote:Seniority is important.

...to slackers.

I've never worked in a company with seniority, but I always kicked *bleep* at what I do. I got promotions over old hires, I got raises ahead of "seniors", and so on. Cause they were just sitting on sidelines moaning about lack of respect and completely forgetting what it's like to work hard. The only people who raise the issue of seniority are lazy people who think they're entitled to easy life just because they fog up the mirror and managed not to get fired for a year or two.
LifeIsTough
Board Meister

Post by LifeIsTough »

Every place I've worked has some seniority. Not like a union but you put in the time, good at your job and the company doesn't screw you around. If people get lazy and useless, then yah, let them go.

You got to remember, those old farts with seniority helped build the company before you were on the scene, allowing you to get a job later......when you're older, the same will happen to you.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

LifeIsTough wrote:Every place I've worked has some seniority.

To each their own, I guess.
LifeIsTough
Board Meister

Post by LifeIsTough »

Totally hear what you are sayin' though.

Back to my topic on breaks, every place I've worked has had one or two 15 minute paid breaks, 30 min unpaid lunch, based on an 8.5 hour day.

I've never seen any company expect you to work an extra 30 minutes, just to get your two unpaid 15 minute breaks......you shouldn't have to work for your breaks. That's screwing over your employees.

Either you work an 8.5 hour, 30 minute unpaid lunch, no breaks OR you get one or two paid 15 minute breaks or a 30 min paid break.

3 months probation is common. 6 months is also taking advantage of your employees.

Result is most people quit and move on.....
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Its no wonder employers prefer to hire TFW's
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

LifeIsTough wrote:Seniority is important.

I used to think that as well but the only thing that matters to Companies any more is the bottom line. Profit is what they care about and screw any employee who gets in the way of that.

I worked for the same employer for over 30 years and when the crunch came I was retired by demand and many others as well. Some well below retirement age. I was just lucky enough to be 55 and eligible for a pay out and a pension.

They don't care and seniority means nothing!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!

Return to “Social Concerns”